Published photography breaking the rules.

I find them to be more like guidelines than actual rules.
Pirates of the Caribbean. :p

Exactly!

The theories of composition, and elements of design are fluid. They are NOT hard fast rules. They are based on "feeling". I don't believe there is any available scientific data to quantify Visual Balance. Visual weight is not measuered, it is "felt", it is instinctual. It come from the gut.

Anyone who says toss the rules is doing so out of ignorance, because they have only scratched the surface of a subject that is deeper than they realize.

These same theories of composition, and elements of design, apply to much more than just imagery. They apply to my craft as well.

That's right

I think it funny that people also think that these rules were invented. I once saw an argument between two photographers about when the rule of 3rds was "invented"

The rules were never MADE by anyone. What happened was someone Quantified something. Someone looks at something that naturally occurred since the beginning of time and then put into words what it was that made that more beautiful or pleasing to the eye

Well
I am an artist, I always break the rules

b/c I don't know the rules.:er:
Which is why you are a 'starving artist'?

If a very wealthy (her father died on the Titanic) Peggy Guggenheim hadn't 'discovered' the rule breaker Jackson Pollock (Jack the Dripper), and supported him and his wife financially for a while, he could well have died in obscurity, his works likely worthless, rather than selling for millions today.
His work really didn't become popular until it was featured in a 4-page spread in the Aug 8, 1949 issue of Life magazine

Many think Pollack just copied Janet Sobel's technique which he had seen at Peggy Guggenheim's gallery in 1946. He only used his 'drip' technique from 1947 until 1950, abandoning the technique shortly after he became a popular artist.
A lot of Pollacks tools (stiff, dryed up pint brushes, a tukey baster) and choice of paint was based on a lack of money rather than artistic intent. Pollacks wife Lee Krasner was instrumental in promoting her husbands art(?).
I always get a good chuckle :biglaugh:when people claim they detect the use of fractals in his work.

And certainly, Jackson's work doesn't have anything to do with the theories of comp, or elements of design. Things like flow, line, repetition, suggested form or shape, balance....

Oh! Wait! It DOES!

And certainly, Jackson's work doesn't have anything to do with the theories of comp, or elements of design. Things like flow, line, repetition, suggested form or shape, balance....

Oh! Wait! It DOES!

The question is, if you had to chance to ask him, would he tell you he was following elements of design or just creating what felt right to him.

There are people who create and people who learn how to create what has already been created.

I'm not saying people should read or learn about artistic design. But what is the fun in creating if it's based off the design you read in a book?

Breaking the rules is fine, but you first need to know the rules before you can break them. Many people forget this. These are the same people who like to use Picasso as an example of breaking the rules.

He learned and mastered the rules before he broke them. I don't care if you are painting, drawing or taking pictures.
Pablo Picaso's father was a professor of art at the School of Crafts, the School of Fine Arts in A Coruña, and later at the School of Fine Arts in Barcelona.

From the age of seven, Picasso received formal artistic training from his father in figure drawing and oil painting. Ruiz was a traditional, academic artist and instructor who believed that proper training required disciplined copying of the masters, and drawing the human body from plaster casts and live models. His son became preoccupied with art to the detriment of his classwork.

Did you read my posts?

I did and to a sense I was agreeing with you. There are guidlines to follow, and then there are the type who could wipe there ass with guidelines.

Emotion is key.

I think what he's trying to get you to understand that even if someone doesn't follow any "guidelines", and their work is amazing, the elements of artistic design are still there. They just didn't need to read about them, they naturally create beauty.

Most reactions

Back