Rookie Mistake

I know this sounds simple, but it has served me well for more than 30 years:

When ever I leave to go on a shoot, I chant a mantra in my head...

Camera and cable,
Vignettes and shade,
Meter and gray card,
film and tripod.

Now this is QUITE old, (and it was derived specifically for myself when I shot portraits with a Mamiya RB) so you'll have to come up with your own. But it works. I find I still do it every time I pack my camera case. Of course when I say "film" I'm thinking "virtual film"... CF cards.

I have a different mantra for packing my lighting.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Leave a USB-camera cord in your computer and just hook up the camera to transfer images. I haven't removed the card from my current camera since I bought it over a year ago. I delete the images from the card after they have been saved on at least two drives, usually a few days.

Same here. I never take the card out of my camera. I download from camera to computer via cable.
Cards seem fragile and easily lost to me.
Any downside to this technique that you can think of?

I was out on a walk-about with a friend and realized I had room for a dozen or so exposures on my card. We ended up getting back in the car for a Best Buy run and list an hour of shooting.

I keep a check list before I venture out these days.

Leave a USB-camera cord in your computer and just hook up the camera to transfer images. I haven't removed the card from my current camera since I bought it over a year ago. I delete the images from the card after they have been saved on at least two drives, usually a few days.

Same here. I never take the card out of my camera. I download from camera to computer via cable.

You can't do it if the camera battery is almost run down, but I don't usually let it get that low.

Camera easily pulled off of computer desk by kids/pets.

I'm bad about emptying my cards....lol I've sat in my car deleting pictures one at a time to get a couple more shots.
<sigh>

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by brfarris1
Camera easily pulled off of computer desk by kids/pets.

I don't have kids. :greenpbl:

I keep the battery and card in the camera. Leaving card at home may not happen to me, but running out of battery... YES.

I figured the battery would be dead as well. Thanks for sharing, going to keep a triple check list at all times.

480sparky said:
Since the Johnson administraion. Digital.... Since 2003.

I used to shoot pro back in the late '70s and into the 80s.... had my own studio, did weddings, portraiture, the whole nine yards. Then just got sick of it, sold all my medium format & studio gear (kept the 35mm stuff for personal use) and reinvented myself. After 5-6 years, even my 35mm Pentax gear was boxed up and in the basement from sheer lack of interest.

Bought a Sony digital P&S in '03 so I could document job sites, progress, etc. Caught the bug again in '08, sold my 35mm gear on ebay and stepped up to DSLRs. But still gonna stay an electrician 'cause I don't want to put up with screamin' babies, whiney seniors and bitchy brides any more.

Truth be told, I found two rolls of Kodachrome 25 in my freezer a couple years ago..... expiration date of 1986. If I had known K25 was going to be dropped by Kodak, I would have used it 'for old time's sake' instead of pitching it.

Crazy to think that those experiences pushed you away from it. Although I understand that you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've always been interested in photography but hadn't really gotten into it seriously till last november. I own and operate a plumbing business and wanted a camera that I could do both take pictures for job site progress etc and delve into photography as a hobby and potentially turn into a business much further down the line.

Would that film that you threw away still be good today if you kept it in the freezer?

Would that film that you threw away still be good today if you kept it in the freezer?

It had been frozen since I originally purchased it. It would be be useable, although how accurate the colors, exposure, etc. would be could not be calculated. It would be a crapshoot.

480sparky said:
It had been frozen since I originally purchased it. It would be be useable, although how accurate the colors, exposure, etc. would be could not be calculated. It would be a crapshoot.

It would have been interesting to see how they would turn out

Most reactions

Back