Remove spots on my lens

Daniel K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I have a Nikon D7100 and I cleaned my wide angle Sigma lens with solution as well as the camera's mirror, but there are still small grey dots in my shots near the top. Any ideas on how to get rid of those? Thanks.

1. In general dust and dirt on the front of the lens does not show up as spots on the image. It can lower the image contrast and increase flare but will not show up as spots.
2. NEVER EVER clean or touch the mirror with anything other than a blower. The mirror is front surfaced, very delicate and is easily damaged. In any case when the camera is taking a photo the mirror is swung up out of the light path so dust and dirt on the mirror has no effect on the image.
3. 99% of spots on the image are caused by dirt on the sensor rather than dirt on the lens. Get your sensor cleaned or read up about sensor cleaning and do it yourself.

Last edited:
Before any other cleaning method you should try first blower to get rid of dust.
You can try with a soft brush with fine bristles avoiding scratches. Camel hair works great for it.

Never,ever clean the mirror. The dust spots are on the image sensor's front surface. The sensor is what needs to be cleaned. See Alexr25's post above.

In the D7100 User Manual see pages 313- 316.
It's very likely the built-in image sensor cleaning feature will get most of the dust motes off the image sensor, though those pages also discuss manually cleaning the image sensor.

If you don't have the manual - Nikon | Download center | D7100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back