Reputation System

SimplyEuphoric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rm-photography.tripod.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to go and give someone feedback on a good, informational post and realized that on this forum there is no reputation system.

I am an avid member of a Horse Forum, and on there we have a reputation system. That way, when someone posts an informational post, a nice post ect. you can give them a positive feedback. When someone post's something like a picture that they claim is theres but isn't they will get a negative feed back.

Reputation is one way to gauge at a glance how much credibility to give the author of a post.

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to do this, but... here is the website explaining it on the other forum:
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/faq.php?faq=rep_faq_1#faq_rep_faq_2

Anyways, I thought it might be a good idea.

We had that here when we first moved to Vbulletin.

That idea crashed and burned in a big way. I'm sorry to say, it won't be making a reappearance here.

I have seen a rep system work only once on the net and that is on a site where people really do not care about it - its also a small community (very very small compared to TPF) and that helps as you don't get gangs forming up.

Rep systems always sound great and fun till some one (or a group os someones) decide to good rep each other for ages - thus meaning that they end up with godlike rep and can't be redded down even if they deserve it. Past that it does tend to fall apart and more established members tend to spend ages making thread after thread complaining about it ;)

The only thing you could try would be a member comments box - add a comment to a member about a post would be all really

I have seen a rep system work only once on the net and that is on a site where people really do not care about it - its also a small community (very very small compared to TPF) and that helps as you don't get gangs forming up.

Rep systems always sound great and fun till some one (or a group os someones) decide to good rep each other for ages - thus meaning that they end up with godlike rep and can't be redded down even if they deserve it. Past that it does tend to fall apart and more established members tend to spend ages making thread after thread complaining about it ;)

The only thing you could try would be a member comments box - add a comment to a member about a post would be all really

And that's a pretty good summary of what happened here. ;)

And this place has mature members in abundance = that was an example from a site with a huge young to older teen userbase!

just goes to show that adults really are like kids sometimes ;);)

And this place has mature members in abundance = that was an example from a site with a huge young to older teen userbase!

just goes to show that adults really are like kids sometimes ;);)

Very true, but it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone. ;)

Here it became more of a game to see who could get the most green squares.:lol::lol: Im on 6 different forums, some with rep points and some without. On the ones with reps....they are all maxed out anyways, and you dont even know who has the most. I prefer forums without rep points. It tends to make things more equal across the board .

The other forum I go on, NamePros.com, they have a rep system and it works perfectly. I think you can't give rep to the same person within 2 weeks, which prevents the stuff that all of you discussed before. Maybe the mods have a script that has every reputation given and they glance over it every once in a while to make sure they're legit. Probably would be too much though. But yah, the system works just fine there.

Sounds like a popularity contest that has nothing to do with exchanging expertise or learning related to phtography.

skieur

Sounds like a popularity contest that has nothing to do with exchanging expertise or learning related to phtography.

skieur

I don't see how it sounds like a popularity contest. Members get reputation for helping other members by making helpful posts. Nothing about that sounds like a popularity contest.

I don't see how it sounds like a popularity contest. Members get reputation for helping other members by making helpful posts. Nothing about that sounds like a popularity contest.
Well, I can appreciate that point of view. Unless you were around TPF during that time frame, it's difficult to explain how something seemingly so innocent could just go awry.

What began as something that was used sparingly by members at first, and only in response to helpful posts, simply snowballed. People - usually a group of friends - were giving each other rep points for no reason other than to see a lot of pretty bars by their names. There were even posts about getting some rep points - shout outs in the OT forum "anyone want to throw some rep points my way? I will reciprocate!"

As Chiller said, it turned into another sort of OT game, which certainly didn't help any newcomers find answers of any value. Corry is correct when she says not to expect to see that function turned back on here. ;)

To the OP: if you want to give someone feedback on a good, informative post, either shoot that member a PM or thank them publicly within the thread. It's always nice to read these kinds of exchanges with our members! :)

We had that here when we first moved to Vbulletin.

That idea crashed and burned in a big way.

I seem to remember that the Admins abused the system in a big way for comic effect. ;)
Any system that 'rates' people very quickly proves to have no use but becomes a vehicle for envy or politics.
Personally, I think we should dispense with the post count too.
We should all appear equal and just let our words judge us. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back