Self Portrait

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
**takes a deeeeep breath**
Ok so I finally got something in a self portrait that I`m as ok as I`m ever going to be sharing lol, this is somewhat of a work in progress as this isn't "it" yet but it's getting there.

This is the first one I have processed from a bunch and would love to hear your thoughts on it.
One thing that is bothering me a it is the hand is catching a bit more highlight than my face, I was using one light just a little bit camera left, perhaps because my hand is a little in front of my face?
I chose to shoot in B&W and higher contrast to eliminate some wrinkly bits but I didn't want to eliminate it all, I'm relatively happy with the balance between the two in this.

C&C would be greatly appreciated on pretty much every aspect of the shot.
Thanks for taking a look!

That's a GREAT self-port! You've got a wonderful expression, and the conversion is nicely done. I agree that your hand is about 1/2 stop too bright; I would do some selective adjustment work to knock that down a bit. My only real nit is that I would prefer the camera to have been a bit higher; up the nose shots are still up the nose shots regardless of the model!

Yes, the hand is a bit brighter than your face. I think that could be "burned down" using the burn tool, with a good-sized, soft-edged brush. I think the contrast is a bit higher than optimal. There are some areas in your hair where the tones drop to pure blackness. You have really beautiful hair!!! (so lucky!) I think the camera angle is a wee bit too low to be optimal. It seems to me that maybe, just maybe, the camera is a bit too close to you, and that your hand's apparent size is a bit too big, due to some perspective distortion from the camera-to-subject distance being a bit too short. I think, ideally, having your shoulders at more of an angle to the camera might have improved the look of the shot. Also, I think that, with the hand being lighter, because the light is relatively close to you, the fall-off is rather rapid, and because the hand hides your chin and jaw lines, that *maybe* this pose would work better with that hand subtly re-positioned, and pulled back so that it is UNDER your chin, with your thumb actually clear back on your neck. With the hand out there and prominent, it almost seems like you're projecting a bit of emotional distance, an aloofness, that would be eliminated if we could see your face, totally unobstructed.

I think, also, that your body posture looks a bit "pulled back". My feeling is that you'd look more vibrant, and dynamic, if you were 1) angled and 2)l eaning forward from the waist, and 3) projecting the head and neck forward, and upward just a bit. Self-portraits can be VERY tricky, and this one's quite decent. But just looking at the raw materials you have to work with, I'm positive that you could step this up quite a bit.

This has potential... has that moody artist vibe going on.

I would suggest spraying some hairspray on a bush to tame the fly-aways up top. Right now, this is a bit "up-the-nose" which can be fixed by either having your camera at a higher angle or slightly dipping your chin. Something I learned on America's Next Top Model is the "turtle neck" trick: push your chin our as far as you can from your neck, then tilt your chin down. It feels awkward as hell, but makes for nice results.

You say you were using one light camera left; was there also a different light source? There appear to be two catch lights in your right eye. Maybe a window?

Wow, this is why I love you guys! Thanks so much for all your fast replies!
It is going to take a while to process everything you all said so I'll get back to ya after I breath a little sigh of relief over coffee lol ;)

Two quick answers to questions/comments, Jowens, yes I should have mentioned I was in a greenhouse room, windows floor to roof and also overhead, camera was in front of the windows. Derrel, the emotional distance and being pulled back was perhaps a bit "intentional" the model was a pain in the arse!! HATES getting her picture taken!

Wow-

That portrait shows your beauty, scrap the profile avatar and use this real one =)

Ok, please don't take this in the wrong way: you look like a bad ass (I originally used another term, but I really didnt want to offend anyone)...
I mean you look like the district attorney that's going to come throw my ass in jail for 100 years.. or the person who seduced a young man into cutting my brake lines in a jealous rage.
You're plotting something, and im somewhat worried now..

Thanks Laynea :)

That's a GREAT self-port! You've got a wonderful expression, and the conversion is nicely done. I agree that your hand is about 1/2 stop too bright; I would do some selective adjustment work to knock that down a bit. My only real nit is that I would prefer the camera to have been a bit higher; up the nose shots are still up the nose shots regardless of the model!

