Rookie Mistake

I hate that! I especially hated when I'd take pics with my Nikon p&s and it never even told me that I didn't have a memory card in. At least my dslr will tell me to insert a card.

My common one with night photography is leaving the cable release behind so i can't use shutter speeds of more than 30 seconds. Killer!

You think that's bad? That's not even close. I got up early in the morning last spring, took a shower, gathered equipment together, got in the car, stopped at a Burger King for a couple of their breakfast bowls. I get out to the location, eat, bump a oney or two and wait for the sun to come up when I notice I forgot to bring the equipment along. So I hurredly head back to my house about 15 miles away. I get the equipment loaded finally and head back to the spot. The sun was on the verge of appearing so I raced to a good vantage point, set up the camera and tripod and prepare to shoot. The drive back the second time my belly was feeling a little funny. I go to capture the first photo when it (poo) comes out in my pants all of a sudden in a grumbling lurch. It was so forceful it pushed me forward knocking my camera on the ground with a thud. I grabbed my equipment up and went to the car. When I get to the car, and put the camera in the front seat, I noticed I had forgot my memory card AND my battery was dead AND my pants are full of poo. Now THAT'S a rookie mistake!

^^^Wow, that's not the way to start your day!^^^

thats the worst feeling ever. I built a DIY welding glass filter and went ou to the beach to do long exposure only to fing out the battery on my shutter realease remote was dead. So I feel your pain.

i had my first paying gig yesterday!!

my ex-brother in law / business partner called me up in the afternoon.

hey dude, since you got that big fancy camera now, why don't you run over here and shoot some pictures of this rental house for me so i can list the house on craigslist. i'll pay ya 50 bucks.

so, i drop what i'm doing, grab the camera, drive 40 minutes to his rental, get out, take the first shot... battery died.

of course, in my haste, i didn't bother grabbing any of the three batteries that were sitting on the table. or the charger.

so much for my first paid gig :lol:

Leave a USB-camera cord in your computer and just hook up the camera to transfer images. I haven't removed the card from my current camera since I bought it over a year ago. I delete the images from the card after they have been saved on at least two drives, usually a few days.

Same here. I never take the card out of my camera. I download from camera to computer via cable.
Cards seem fragile and easily lost to me.
Any downside to this technique that you can think of?

I do the same with the card. I pop the battery out of the Nikon and into the charger, put the other battery into the Nikon so I have a fresh battery to go. I leave the charger on a small table next to the window in my man cave, so that every time I enter the room I see it. As soon as I see a steady red light, I remove the battery and put it in my camera bag. Once you get use to a routine, it's easy to follow.

I've done that, also left the battery in the charger at home too.

I just drove 30 miles to the closest state park with plans to attempt some night landscape and some star trails. I got there, walked around for 15 minutes, found the perfect spot by the lake, got all my equipment out, set it all up, positioned myself, turned on the camera, looked at the top to check my settings and realized that I forgot my memory card in my computer. WORST FEELING EVER!!!

Lesson learned: Always triple check to make sure you have EVERYTHING!

In hindsight, at least I wasn't on my way to meet a paying client...

I did the SAME thing a few months ago for my son's football banquet! Errrr.....only photos I got were with my phone! so yep.....we've all done it.....

This is why I always leave a 512mb Card in my jacket pocket. Sure I only get 20-30 jpegs with it but at least I can capture the shot rather then sitting there feeling stupid. BUT I have managed to forget to charge my batteries and in the middle of shooting I get the low battery warning That sucks.

I split my cards into smaller increments so that if any of them get corrupted, I lose less images. Most of mine are 4GB each, and I keep them in a hard-shell pelican case, which always remains in my bag. If I forget the one I last downloaded, I still have plenty of spares.

I've done this many times but thank lord I have about 4-5 spare cards in my camera bag.

Haven't done it with the memory card. I always DL straight from the camera. But....

I woke up at 3:30 one morning, through all my BOWHUNTING gear in the car, drove 1.5 hours to the hunting grounds, grab my gear.... and realize... My arrows are back at the house. No arrows = not happy bowhunter...

UFLGator

Most reactions

New Topics

Back