Rivals

Artemis

Just Punked Himself
Reaction score
Website
www.falcon-eye.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Oki...so authors, have critiques...science has religion....what do we have?

What I mean is...who do Photographers fight an un-winable battle with...a secret war with mere words, no weapons...and is so obscured that even we dont know who it is?

Hehe ill stop trying to be poetic...who stinges a photographers growth? who are our rivals....is it the local security guard? or the polition in office?
Just curious really...

I believe the answer to your question is: Other forms of art.

Religion is to science as hand painting is to photography.

I'm sure that when people started trying to "pass off" photography as art, they were met with objection from people who spend much more time creating an image, whereas the photographer spends about as much time as it takes to click the shutter. Then, as photographers, such as Ansel Adams, explored the possibilities of camera play, it did become its own art form. With a darkroom, you can create just as compelling an image as an artist with a brush. And now, with the advent of the computer, more people are taking on this artform and learning ways of expressing themselves to the world.

Communication is the relay of ideas to one another using whatever medium we can muster, whether its with words, paint, film, or 1s and 0s.

A couple of answers.

1. dpreview.com :p (seriously, have you read the threads there? "no, I don't think it's a prosumer model, it doesn't have sports mode" "DUH! consumer models have sports mode, professional models don't, prosumer models might have sports mode but also have Aperture priority" "canon has SAID it was released as an entry level prosumer model" "The powershot G6 is a good camera for prosumers?" "I really like the drebel but the lack of EVF is seriously an oversight and why no video?" )

2. Slick marketing. (You cannot take good photoraphs until you have an "L" designation behind your lens, so forget about taking pictures and spend all your time obsessing over equipment reviews until you can afford an "L" lens, and then make sure you spend a lot of time whining about the lack of new "L" lens releases this year at PMA).

Yeah I've been hanging out in other forums :)

Artemis said:
...who do Photographers fight an un-winable battle with..
Interesting thought from someone young. I've found that the toughest battle can be with myself... worrying too much about all the wrong things.

At your age, I was concerned with what sort of camera anyone else had... how many lenses, even what brand of camera. That turned into wanting to be better than the next guy. Eventually I came around to worrying about what I do. That's were you'll find a worth-while battle.

If you make photographs for the sake of art, you might find the "enemy" can be the ingnorant public who think, "I have a camera, I can take pictures."

If you make photographs for a living, you opponent may be anyone who else who sells something to your customers. It's better they spend their money on you than somewhere else.

In any case, it sounds to me like you're ahead in the game... just in asking this question.

-Pete Christie

Ill agree with that- im my worst enemy, i do photography because i love to be able to look at photos later on that i really like and think that its mine, also i love being out taking the photos and finding interesting subject, just out for that perfect photo i guess.
MNost of the time my photos arent good enough for me even though someone else might say wow thats great! but the few gems i do get i print at A4 and put on my wall, its not finished yet but im oging to have a full wall soon that will be really good to look at!

By the time your wall is approaching full you will have improved so much that you'll need to start all over again! I had that problem!

My biggest enemy is "the man". I have to work from 8:00 - 5:00 M-F, which leaves just 2 days of good sunlight, in the winter, for shooting. Talk about a serious enemy.

What I'm trying to say is that time is the enemy. I don't have time to shoot as much as I want and I'm always battling other commitments.

Check out this link

http://www.editorialphotographers.com/

Look for the "EP Releases the Digital Manifesto" and the "War against photographers event transcript - pdf"

I visited this site a few days ago, and when i saw your post it reminded me of it. I've only quickly scanned these articles myself. I'd seen the "digital manifesto" before, but the "War on Photographers" was new to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back