Refurbished Nikon D850

Bob Mevis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
Would any of you buy a refurbished D850 from Amazon, to save $600.00?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Bob

Nikon factory refurbished? Yes.

Refurb by anyone else? No.

Thanks, i forgot to mention that it's listed as certified refurbished, with 90 day warranty.

Sorry,
I should start over, I was too abrupt with my original post. I was trying to post from my tablet while on the fly.
I'm a sixty year old man who has been into photography for about 16 years. Due to frequent ill health I have had to put my D7000 away for long periods of time. Now, I am finally able to pick it up again and become serious about photography once more. I'm embarrassed to say that I just recently became aquainted (through this forum) with that models tendency to have back focus issues, and boy does mine suffer from it. I recently ran tests with the four lenses I have and despite the built in compensation, I can't get any of them close to being tack sharp.
So, I figure it's time for an upgrade. I like Landscapes, Macro, Birds and BIF. I do this strictly for my own enjoyment. I figure if I upgrade to the D850, it will most likely be the last camera I'll ever buy, so why not splurge, and I'm not afraid to upgrade my glass either.
Right now my lenses are: Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 18-105 kit lens, Sigma 60mm Macro and a Tamron 70-300mm. The Tamron is absolutely getting replaced.
Again I apologize for not introducing myself up front, from now on I'll take the time to post from my laptop.
Bob

Thanks, i forgot to mention that it's listed as certified refurbished, with 90 day warranty.
Please post a link to the deal. "Certified" by whom? Shutter count? Any accessories? From what area?

I'll have to admit; I would be tempted by the deal, but I'm not fully convinced. The savings of $600 would help with other gear, so that's a plus for sure.

But "certified" by WHO?
If it is "certified" by a seller, that means nothing to me. What was done/checked to certify it?
It has to be "certified" refurbished by NIKON, for that "certified" to mean anything to me. As then it comes with a refurbished warranty, vs. nothing.

D750 or 850.
If you want resolution, then D850.
BUT, as you are just a few years behind me, I would seriously consider WEIGHT.
As you get older, your body can't handle the weight it could when you were younger. Then add to that any age related injury, such as a bad back. Then you either can't carry the gear, or you are in pain from too much gear weight.
Example, I can hold a 70-200/2.8, but NOT for 4 hours, like I could when I was younger. So, I got the lighter 70-200/4 lens. Even so, after 2 hours, it goes on a monopod for support.​
But, I switched to the even lighter micro 4/3 system for most of my shooting.
The Olympus EM1-mk2 at 20MP has less resolution than the D850 at 45MP, but it almost half the weight; 498 grams vs 915 grams.
This same difference also applies to the lenses.​

You will be upgrading all but the 50/1.8.
- BTW, I did a Google search and the Sigma 60mm came up as a mirrorless lens (m4/3 or Sony), not Nikon F.

For the D850, you better plan for a computer upgrade as well. The file size will double (storage space) and processing the larger file will take more CPU power.

Please post a link to the deal. "Certified" by whom? Shutter count? Any accessories? From what area?

I'll have to admit; I would be tempted by the deal, but I'm not fully convinced. The savings of $600 would help with other gear, so that's a plus for sure.

I misread the ad. It is not Nikon refurbished! I will definitely steer clear. Thanks for drawing my attention to that.

Sent from my LG-M255 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Thanks for drawing my attention to that.
Don't mention it.

Incidentally, the third point; "what area" made reference to the import status. You probably have heard of "grey market", which means it was imported without Nikon's blessing, so any future warranty work would be done by someone other than Nikon. If a camera is imported under the Nikon marketing plan, it will have the serial number registered with Nikon, but any other camera would not be serviced by an authorized Nikon service center.

Personally, I would rather buy a used camera from someone who you can communicate with about why they're selling, how many clicks, what kind of use it has had, etc. Keep on the lookout for a lightly used D850, U.S. import, low shutter count, with at least one battery, a charger, strap, body cap, box, user's manual, and anything else you can get with it.

Or, if you can spring for the price of a new one, then that.

For some reason, there are multiple examples of D850 with low shutter count:

nikon d850 | eBay

Just make sure they're U.S. models, just in case it ever needs work. BTW: I have sent my Nikon in to have it checked over and cleaned. It came back looking new. Cost about $175 as I recall. Pros do that on a regular basis to keep their equipment in top condition.

