Ring-tailed lemurs

The location of the Bronx Zoo is also kind of tricky, so they might be afraid of animals escaping as well. It's not a large zoo and it is smack dab in the middle of urban chaos. It's another reason I have only gone there a couple of times. I was there on a class trip as a kid, as I mentioned, and a few years back, I worked for a summer ESL program that brought students there for a trip.

Maybe I'll plan my next vacation specifically to go to a place that has a zoo with open enclosures for lemurs! (What a funny oxymoron that is: an open enclosure.)

The location of the Bronx Zoo is also kind of tricky, so they might be afraid of animals escaping as well. It's not a large zoo and it is smack dab in the middle of urban chaos. It's another reason I have only gone there a couple of times. I was there on a class trip as a kid, as I mentioned, and a few years back, I worked for a summer ESL program that brought students there for a trip.

Maybe I'll plan my next vacation specifically to go to a place that has a zoo with open enclosures for lemurs! (What a funny oxymoron that is: an open enclosure.)
Them escaping isn't even that much of an issue as long as their area is big enough. The area at the zoo where I took these photos is completely open. No door, no fence. It's their territory so they stay there.
Just to make sure (and to please their insurance company) they do have two small bridges leading to the enclosure that are hooked up to a live wire but those aren't really much of an obstacle for them. I've never even seen them close to to them.
The red ruffed lemurs at the other zoo I like to visit are curious about what's going on outside their area though. And recently their offspring from two years ago did get away, climbed up a tree and broke his leg when he fell. As far as I know that kind of lemur doesn't stay as much inside their own territory as the ring-tailed lemurs.

These are cute! thanks for sharing.

@limr: I went to the Bronx zoo few years ago and really liked it. It was probably my best view of the red panda (ours kept escaping so he's been temporarily exiled to Front Royal, VA)

Thanks, but that's all them. I'm just taking the photos :D

Here's a closeup:

ma1_28991kr3s.jpg

And on a tree:

ma1_3200oop30.jpg

Here's a new one from yesterday:

Ring-Tailed Lemur by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

I didn't even expect them to come out, the day started really badly with a ton of rain.

And this is their flabby grandma:

When she jumps from tree to tree her floppy belly flaps up and down, like beautiful fat wings ^.^

What a great thread. I don't understand how I haven't seen it before now. Fun!

What a great thread. I don't understand how I haven't seen it before now. Fun!
Hey thanks! That means a lot to me :D

Also, if you think this thread is fun you should see how much fun it is to actually hang out with these little guys! When I was there on Sunday one of their offspring from last year came up to me from behind and started to play with my hand^^ They are absolutely adorable!

Got some fresh ones:

The first one in this post is the only adult male of their group. And since female ring-tailed lemurs are in charge of the group his life is pretty tough XD
When I was there last week he was getting a little frisky. He was purring like a madman (yes, they purr, and it's adorable) and poking one of the females with his tail. But they were busy checking out my backpack, so she got mad at him and slapped him :p He let out the most sad shriek I have ever heard, poor little bastard...
And on Sunday he was slapped again by one of them just for getting so close. He went to a little girl, sat down next to her and wanted to be pet for comfort, it was the cutest thing ever! :D

lemurs are cute

lemurs are cute
No. They are vicious little monsters that bite you to the bone when given half the chance! At least that's what the zoo keepers are saying... Which isn't true at all.
Last Sunday I had them on my lap again and one even licked my nose^^ They are the cutest little guys ever and some of the most friendly critters I have ever met. It's mainly their curiosity but I'd say they are also showing at least a little bit of affection once they get to know you a little.

Most reactions

Back