SB-900 Setting

CNCO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to do some portraits of a team in a locker room. I have a sb-900 on a d80 thats it! I am wondering if auto WB, iso 400, portrait mode and the sb-900 on ttyl is the best setting to get decent shots. ill shoot these raw so i can make adjustments later if needed but i am looking for some help with settings.

You'll probably want to gel the flash to color match the lights in the locker room.

And the best way to do that is?

I'm assuming the flash came with a set of gels (my SB800s did) so you'd affix the appropriate one for the type of lighting in the room. The manual and accompaning brochure will explain which gel to use with which type of light, whether it's
fluorescent, tungsten, etc.

If I only kept those. I should probably buy some more. No I do not have those, what's wrong with tty mode? I'm going to down load a manual n go from there.

Portrait mode? You serious about that one? :)

Based on your signature and gear you have:
Camera - ISO 400, A-priority at f/6.3 (unless you tweaked it - then go to f/5.6)
Flash - TTL bounces 45-60degrees
Adjust either EV value on the camera (I find that faster) or on the flash.
Get a gray card - its cheap and preset your WB. Otherwise see how daylight looks (since your primary light source is preset to give you that color) IF you do find color gels for it, USE them but change your WB on camera to fluorescent. If I remember correctly, the older generation (d80 included in the bunch) sucked at AWB.
Good Luck

they actually came out best in portrait mode. its quick n easy. im more concerned with the flash. i figured out a few settings so im happy and my client is happy. i would post them but im not allowed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back