Psst...come look , some newbie pic to critic

psyclop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to the park to give a try to my new Pentax kx, it has been a long time since I had a camera in my hands.
wow out of 250 pic I kept about only less than 10, and no (wow hey watch this)
in them.
2 picture in particular got my attention they were both shot at manual f-4.5, 1/160 sec one at 200 iso the other at 400.
What I whished to achieve is havind the darker snow with detail and the lighter color tree background, those two picture mix together .
I know photoshop does it easy , Any tips on how I could make that shot ?

snowbad.jpg

snowok.jpg

PS: plus wathever else wrong you see with this pic.

Just a word of advice.. if your subject is vertical (such as this trail), try your shot in a portrait orientation. You'll find it often looks better that way.

snowokcopy.jpg

Ok, I didnt sharpen or alter colors etc.
1. Opened both images in PSE 8.
2. Selected 2nd image and created a new layer.
3. Selected "All" on first image, then copied.
4. Selected blank layer from image 2 and selected "all" Then pasted image 1 to it.
5. Took new image 1 (was blank layer) and used selection tool and outlined the blown out snow, then I cut.
6. New image appeared, I flattened then saved.
Still needs some sharpening and color enhancements.
Hope this is what you wanted and I tried to eplain it, Im sure there's other ways. Good Luck.

Attachments

• $snowokcopy.jpg
    $snowokcopy.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 113
Does this look OOF to anyone else?

Does this look OOF to anyone else?

My thoughts too - not very clear and it's not something that sharpening will fix IMO. Definitely agree about the 'portrait' orientation too.

I went to the park to give a try to my new Pentax kx, it has been a long time since I had a camera in my hands.
wow out of 250 pic I kept about only less than 10, and no (wow hey watch this)
in them.
2 picture in particular got my attention they were both shot at manual f-4.5, 1/160 sec one at 200 iso the other at 400.
What I whished to achieve is havind the darker snow with detail and the lighter color tree background, those two picture mix together .
I know photoshop does it easy , Any tips on how I could make that shot ?

snowbad.jpg

snowok.jpg

PS: plus wathever else wrong you see with this pic.

I can see your attraction to the pic. The image is a little soft, but I kinda felt like playing around a bit. No offence intend to your image and none taken if you don't like this edit either.
wt1rgk

If you like the edit:
- worked with only the darker image.
- screen blend a layer to make the trees lighter
- mask the screened layer to preserve the snow
- boosted vibrance
- sharpened
- applied a cooling photo filter at 5%

The sharpening is a little over the top to recover the OOF.

snowokcopy.jpg

4. Selected blank layer from image 2 and selected "all" Then pasted image 1 to it.
5. Took new image 1 (was blank layer) and used selection tool and outlined the blown out snow, then I cut.
Hope this is what you wanted and I tried to eplain it, Im sure there's other ways. Good Luck.

yes this is what I'm looking for, but not with photoshop with the camera
I've shot that same pic with different setup. but always the same result if you look at the picture histogram the pic is always too clear or too dark.

snowokcopy.jpg

yes this is what I'm looking for, but not with photoshop with the camera
I've shot that same pic with different setup. but always the same result if you look at the picture histogram the pic is always too clear or too dark.

Extreme white snow + extreme dark trees maybe?

You try an HDR yet? Seems like a good situation for one...

Most reactions

Back