What's new

Rubber Coming Out of Place on D200

BrianLy

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
298
Reaction score
0
Location
Los Angeles
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSCN1713-1.jpg


Does anyone know anyway I can fix that? The rubber is coming out of place. there is a little of it happening on the left side too.
 
Is it jamming the wheel? If not then live with it.

It's normal wear for a camera grip that gets used. You'll probably find if you look closely that all your rubber grips are slowly stretching and are becoming larger than the holes they fit into. Mine started doing this a few years back. So far it hasn't been detrimental to the use of the camera.
 
A judicious application of contact cement using a toothpick, if you want to DIY.

Otherwise, I would have a repair shop handle it.
 
The wheel works just fine. I like to have things perfect, that is just me. I just want to know if there is anyway I can fix it.
 
A judicious application of contact cement using a toothpick, if you want to DIY.

Otherwise, I would have a repair shop handle it.

That may work for a short while, but you could end up just pushing the problem around, as the rubber has expanded/stretched and no longer fits tightly. Cutting a small amount away with a razor blade so it fits more tightly might help.

Replacement grips can be bought on ebay for around $45.
 
Sadly, this rubber problem is big for Nikon, both on lenses and on bodies. Good to see that you probably use your gear a lot though :P. I would say cut the extra rubber with a razor as well if you want to fix it yourself, then glue the rest back. Be careful not to mess the button up though :/. Aside from that, you can always take it in to a local Nikon place and have them fix it, or get an extra grip from ebay as mentioned. Sorry :(
 
Actually I just bought this D200 used not long ago and it can like this. And David you sure have a lot of camera and Flashes.
 
Hi BrainLy

I've had the same problem with my D200. I guess that's the only thing that Nikon doesn't want to change.

I ordered my replacements from e-bay. It is not that expensive. try procamerarepair on e-bay.

I hope these rubber problems disappears in the coming models. especially the mid to pro ranges.

:)

Hope this helps.
 
Hi BrainLy

I've had the same problem with my D200. I guess that's the only thing that Nikon doesn't want to change.

I ordered my replacements from e-bay. It is not that expensive. try procamerarepair on e-bay.

I hope these rubber problems disappears in the coming models. especially the mid to pro ranges.

:)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link, I think I am going to live with it until it gets really bad, that I will have to replace it.
 
Take the grip off, remove whatever adhesive is there, apply contact cement (I use 3M Scotch-Weld 847), reapply grip.

It's actually a really easy fix.

All you need is some cleaning supplies and a can of glue. I would mask off the surrounding area though, just so you don't get glue all over your camera.
 
Take the grip off, remove whatever adhesive is there, apply contact cement (I use 3M Scotch-Weld 847), reapply grip.

It's actually a really easy fix.

All you need is some cleaning supplies and a can of glue. I would mask off the surrounding area though, just so you don't get glue all over your camera.

Like mentioned before, if you do this, a few strategically placed slices from a razor blade to remove a millimeter or two of rubber will help make the old stretched out grip fit more tightly.
 
I really don't trust myself cutting and gluing things to the camera, since I found out that I am not the only one with this problem, I think I'm going to leave it as it is until it gets even worst.
 
I really don't trust myself cutting and gluing things to the camera, since I found out that I am not the only one with this problem, I think I'm going to leave it as it is until it gets even worst.

Smart move. ;)
 
Actually I just bought this D200 used not long ago and it can like this. And David you sure have a lot of camera and Flashes.

Hehe, yeah what can I say, I'm a hoarder.. :P Commercial studios come with some privileges, but when it comes down to business, it's only one body that takes that $$ shot.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom