Farouk Qosay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I've had a question in my head for a while and I always try to research it, but I don't seem to quite understand the answers given to me.

Are wide-angle lenses compatible with the Canon EOS 70D (Crop-frame sensor)?
If the answer is ''yes'', what are the best wide-angle lenses that I could use for real estate photography? or wide-angle lenses that you recommend me to get if I have a Canon EOS 70D

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely. I'm not a Canonnite, so I can't give you specifics on which lenses, but you're good to at least 18mm, and probably more like 10. As far as real-estate work goes, I much prefer longer focal lengths and stitching multiple images. This provides a more accurate and less distorted representation of the residence ('though there are times when you NEED that ultra-wide angle look).

Absolutely. I'm not a Canonnite, so I can't give you specifics on which lenses, but you're good to at least 18mm, and probably more like 10. As far as real-estate work goes, I much prefer longer focal lengths and stitching multiple images. This provides a more accurate and less distorted representation of the residence ('though there are times when you NEED that ultra-wide angle look).

Thank you very much! Appreciate it!

Take a look at the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, which comes in a Canon mount. I have one for Nikon and am very pleased with it. It is very sharp, f3.5 over the whole zoom range, light and compact and its a great value at $400. There is some barrel distortion, which is easily corrected in PP. It it not a VR lens, but you really don't need it at 10-20mm focal lengths. I use it for landscapes and astrophotography, but it should work real well for real estate.

This is perfect! Thanks a lot man

Take a look at the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, which comes in a Canon mount. I have one for Nikon and am very pleased with it. It is very sharp, f3.5 over the whole zoom range, light and compact and its a great value at $400. There is some barrel distortion, which is easily corrected in PP. It it not a VR lens, but you really don't need it at 10-20mm focal lengths. I use it for landscapes and astrophotography, but it should work real well for real estate.

Hello everyone,

I've had a question in my head for a while and I always try to research it, but I don't seem to quite understand the answers given to me.

Are wide-angle lenses compatible with the Canon EOS 70D (Crop-frame sensor)?
If the answer is ''yes'', what are the best wide-angle lenses that I could use for real estate photography? or wide-angle lenses that you recommend me to get if I have a Canon EOS 70D

Thanks in advance!

ONLY if they are EOS mount. There are quite a collection lens mounts, practically all of which will have wide angle examples. What classes for wide angle on some cameras won't be wide angle at all on your 70D.
The standard APSC kit lens will go to a moderately wide FOV, but I suspect wider would often be an advantage for real estate.
I'd probably opt for one of the versions of either the Sigma 10-20 or the Tamron 10-24...

Just be aware that the wider you go the more wide angle perspective distortion you will have.
Some of that is correctable in post processing.

Thank you, everyone, for the time! now I have a good idea about what I need, much appreciation

There are many wide-angle lenses available. Your "kit" lens is probably at 18-55mm ... which lets you get moderately wide, but not extremely wide.

You can go wider with the EF-S 10-18mm (there's also a 10-22mm) and there are some 3rd party lenses by Sigma and Tamron.

Wide angle lenses will "stretch" the depth of as scene (making things seem farther away) and this has the effect of making rooms seem bigger. But there are some issues when you shoot with ultra-wide lenses.

One issue is that any vertical lines (door frames, windows, appliances, etc.) will seem to "lean" either in toward the center of the frame or away from it. The distortion happens if the lens is not perfectly level. In other words if you level the camera so that the lens isn't pointed upward or downward than your verticals will be maintained as verticals. But if you let the lens tilt up or down, you'll get that leaning effect.

Tilt shift lenses are designed to compensate for this but they are very expensive lenses. You can also correct for the distortions in processing software (e.g. Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.) but the correction turns the image into a trapezoid so you have to crop the image back to a rectangle. This means you have to leave a lot of extra space for the crop. (If possible, try to make sure the camera lens is "level" when you take the shot to minimize the amount of correcting and cropping required.)

Photos stitching is another technique that some photographers use. I had seen a video that a photographer took few shots with a Canon Tilt shift lens in Portrait mode and combine them later into one single interior photo (include a two stories tall ceiling)

So if you do not have a wide enough lens and have a tripod, photo stitching maybe another way to achieve wide angle shots.

Most reactions

Back