question

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
after posting a shot, how do you feel about some d/l it and tweaking it to their liking and reposting it without asking first? do you feel that is an acceptable form of critique?

Unless the user specifially asked for a photo to be edited either in the post or in their signature with an "OTE"=Okay to Edit then permission should be obtained first. There is a sticky that addresses this in the critique section, perhaps we should put one in the general gallery as well if it's been an issue. Thanks for bringing this up, JonMikal, it can be a sensitive issue for many artists.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7701

I have edited photos in the past without asking(sorry)

But I don't do it anymore unless they give me permission. I don't think it's good to do unless you ask or they ask you.

IMO It's just a touchy subject that we have to be sensative to other's feelings.
I think that if we could get something in our User CP that we could enable or turn off that has a small green dot or something over on the left of our posts(under our avatar) That it would say whether anyone has permission or not.
Would that work?

Personally, it doesn't really bother me that much if its a photo I'm wanting criticism on. If it's a photo I'm really proud of though, I would be slightly offended. But I'd probably get over it and then copy their idea if I liked it. And if I hate it, well then I know what I don't like

I liken it to buying a dress for a big party. You have to try on a couple of dresses that you think are going to look awful on you,,, just to see. You might get a nice surprise. And if it looks ugly, well you just forget about it.

But you have to remember that this is the internet and any old person can come into these boards and steal these images if they want. So I always think about which pics I put up. If I don't want them stolen I don't put them up. But stealing pics is different to editing them.

JonMikal said:
after posting a shot, how do you feel about some d/l it and tweaking it to their liking and reposting it without asking first? do you feel that is an acceptable form of critique?
That doesn't even qualify as a critique; that's an unauthorized re-do. ;) I find that totally unacceptable. I agree with Alison about adding the sticky in the general gallery; hopefully all our members take the time to read them. :)

oh btw just thought I'd add that I always ask before editing other's photos. Actually I think I've only done it once anyway.

seems most see it the way i do. i have had a few of mine tweaked by others and although im not overly offended, i feel it's appropriate to ask before hand.

Do I do it? Now and then. But only when I'm trying to explain myself. Once I said that I thought it was a very nice photograph but could be improved if the person was facing into the frame rather than out. Someone picked up on me and I create a very rough edit to help explain myself. At all other times I ask first if I think I want to edit a photograph. But it's rare to do so because how do I know that what is in front of me isn't what the photographer wanted?
I think it can help with critique. Say they draw all over it to point to parts they're talking about. But just re-doing a photograph is disrespectful of the photographer who took it.

I have no problem with people tweaking my images.. to be honest I'm happy to see the results as to me it's a form of critique in that someone is showing me where they think i could have improved my picture..

So anyone that sees this feel free to re jig my images :)

Most reactions

Back