Question on D70

carsyn1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Nikon D70 and a Nikon D100 that have both been doing something weird. At appx. the same time, I am getting pix that are extremely white, bright flash, or are not enough light. Taken one right after each other set on auto or P
What has happened? Do I need to get them both checked out?
Help! and please hurry!

carsyn1 said:
I have a Nikon D70 and a Nikon D100 that have both been doing something weird. At appx. the same time, I am getting pix that are extremely white, bright flash, or are not enough light. Taken one right after each other set on auto or P
What has happened? Do I need to get them both checked out?
Help! and please hurry!

Same lens or different lens? Same scene or different?

Try a reset of all functions to factory settings. Then try them again. I don't have those models so I can't tell you how. Just know you can. Maybe check with a different card as well.

Not sure if you can do it but maybe a refresh of the firmware (at least check if a new version is available).

So when you take 3 pictures you get one normal, one over exposed and one underexposed? Sounds like automated EV bracketing is turned on. If you do not use continuous shots the camera will expose the first, adjust the next to be a set EV stop down, and the one after to be an EV stop up depending on settings. At least that's how the function works on the D200 and I know the D70 and D100's have them.

I am taking shots of the same subject/area, not in continuous mode, and it is random at when it will mess up (over-expose or under-expose). I just got back from a wedding and once, 5 shots in a row were bad, then 15 good ones. Could it be the auto/F-stop is not reading correctly? And should I try to take it to a professional Nikon tech for help or can I re-set something. I tried the EV and no difference.
Please help

I reckon you dont have enough knowledge to be out shooting weddings, I think you need to learn more about flash photography and manual camera modes, P and auto are fine if you want a chimpanzee to take your wedding shots but for decent daylight flash without over/under exposure a little reading and more understanding of whats going on is required.

Flash Harry said:
I reckon you dont have enough knowledge to be out shooting weddings

Maybe not shooting for pay but for own purpose??

Anyway there is a reset for all camera functions to factory settings.

A soft reset "hold down the bkt and metering buttons for approx 2 seconds" they are the ones with green dots. This is with camera power on. This resets some of the camera functions (WB, image size, image quality, etc).

There is a problem with Nikon d-70 known as "BGLOD" blinking green light of death. It starts with erratic metering and then the camera eventually fails. I am having trouble online, so I can't find you a link at the moment.

Do a controlled test establish what is causing it.

Set the metres to manual and use the sunny 16 rule on something lit by the sun. f16 iso100 shutter 1/100th, take lots of shots. If they all turn out correct then you can rule out shutter problems.

Now do it again in Aperature priority. Set it to f/16 and metre of some green grass at iso100. In center weighted and matrix metring the shutter should be around the 1/80-1/160mark. take shots continuously. try to establish if the light metre is playing up. If it is try it at other settings too.

If something is really broken, the goal here is to have some information about what causes the problem and under what conditions it happens. Check the EXIF data of your previous shots too. Make sure that the aperature is correct etc.

I have another theory too. Look into the lens stopped down at f/22 and hit the DOF preview button on and off continuously. I have a lense with a jammed aperature blade. It used to be slow responding to close so it only worked correctly at f4, or at low shutter speeds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back