Recent "work" how am I doing?

lyonsroar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
#1 (posted this in the HDR area already, but I quite like it so I'll post it again) :sexywink:

Oil by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

IMG_8266-2 by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Frozen by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

#4 (depending on the monitor I'm using this background looks grey-ish, but I just learned today that you should light the background seperately so I'll be trying that!)

IMG_8442 by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Thoughts? Opinions?

One other thing, my mom is trying to get me to be an assistant to a photographer here in town. Sounds like she does a lot of weddings and portrait sessions. It seems like she just needs someone to carry gear around and hold reflectors and such. I don't know this person at all, but she works at the same place as my mom. Should I go for it? I think I should, but maybe someone else thinks otherwise?

As always, thanks for any advice!
;)

Im really liking them. I dont have any critique since im still working on my own nature skills.

like the last one, but the rest don't do anything for me.

2, 3, 4, 1 are the order of my favs. I see what you wanted to do w/ 1, but didn't quite cut it. and I like 4, but wanted more color out of the flower.

Imaginative photos, but I think they can be made better by cropping. Cropping will help the subject stand out more. I do not like a lot of blur unless in a background like #3.

#1 Crop out the blurred oil at the top , but leave the "rainbow"

#2 I really like the tone of the trees but not the black or darkness at the top. There is a bit too much of it.

#3 Crop out the large lower bud that is blurred. Going down the stem from the top bud is a very small bud. Leave an equal distance of stem above and below that small bud. Crop down slightly from the top. The blurred brown patch in the back what might be a bench is very distracting. It will be cropped out if you crop that lower bloom.

#4 The green flower is wonderful. Crop out the container near the point where it starts to round out from the top collar. I find that the somewhat out of focus glass just distracts the eye away from the flower. The subject of your photo is the flower, right? I like the way you have it off-center, so it "flows" out into the middle...nicely done.

I first found it hard to crop photos, because I wanted to show it all, but I have come to depend on cropping to help bring out the main subject, leaving less doubt about what I want the viewer to zoom in on.

For example, I had a nice shot of a breaking wave with an island in the background and foam in the foreground. When I cut out the foam and the island, the wave really began to stand out, and that is what I wanted in the first place. So, think c-r-o-p! Look at the edges of your photos, too. I often have extra stuff there I do not need, and usually did not notice when I took the picture. I am learning now to check the edges before I shoot.

Remember, the cropping is just my opinion, you might not agree! On second glance, I do kind of like the stem in the water (Green flower), but take a look at cropping out from the bottom up.

Last edited:
I love 4 and 3, but would crop some of the empty space off of the top of number 3.

About the photographer's assistant - DO IT!

That is the best way to get into photography. You'll get to experience how a wedding photographer works, she'll be able to give you some advice, and the best bit, you'll get to know a professional photographer! It's all about who you know!

For me, Number 2 is perfect as is. The rest don't do much for me, but that doesn't mean squat. Keep doing what YOU like, not the rest of us.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back