Question about a lens for Nikon D5000

Natural_Disaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 AF Zoom lens compatible with the Nikon D5000? I understand it doesnt have the VR....but thought it would serve its purpose if i use the tripod. Any other suggestions and comments are welcome. Trying to stay under the $250 range if possible but really need a longer reach!

Yes it is compatible, assuming you get the Nikon version of coarse. It has a built in focus motor and as long as you don't mind not having VR you should be fine. Is your 55-200mm the DX version? if not than you are getting close to a 300mm focal length from it(200mmx1.5=300mm). Not sure if the Sigma is a DX lens or not.

EDIT:
Thought I should add that I don't have any experience with this lens so I can't speak to image or build quality.

Last edited:
Yes my 55-300mm is the DX.....So is it even worth it to by the other one? Any guess on about how much further reach i can get? Done some research and found it should give about 10 extra yards...but if the 200 is almost as far already..then should i even bother?

Yes my 55-300mm is the DX.....So is it even worth it to by the other one? Any guess on about how much further reach i can get? Done some research and found it should give about 10 extra yards...but if the 200 is almost as far already..then should i even bother?

Is that a typo? Your sig says 55-200mm. If you have the 55-200 and it is a DX then that is what you are getting from it. If it was not DX than you would need to factor in your camera's crop factor when thinking about focal lengths.
A 55-200mm FX (full frame) lens on a camera with a cropped sensor like your D5000 and my D7000 would give you a focal range of roughly 85-300mm. I think the Sigma is a full frame FX lens so on your camera it would be roughly a 105-450mm focal range. So the difference would be really noticeable. This is assuming the sigma is full frame.

If it was not DX than you would need to factor in your camera's crop factor when thinking about focal lengths.
A 55-200mm FX (full frame) lens on a camera with a cropped sensor like your D5000 and my D7000 would give you a focal range of roughly 85-300mm.
That is not correct.

A 55-200 mm FX lens on a DX crop sensor body will give the exact same field-of-view a 55-200 mm DX lens will give on the same crop sensor body.

If it was not DX than you would need to factor in your camera's crop factor when thinking about focal lengths.
A 55-200mm FX (full frame) lens on a camera with a cropped sensor like your D5000 and my D7000 would give you a focal range of roughly 85-300mm.
That is not correct.

A 55-200 mm FX lens on a DX crop sensor body will give the exact same field-of-view a 55-200 mm DX lens will give on the same crop sensor body.

My mistake. I have had several people tell me that when using a full frame lens on a camera with a crop sensor that you multiply the focal length by the crop factor. I must have misunderstood what they meant. Didn't mean to spread false info. :(

You do multiply by the crop factor. But you do so for BOTH FX and DX lenses. So the 55-200 is, in reality a 55-300. The 55-300 would be equivalent to 450.

Ah, I thought that since the DX lenses were meant specifically to be used on a cropped body that they factored that in from the beginning.

I'd save your money and get a non-DX lens. Unless you plan on never, ever upgrading to a full frame body. Your lenses should last you forever, you'll replace bodies way more often.

You'll get better build quality, generally better optics/performance, and future-proofing yourself all in one go. That's just my opinion though :)

Nikon makes good DX lenses, not knocking them. I just think that saving an extra $200 will make a world of difference.

Well the purpose of getting the lens is to shoot photos of my kids football games. Worth it for that purpose?
(so many mixed answers lol)

I'm a huge fan of the Nikon 70-300 4.5 VR. It's about $529 new. I replaced the 55-200 DX with it. I plug this lens a lot, it works great and has excellent reach on a crop body (I used it on a D5000 before I got a D7000). It's usually overlooked as people save up for 70-200 2.8's.

Just a warning.. If the games are at night, then the 70-300 will not get good results. For the same price as the 70-300 you should be able to find a used 80-200 2.8 push/pull, or a used sigma 70-200 2.8.

I have the sigma, and I've got no complaints.

All their games are either in the morning or mid day and will be the same next year as well because of their age group.
I have an offer to do "action shots" and sell discs to the parents this year and next year...which is why im leaning towards another lens. I done the same last year with the 55-200 and everyone loved them but id really like to be able to zoom in tighter on individual players.
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

You do multiply by the crop factor. But you do so for BOTH FX and DX lenses. So the 55-200 is, in reality a 55-300. The 55-300 would be equivalent to 450.
In reality, the 55-200 mm is a 55-200 mm regardless what camera it is mounted on.

However, a 55-200 mm lens mounted on a camera that has a 1.5x crop image sensor, the field-of-view (FOV) the 55-200 delivers is equivelent to the FOV a 82.5-300 mm lens would give if an 82.5-300 mm lens was mounted on a camera with a full frame image sensor.

Nikon DX lenses and Canon EF-S lenses project an image circle that is only large enough to illuminate the smaller than full frame APS-C size image sensor. Nikon FX. or Canon EF, lenses project an image circle large enough to illuminate a full frame image sensor.

Consequently, when an FX lens is mounted on a DX camera body, the FX lens projects an image circle that is much larger than the APS-C size image sensor, such that only the central APS-C sized portion of the FX lens projected image circle illuminates the APS-C image sensor.

In other words, the extra part of the FX image circle does not enter the shutter opening.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back