Thanks John! I shot in B&W so I could see what I was getting real time, that helped a LOT. I will try the adjustment on the hand. As for the pose, oops! good point, I shall not do that next time around lol!

Yes, the hand is a bit brighter than your face. I think that could be "burned down" using the burn tool, with a good-sized, soft-edged brush. I think the contrast is a bit higher than optimal. There are some areas in your hair where the tones drop to pure blackness. You have really beautiful hair!!! (so lucky!) I think the camera angle is a wee bit too low to be optimal. It seems to me that maybe, just maybe, the camera is a bit too close to you, and that your hand's apparent size is a bit too big, due to some perspective distortion from the camera-to-subject distance being a bit too short. I think, ideally, having your shoulders at more of an angle to the camera might have improved the look of the shot. Also, I think that, with the hand being lighter, because the light is relatively close to you, the fall-off is rather rapid, and because the hand hides your chin and jaw lines, that *maybe* this pose would work better with that hand subtly re-positioned, and pulled back so that it is UNDER your chin, with your thumb actually clear back on your neck. With the hand out there and prominent, it almost seems like you're projecting a bit of emotional distance, an aloofness, that would be eliminated if we could see your face, totally unobstructed.

I think, also, that your body posture looks a bit "pulled back". My feeling is that you'd look more vibrant, and dynamic, if you were 1) angled and 2)l eaning forward from the waist, and 3) projecting the head and neck forward, and upward just a bit. Self-portraits can be VERY tricky, and this one's quite decent. But just looking at the raw materials you have to work with, I'm positive that you could step this up quite a bit.

Thanks for the great C&C Derrel! The input on the posing and why is very much appreciated I really struggled being in front of the lens, I always have, I turn into an awkward goober :blushing: I can't tell you how many pictures I looked at and took to figure this one out.
I will take everything you said on board for next time around :)
This has potential... has that moody artist vibe going on.

I would suggest spraying some hairspray on a bush to tame the fly-aways up top. Right now, this is a bit "up-the-nose" which can be fixed by either having your camera at a higher angle or slightly dipping your chin. Something I learned on America's Next Top Model is the "turtle neck" trick: push your chin our as far as you can from your neck, then tilt your chin down. It feels awkward as hell, but makes for nice results.

You say you were using one light camera left; was there also a different light source? There appear to be two catch lights in your right eye. Maybe a window?
Thanks Jessica, being perfectly honest it was more likely moody about having to overcome despising being in front of the camera lol!
I love that show! Great suggestions :)
Wow-

That portrait shows your beauty, scrap the profile avatar and use this real one =)

Thanks Steve, done!

Ok, please don't take this in the wrong way: you look like a bad ass (I originally used another term, but I really didnt want to offend anyone)...
I mean you look like the district attorney that's going to come throw my ass in jail for 100 years.. or the person who seduced a young man into cutting my brake lines in a jealous rage.
You're plotting something, and im somewhat worried now..

I'll take bad ass! (would have taken the other one too ;) )
Like I mentioned to Jessica, my feelings about being in front of the lens perhaps were showing lol

Ok, another deep breath because posting this one scares me way more than the other one did. Going through the rest of the set this one stood out and I think it fixes a lot of the issues mentioned about the other one.
I'm totally unsure about the framing though
Thoughts?

"Play Misty for Me" just popped into my mind.

Oh my! Unsure how to take that ;)

I'm not familiar with Play Misty For Me so I googled it and its a psychological thriller lol...

Last edited:
I'd have to echo what everyone else has said on the first one. Now the second one, I REALLY like - your right eye just keeps drawing my attention. I'm not sure how I'd describe the expression - not really flirty . . . perhaps sultry?

PR, I think you're getting short shrift here.
You have terrific eyes and gaze.
That below the nose pose wipes out your cheekbone and somewhat nullifies your eyes.

I would try a higher view, maybe with your face down a tiny bit so your jawline id pulled nicely tight.

(If you have a moment, have a look at this one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back