Rant coming....

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by beckylynne, Oct 28, 2015.

1. runnah

runnah Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This is a funny but accurate video, very tongue in cheek. Most folks around here don't get past level 3.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Which are you :bouncingsmileys:

3. runnah

Photos OK to edit
    I am here for the ladies.

• Like Like x 4
  4. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Photos OK to edit
    Everyone that should be ignored ;)

Now what fun would that be; it would take away a large chunk of posts and joy out of our internet lives! ;)

You are in the initiation phase. Soon you will either get sucked into the dark side, or join the Coffee House where folks know how to chill. If you hurry, I hear there is a really nice jazz band playing there now :band::guitar: and the wild ones are over there doing the :wav: and getting their :boogie: on.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit
    Dang, I was kinda saying that first. :madass:

6. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You'll rarely see an established photographer talk about or look down at other photographers. Generally, photographers that belittle other photographers are not happy with where they're at (either personal or business). :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit
    I still have not figured out why I should care. I try, but just can't. If someone is established, or better, or professional in every way, why should they care? How would the
    impact Ansel Adams or anyone in the list we gave here Who are your favorite photographers? | Photography Forum?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally, and this is just my personal opinion, I prefer for people I hire that claim to be "Professional" anything already know their trade very well. I wouldn't hire a carpenter that got his first hammer a couple of months ago or a mechanic who got his first set of wrenches for Christmas. I personally don't like the idea of hiring a so-called "Professional" photographer with only a few months beginner's experience, but that's where the world is at these days.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Again, I'm not referring to those who are doing it 'the right way'; learning their craft, using the right equipment, and establishing a proper business. I care about them only insofar as perhaps I can help them in the same way that those ahead of me helped when I was first learning. The ones who really affect us are, I stress, the "facebook fautographers", who just got a camera, haven't read the manual and haven't bothered to actually establish a busiess, and as mentioned elsewhere, think that "30 minute mini-sessions with 3 billion "edited" images on a disc" is professional photography. Why do I care and how do they affect all of us?

I care because, IMO, these are the people having the greatest impact on the trend towards the acceptance of sub-par work being "good" and they affect us all, because our work, whether fiscally, artistically, or both, is being devalued as a result.

• Like Like x 3
  10. runnah

Photos OK to edit
    Well its because cause you have those with the delusion that getting paid $20 to take photos of uncle bob's fishing boat makes you a "Paid professional photographer".

Professional = skill set, not the fact that you conned some idiot to give you money for crappy photos.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. DoctorDino

DoctorDino TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course good wedding photographers are "real" photographer. It's an art form in its own sense. I started as a landscape guy taking photos of random biz, but now that I've done weddings, it's easy to say they're a whole other world.

Notice I did say "good" though. As @runnah mentioned above, just because you may get paid to do something doesn't make you an "expert" or "professional". Take my parents' wedding way back in the day for instance - they didn't have much money, so they gave a family friend $300 to shoot their wedding. He had a nice camera and looked like he knew what was up, but "something happened" to his film apparently, and they don't have photos of their wedding.

I consider someone a "professional photographer" when they not only get paid to do something, but their work is quality and satisfies the customer.

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Sounds like you might be experiencing a bad morning, beckylynne. I don't agree that there is any kind of general consensus that wedding shooters are not "real photographers"...in fact, my opinion is that MANY people think of wedding photographers when they think of the term "professional photographer". Weddings are one of the few very high-visibility, decently paid gigs left for regular photographers, now that digital cameras and computer darkrooms have cut out the costs of entry and lowered the cost of doing business for events, and since commercial clients have taken many accounts in-house. The easy money days are long,long gone. Small commercial accounts and individual jobs that used to be easy to get in the early 1990's are long since gone.

Wedding photographers run the gamut, from the uber low-rent ones with a body and an 18-55 kit zoom, to high-enders with staff and fantastic,well fantastic everything, and plenty of people who fall somewhere in between those extremes.