Protecting the LCD screen?

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it's worth getting one of those lamanent type sheets to apply on my LCD screen, or just be careful when using it, which is what I've been doing. What do you guys/girls do?

I was just wondering if it's worth getting one of those lamanent type sheets to apply on my LCD screen, or just be careful when using it, which is what I've been doing. What do you guys/girls do?

I have a D80 and it comes with a see-through snap-on protector. You might check with Nikon to see if it fits your D40.

I've never heard of anyone actually damaging the screen on their DSLR with normal or even rigorous use.

The ones on Ebay are very good and, the best ones are very thin glass. I have some coming in for my D80 and, D300. The Nikon covers get scratched faily easily with me.

There was another thread just today (or tomorrow) discussing camera armor. The consensus was that it was useless.. I tend to agree.

The advantages I see with the AEGIS product is that it is rigid, scratch resistant, and provides a wonderfully clear and glare resistant view of the display.

I just use that laminate stick on stuff you cut to size just to keep from scratches, my oily nose and fingers. I got 10 sheets for I think it was $3.

I go to Staples, Office Depot or wherever, and buy packages of PDA screen protectors for discontinued models (they're dirt cheap that way) and cut them to fit not only the screen, but the top LCD on all my bodies. Keeps them clean, scratch-free, and I put a fresh one on every month or two.

I just use the PDA screen scratch protectors as well. I had some extras laying around from my Treo-750 and placed them on the screen as well as the top LCD screen on my D80 (even with the plastic protector in place).

I go to Staples, Office Depot or wherever, and buy packages of PDA screen protectors for discontinued models (they're dirt cheap that way) and cut them to fit not only the screen, but the top LCD on all my bodies. Keeps them clean, scratch-free, and I put a fresh one on every month or two.

+1 :thumbup:

I had an IstD and now a K10D. When I leave my apartment, my camera is over my shoulder. I assumed the LCD screen on the IstD would not scratch. It simply hung around my neck and brushed against cotton shirts. And, I didn't notice any scratching.

Then I got my K10D and gave my IstD to my sister. Her first comment was, "Wow, the LCD is sure scratched." I looked at it and it was. It didn't render it useless, or even that noticeable, but it was certainly scratched. I'm assuming that bits of grit would blow onto my shirt, or the LCD, and then scratch as it moved against my shirt.

So, I bought some of the plastic PDA protectors and cut them to fit. They worked, after I learned how to put them on, but I usually had some bubbles and they didn't last long. Sometimes one would come loose rubbing against my shirt.

So, I ordered the Aegis. It's dandy. It doesn't do anything active. Just sits there. But, it's easy to clean, doesn't scratch, doesn't interfere in any way. It works.

I actually invested some money in one of the glass LCD protectors and it was sure worth it: you stick it on, it sits there, it doesn't get scratched, you can easily clean it - or to make it short: henceforth you won't have to worry about the display anymore.

I had a look at this Camera Armor...seems really over the top to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back