Published photography breaking the rules.

Regardless of whether you're conscious of it or not...you're still following the principle guidelines of what makes an image aesthetically pleasing.
I'd like to change out a couple words....

you're still following the principle guidelines of what makes an image, effective.
It's not always about what is pleasing. It is about what communicates your intention.
If you want your image to make the viewer uneasy, and nervous, you use jaggity, ziggity zaggity lines. You employ the elements of design to communicate your intent to the viewer. Notice I said elements of design, and not composition?

If you drew a picture of a swan on a lake, and you want the viewer to feel a sense of calm and serentiy, you would not use jaggity, ziggity zaggity lines. If this were a photography, and you took this picture using the dutch angle, would it communicate calm and serenity? EVER?

(rexbobcat, you understand this isn't directed at you I hope. Just what you said as example)

But they clash in an exciting way! And that excitement can be used to convey ideas.

Exactly. All this sh!t is a means to an end. They are all tools. And one needs to learn how they work, if they ever hope to be effective artists.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back