Ring-tailed lemurs

Mattis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So if you saw my avatar you have probably guessed that I am a fan of lemurs :p
I just love these little guys. They are cute, incredibly curious and I have yet to find a way to describe how soft they are...

Here are two shots of their offspring that I took last Sunday:
Ring Tailed Lemur by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

Ring Tailed Lemur by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

As you can see in the first one, it's completely open and the little guy was just haging out with us. Their two kids are about one and a half years old now.

Great shots!

Look at those eyes!

Look at those eyes!
I know right? I always try to bring out their eyes as much as possible because they really are amazing. They are mostly grey and white, it makes their eyes stand out so extremely well^^

Great faces!
I love their faces. They have really strinking expressions in my opinion.

Here's the shot from my avatar of one of their older ones:
Ring-Tailed Lemur by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

And their grandma:
Granny Lemur (Ring-Tailed Lemur) by Mathias Appel, on Flickr

Caught their expressions pretty well. [emoji3]

So cute. I like that last one!

So cute. I like that last one!
Thanks!
Yeah, they really are adorable little buggers. And since you can get so close to them that makes for some very interesting photo opportunities!
You just have to be prepared for them to make your bag dirty :p When I was there on Sunday I wanted to change lenses which they saw as an opportunity to inspect my backpack. It had paw prints all over it^^
Like this:
This is actually the one from the first post, she was about half a year old then.

And they love handcarts as well:

Not a ring-tailed lemur, but this black-and-white ruffed lemur decided to claim my backpack:
Black-and-White Ruffed Lemur by Mathias Appel, on Flickr
She sat on it for about half an hour^^

I'm camping out in this thread for a while because the pictures are just too damn cute. I have yet to see a lemur in real life, but ever since I realized that people pronounce my user name "lemur," I have felt an obligation to go find some :)

I'm camping out in this thread for a while because the pictures are just too damn cute. I have yet to see a lemur in real life, but ever since I realized that people pronounce my user name "lemur," I have felt an obligation to go find some :)
Thanks a lot!
Where do you live? Zoos with open (or at least partially open) lemur enclosures seem to be relatively common. I highly recommend that you try to fine a location like that, it really makes for some very unique shots^^ Not to mention that the little buggers are a lot of fun to hang out with.

Closest zoo to me is the Bronx Zoo. I know they have lemurs, though I'm not sure if they are open or not. It'll have to wait, though, because I won't go there until fall at the least. Too many people and class trips there this time of year. I know - at one point I was one of the kids on a school trip there! ;)

Closest zoo to me is the Bronx Zoo. I know they have lemurs, though I'm not sure if they are open or not. It'll have to wait, though, because I won't go there until fall at the least. Too many people and class trips there this time of year. I know - at one point I was one of the kids on a school trip there! ;)
From what I can tell they all seem to be behind a fence. They don't seem to like that:

If it was an open enclosure there would be videos on Youtube about lemurs jumping on people at that zoo :p
My guess is they aren't risking it because people might harm the animals.

Most reactions

Back