Rant coming....

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by beckylynne, Oct 28, 2015.

1. beckylynne

beckylynne TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    That made me giggle :)

2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know the reason for this rant. If it was something I wrote, I'm either sorry or misunderstood. Either way.

3. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I would say it's to do with this My first wedding... *gulp* | Page 3 | Photography Forum

4. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting Rant.

If anyone peruses Craigslist one can find $99 to $499 wedding photographers.
    they are real .. as mentioned they take horrible photos, generally.

But photographers (here on TPF) are a finicky bunch
    we'll see photos on Facebook, here, etc that have bad posing, bad lighting, raccoon eyes, etc etc etc except friends and the person in the photo are all ecstatic and happy about the photos.

I've always wondered how bad a photo has to be before someone on Facebook says something negative about it. I've yet to see anyone say anything negative about a facebook photo that I think is just plain awful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm still trying to figure out how photography was a business first.

I don't give a rat's arse about the rest.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I was married in June and there was no way i was going to hire a photographer after looking round the net for local photographers, all my friends volunteered to take them, 1 Canon, 2 Leica's and a Fuji Pro1 and i was very happy with what i got and they got a hog roast and free beer. All the family were in the first shots
    Our Wedding - Gary Clarke

7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My late uncle was a professional wedding photographer after he retired from Police Department. All the years I knew him, he always had 2 things on him... A gun and a camera. It wasn't until he passed that I seen the whole body of his passion. I was STUNNED at the quality and artistic style he developed. I knew at that moment I wanted to do less painting and a whole lot more picture taking.

I have no idea why the OP is not liking the forum but I can say two things from experience.

#1 - I admire the wedding photographer.

#2 - I have been a moderator on two highly successful forums (no more) and frequent two others not relating to photography. There are always a handful of rude and obnoxious posters that will bait and annoy the crap out of people. However, most people really are nice and try to be genuinely helpful. Keep in mind that it is easy to misinterpret posts as well, things always can read a couple ways. This is a good forum and I have been learning a lot. It can be fun too if you try and make it...aka coffee house.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Scatterbrained

Scatterbrained Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First, I have no idea where this rant is coming from. After looking at the link you shared to MiniCoops thread, I'm even more confused. Second, photography was an art first, and a vocation second, not the other way around. Technically, it's just a artistic vocation. ;) Third, and this is just a general thing, your @$$hole is actually an aperture, let that one sink in. Yep, if people can't "tell their @$$hole from an aperture", well maybe it's because they know something. :)

As TiredIron pointed out, there are the real, pro wedding shooters; and then there are the "I just got a Rebel for Christmas" facebook shooters. They are not the same. Being critical of someone who wants to monetize other peoples weddings without knowing how to even work their camera is no more egregious than being critical of a mechanic who can't even tell you which way tightens and which way loosens a bolt. There's no point being offended if someone points out another persons shortcomings, especially if those shortcomings could cause both heartache for clients and a bad rep for the industry in general.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    going pro in photography - Google Search

There are about 50,000,000 hits on that search term. Fifty million!!! So, there is a huge push from many directions, encouraging people to become so-called professional photographers.

As far as the link to Minicoop's thread about his first-ever wedding....I think gsgary brought that thread reference up, not the OP. But Minicoop's thread was really more about his own self-effacing attitudes toward the results he got in a rather pedestrian wedding held in a pedestrian venue with a non-traditional bride and groom, and some guy spitting Copenhagen juice into a beer can spittoon...kind of an all-in-good-fun thread...not every wedding is in a Ft. Lauderdale Hilton or held at the Regal Snooty Palace...he took the hand he was dealt.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the explanation. I think I am closer to understanding it more than I have been before. What keeps me from jumping on board are the pro photographers that say what other's do has little or no impact on what they are able to do or what they are able to earn. 'I'm not competing with FB fautographers' type of statements.

If there is blame for the trend, I would aim more towards the folks that accept it as opposed to the ones that create it (sub-par work). Probably just a circle of confusion really meaning the same thing, equal blame.

I enjoy this discussion more than the 'what is art discussion'. That one seems so RANDOM, as my teenager would say. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Photos OK to edit
    Was the client happy with them? There has to be a t-shirt right?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bebulamar

Bebulamar No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I totally agree with the OP. I stay away from the wedding photographers. Never had anything to do with them.