SB700 Vs SV910 on a D7100

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For the money the SB-700 costs, you come close to a 2 studio monolight, 2 light stands, 2 umbrella holders, and 2 umbrellas kit:
Flashpoint 320M Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit, with Two 320 Monolights,9.5' Stands,Umbrellas, Snoot and Carrying Case

All those dedicated Nikon bells and whistles come at a really hefty premium price compared to other lighting solutions.

True! But the build quality of the Nikon's FAR exceed that of the cheap chinese made stuff. The Nikons will work, period. Not always the case with the other...

What shot would you miss with an SB700 that you would get with the 910?

I am not even going to bother answering that...

It's a pretty good question, since a flashes output is doubled from ISO 100 to 200, what's to say that "cheaping out" causes you to miss the shot?
And if power is a concern, but TTL isn't, there are dozens of high quality manual flashes with the same output as the 910 for under $100.

Not bothering to answer that, doesn't really help the OP make a decision... does it? I wish people didn't take it so personal when challenged.
It would make the threads on this forum a lot more fruitful.

I see (based on the posts following ) that the answer was answered! In my opinion, anytime you can gain a stop of two of light (whether it is a lens, flash, or sensor)... it is worth the expense.

I chose the 910 over the 700... Really can't complain about my purchase one bit. I am picking up a 700 as a second flash though. I'll be able to give you a better opinion when it arrives.

I chose the 910 over the 700... Really can't complain about my purchase one bit. I am picking up a 700 as a second flash though. I'll be able to give you a better opinion when it arrives.

Good call.. that will give you a Key and a Fill, lol!

SB700 because it's cheaper.

Its cheaper, smaller and lighter if that is a consideration. If not, it's a no brainer to go with the more powerful SB-910

For you. Not for me.

The no brainer out of this group is the SB-700 for me. For more power, I paid $45 for
a YN560... but that wasn't an option. The SB-700 is all the power I need and @ ISO 200, it's double that.

Last edited:
I had the SB910 on a D7000. It makes the system very top heavy and it positively dwarfs the camera. It is for that reason that I bought the SB700 instead. I can't say I've even really noticed the loss in power.

I had the SB910 on a D7000. It makes the system very top heavy and it positively dwarfs the camera. It is for that reason that I bought the SB700 instead. I can't say I've even really noticed the loss in power.

Exactly my reasoning, I tried the 910 on my 7100 oh boy was it top heavy and felt like it'd break the shoe. So I bought the 700, never looked back.
I've never needed the extra power and found the 700 menu easier to live with.

Exactly my reasoning, I tried the 910 on my 7100 oh boy was it top heavy and felt like it'd break the shoe. So I bought the 700, never looked back.

You won't miss it until you need it... and then you can always just raise the ISO, or open the aperture a little right? Hopefully that won't keep you from getting the shot you wanted. A couple of extra stops of light is always nice to have if you need it. (and I never had a problem with a 900 in the shotshoe on my D7000, or my d800... if that is what it takes to get the shot! lol!)

You won't miss it until you need it... and then you can always just raise the ISO, or open the aperture a little right? Hopefully that won't keep you from getting the shot you wanted. A couple of extra stops of light is always nice to have if you need it. (and I never had a problem with a 900 in the shotshoe on my D7000, or my d800... if that is what it takes to get the shot! lol!)

Why do you keep insisting that you will miss the shot with the sb700? And we're not talking about the 900, were talking about the 910.
The SB910 has a GN of 111 and the SB700 has a GN of 92. That is not even a stop difference. In fact, with the subject 20ft away, @ ISO 100
You would have a max power difference of f/4.6 vs f/5.6. That is less than 2/3 of a stop.

Most reactions

Back