river stuff

Yoohoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am VERY new to this. I have helped do one wedding and other than that I throw out more than I keep at this point. Here are a couple I took yesterday when I went back down to the river where I spent most of my childhood. I have a canon 7d and these pics were with my 50mm 1.8. They are not edited in anyway. So editing tips are appreciated as well.

_MG_0201_zps6d2080f6.jpg

_MG_0213_zpsf2a83101.jpg

_MG_0207_zps64624739.jpg

_MG_0205_zpsa454f7aa.jpg

Nice start. Here's where the C&C starts. Keep working on subject matter, composition, and focus. And keep takng pictues and submitting them. It only gets better

Yeah, exactly what that old hippy said. There's nothing particularly interesting in these shots, but it's the first brick of a house. Find an interesting subject, large or small, then build around that. Good start :thumbup:

My eyes are going all over the place. There is no real central focal point. First, I would start with your message. What are you trying to convey here? Then, set up your shot in your head from there. Once you get a better vision, your end results will be more cohesive.

Avoid shooting mid day without good reason and a little lighting help. The light is uninteresting and harsh. Rules are meant to be broken but this one is tough to beat; mid day light needs help, or at least stronger subjects than just a view of the woods or some rocks and water. Not much is happening in any of the pictures, with 3 the least. Also, learn metering and exposure. The highlights are blown out in two of the images. Again blown highlights can work if you're going for a particular look, but mostly you want to keep detail there. When shooting waterfalls and rivers, wait for clouds to cover the scene. In bright sun the water highlights are always blown out and the contrast is too harsh.

There is something really odd about image #1.
I can see an inverted apartment block in the blown highlight of the foreground, very strange. Must be a trick of the light ?

I agree with the posts above, these really need a focal point to stop the eyes wandering around.

Thanks guys. This is the stuff that I need to hear. So basically the pics are too busy and dont have a subject.

Last edited:
My Tip of the Day: Before you put the viewfinder to your eye, decide WHAT the subject is then focus on your subject.

Focus is sharp in places but pretty much too narrow and too little...metering - hmmmmm, what did you use? What camera, what PP program? Inquiring minds want to know.

I agree with everything posted. I think that #2 would have been a good shot if you focused on something. I'm still learning myself, so I understand where you are coming from. :)

7d 50mm 1.8

1/4000
1.8....thus the focus being to small
iso 125

raw+L
M metering

The 7d has the focus points that choose themselves. I always forget to turn it to center focus.

Not sure if it's the portrait orientation, the level of zoom, or both, but my initial response was that all of those pictures are too crowded. Rather than a gynecological view of water hitting a rock, I'd rather a definite focal point captured in a wider view that lets the frame contents breathe a bit.

Most reactions

Back