SB700 Vs SV910 on a D7100

Exactly my reasoning, I tried the 910 on my 7100 oh boy was it top heavy and felt like it'd break the shoe. So I bought the 700, never looked back.
I've never needed the extra power and found the 700 menu easier to live with.

You won't miss it until you need it... and then you can always just raise the ISO, or open the aperture a little right? Hopefully that won't keep you from getting the shot you wanted. A couple of extra stops of light is always nice to have if you need it. (and I never had a problem with a 900 in the shotshoe on my D7000, or my d800... if that is what it takes to get the shot! lol!)

Why do you keep insisting that you will miss the shot with the sb700? And we're not talking about the 900, were talking about the 910.
The SB910 has a GN of 111 and the SB700 has a GN of 92. That is not even a stop difference. In fact, with the subject 20ft away, @ ISO 100
You would have a max power difference of f/4.6 vs f/5.6. That is less than 2/3 of a stop.

Cause I can! ;)

I would get the latest tech on the market. It will last longer as I don't see Nikon replacing the Sb-910 anytime soon.

I would get the latest tech on the market. It will last longer as I don't see Nikon replacing the Sb-910 anytime soon.

Yea.. that too!

Just try the 910 on your body before you buy it. IMO it is not a good combo with a DX body as it makes shooting quite uncomfortable. I'd be extremely surprised if you missed the extra stop of light by going for the 700 instead.

Just try the 910 on your body before you by it. IMO it is not a good combo with a DX body as it makes shooting quite uncomfortable. I'd be extremely surprised if you missed the extra stop of light by going for the 700 instead.

The 900 and the 910 are almost exactly the same size, and I use my 900's on my D7000 with a MODIFIER (softbox).. a lot, and see no issues! Maybe I have strong wrists? Or maybe the grip helps, and you don't have one? I hope you never need to use a long Telephoto on that DX.. you will hate it!
$Untitled-1.jpg
Nikon SB-900 vs. SB-910 Speedlight comparison | Nikon Rumors

Just try the 910 on your body before you by it. IMO it is not a good combo with a DX body as it makes shooting quite uncomfortable. I'd be extremely surprised if you missed the extra stop of light by going for the 700 instead.

The 900 and the 910 are almost exactly the same size, and I use my 900's on my D7000 with a MODIFIER (softbox).. a lot, and see no issues! Maybe I have strong wrists? Or maybe the grip helps, and you don't have one? I hope you never need to use a long Telephoto on that DX.. you will hate it!
View attachment 41463

Good for you.

I'm merely raising a possible issue (an issuse that I experienced and it appears other have too) so that the op may take that into account and make his own informed decision. All you have done is tell the op to buy one specific piece of gear because it happens to work for you.

I don't have a DX body anymore. Just the D800 now and I use long teles all the time.

View attachment 41463

Good for you.

I'm merely raising a possible issue (an issuse that I experienced and it appears other have too) so that the op may take that into account and make his own informed decision. All you have done is tell the op to buy one specific piece of gear because it happens to work for you.

I don't have a DX body anymore. Just the D800 now and I use long teles all the time.

Really? You might want to upgrade your profile as well as your sig then

Spesh: My Cameras:
Nikon D5000
18-55 kit lens
55-200 Nikon lens
Samyand 8mm fisheye

My camera and lenses should be listed in my sig

I've updated the whole lot. Obviously haven't been on my profile page for some time. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I've updated the whole lot. Obviously haven't been on my profile page for some time.

Good.. that was my intent... updating is nice!

I bought the sb-700 for my d7000 and am very pleased with it so far. However, it does weigh down the camera quite a bit, I can't imagine how heavy the sb-910 would feel. Try before you buy is what I'd suggest.

I have a d7000 and I have a SB700 and have access to a SB910. The SB700 is a nice size and weight with the d7000. The SB910 is a bit bigger and heavier and tends to make the camera out of balance. Powerwise the 910 has a bit more reach but, with what I do, the SB700 is powerful enough. The SB910 can be used as a 3 channel commander, where as the sB700 will only command 2 channels. I find myself using the SB700 most of the time as it is all I need. So I would have to say, go with the SB700 and use the extra money for something else.

Salute to anyone who considers the SB-700 a cheap-o flash. And here I thought it was all those Chinese off-brands that were the cheap-o flashes...

Personally, I love my SB-700. If I have to reach out more than 120mm, I will move in.. :) If I outgrow it, I will buy a 910 and then I will have even more options with pocket wizards...

Just thought I'd chime in here. I have the D7000 and have been using a Vivitar 285HV I have recently upgraded to the SB-910. Everyone went on about how large and heavy the SB-910 was but it is virtually the same size and weight as the Vivitar so the transition has been seamless (except for all the bells and whistles) I have been using it with a modifier and the huge and heavy Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 VRII for hours on end, both with and without a grip. I'm 5'9 and by no means a weight lifter. It could be too much for some to handle but not many. That being said, the smaller, cheaper 700 might be the way to go and most folks have more than one flash for more complex lighting setups so you could always get the 910 later and then use the 700 as an augment.

There is no way to know if the weight will be an issue for you. I suppose you could get a weight and put it on top of your camera and see how it feels. The financial issues are the same. It depends on what $200 means to you. For me the extra $200 was worth getting the best flash I could and I don't regret the decision.

Edit-

Wanted to clarify that by best, I mean best for me. I will more than likely get into more complex setups. If you don't intend to go that rout then the 700 may be enough for you.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back