school me on marco/mirco lenes plz

Devananda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
so I have had my camera 4 a few months now and found out that I have a liking for macro shoots . however I really don't know much about true macro lenses. can you school me on this subject ....
advice what are some of the better glass to get.
I am shooting the nikon D80 and my two lenses are 18-70 and 80-200F2.8
I can get some pretty good pics w/ the 80-200 however would like to know if there is a differance with a true macro.mirco glass
thanks

Well here is the first tip for you when lens shopping for true macro. A lot of copmanies slap the "macro" title on a lens to sell more. TRUE macro lenses have a magnification ratio of 1:1 (quick research on the lens online before you buy should reveal the ratio). I don't know Nikon glass bu tI can give some advice with this thread. turn your lenses around and hold in place with rubber bands like I did for a little fun!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79506

yea I think I would like to have a true 1:1 macro lens.
have been reading a few reviews sites and think i would like a focal length some were around 60-105mm
does any one know anything about sigma macro glass??

The longer the lens the better. 105mm is a good focal length for a macro. I'd look into either of the Micro-Nikkor 105mm's. There's the standard 105mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor and the 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro-Nikkor. The VR one is newer, and aside from VR, has AF-S focusing.

Hhahahh I am in the same glass boat as you. I own the 18-70mm, and am about to buy the 105mm MicroNikkor f/2.8. It is a 1:1 macro lens. Works very well. The new VR one has VR and focuses faster, but that's it. Not worth double to three times the price in my opinion (assuming you can find the old one second hand). Performance wise they are both very similar.

The 80-200 f/2.8 is my next lens after that :)

Garbz.....
haha you most have great teats in glass then...
yea I was thinking the same about the 105mm the VR one Is ot of my price range and I hear the the older one is just is good if not better because the VR has to be off when on a tripod.
now if I understand it right there are 3 105mm macro the manual focus, the auto focus then the VR ..

oh and as far as the 80-200 that is a great lens as you know. the only lens that comes close is the 70-200 VR. I would love to get one I here they do very well with a TC..
cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back