While you're doing some research, check on optional file sizes. I have to think the D850 can produce smaller file sizes if need be.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
But "certified" by WHO?
If it is "certified" by a seller, that means nothing to me. What was done/checked to certify it?
It has to be "certified" refurbished by NIKON, for that "certified" to mean anything to me. As then it comes with a refurbished warranty, vs. nothing.

D750 or 850.
As you get older, your body can't handle the weight it could when you were younger. Then add to that any age related injury, such as a bad back. Then you either can't carry the gear, or you are in pain from too much gear weight.
Example, I can hold a 70-200/2.8, but NOT for 4 hours, like I could when I was younger. So, I got the lighter 70-200/4 lens. Even so, after 2 hours, it goes on a monopod for support.​
The Olympus EM1-mk2 at 20MP has less resolution than the D850 at 45MP, but it almost half the weight; 498 grams vs 915 grams.

- BTW, I did a Google search and the Sigma 60mm came up as a mirrorless lens (m4/3 or Sony), not Nikon F.

For the D850, you better plan for a computer upgrade as well. The file size will double (storage space) and processing the larger file will take more CPU power.
ac12
It was certified by a seller. I will no longer consider it either, I read the ad too fast.

I agree that weight is a concern for the future but I have a manfrotto tripod and a good monopod is on my list of must-haves. Right now, most of my problem is with walking long distances. I had a stroke awhile back and it affected my ability in that area.

My mistake on sigma, it's a tamron. That's what I get for relying on memory, lol.

Buying a D850 isn't set in stone yet. I'm still studying my options. I just got excited
when I saw the ad.

Bob

Buying a D850 isn't set in stone yet. I'm still studying my options. I just got excited when I saw the ad.
Completely understandable. The D850 is considered by many to be Nikon's top offering right now.

A close runner-up is the D500. Both are epic cameras.

Or you could get a D7100, which is about the best deal on an older camera.

Buying a D850 isn't set in stone yet. I'm still studying my options. I just got excited when I saw the ad.
Completely understandable. The D850 is considered by many to be Nikon's top offering right now.

A close runner-up is the D500. Both are epic cameras.

Or you could get a D7100, which is about the best deal on an older camera.

Thanks Designer & ac12. All good food for thought.

Bob

But "certified" by WHO?

D750 or 850.

ac12

I agree that weight is a concern for the future but I have a manfrotto tripod and a good monopod is on my list of must-haves. Right now, most of my problem is with walking long distances. I had a stroke awhile back and it affected my ability in that area.

When I shoot at the local high school, I use a 2-wheel cart. I gave up on the back pack, too much weight for my injured back and knee. If I can't use the cart, I have to replan what I take, to lower the weight.
- Going to the game is not bad.
- It is going back to the car after 4 or 5 hours on my feet shooting a double game (JV + Varsity) that is tough.

For long distance, if I can't take the cart, I take the lighter m4/3 camera.

BTW, that is the same reason I shoot my 4x5 close to the car. The kit is too heavy to carry more than 100 feet, unless I put it in a cart.

But "certified" by WHO?

D750 or 850.

ac12

When I shoot at the local high school, I use a 2-wheel cart. I gave up on the back pack, too much weight for my injured back and knee. If I can't use the cart, I have to replan what I take, to lower the weight.
- Going to the game is not bad.
- It is going back to the car after 4 or 5 hours on my feet shooting a double game (JV + Varsity) that is tough.

For long distance, if I can't take the cart, I take the lighter m4/3 camera.

BTW, that is the same reason I shoot my 4x5 close to the car. The kit is too heavy to carry more than 100 feet, unless I put it in a cart.
The two wheel cart is a good idea. I'll have to check into that!

This is similar to what I have. But mine has LARGER wheels which is easier to roll on asphalt and less than smooth surfaces. The small wheels do not do well on rough surfaces.

cart.jpg

If you have a large load, like the large format guys have, then this cart would be better. They even have ones with WIDE wheels for going on soft surfaces.
folding cart.jpg

A used D800 or D810 would save a LOT of money over a D850.

Most reactions

Back