Sell my Nikon FX gear and go with Fuji X-Pro 2?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately I have been toying around the idea of dumping all my Nikon FX gear and jumping straight into the flagship Fuji X system, the X-Pro 2 and a few lenses.

Why? I don't know. I've lost my photography spark and maybe changing systems will get that spark back.

Yes, the battery life is garbage but there isn't anything you can do about it besides having a few spares. I'm a selective shooter anyways so I probably can get away with it.

Lenses are fine...Fuji has everything that I would want/need.

The only thing that is really holding me back is how Lightroom handles X-Trans raw files, all the detail is smeared. Even my older Nikon D60 raw files have better details than the X-Pro 2 does. But that isn't the X-Pro 2's sensor fault, its Adobe. So I'd also have to invest into a decent raw converter and convert them before importing into Lightroom. Huge deal? Probably not. I believe the better raw converters out there have batch processing so just one extra step. But doable. Maybe Adobe will fix this demosaicing issue someday soon. They have made progress on it, but it's still not there.

Is it a really bad idea to sell all my gear and go the Fuji route? I don't know. I'd probably end up regretting it or I could end up falling in love.

I'm loving the x-e2.
Not shooting for clients anymore though.
So glad I dumped all that heavy clunky gear. Really made photography enjoyable again.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I'm loving the x-e2.
So glad I dumped all that heavy clunky gear. Really made photography enjoyable again.

If I had a Fuji X system, I don't see why I couldn't do professional jobs. There are a quite few that use the XT1 and X-Pro cameras. That 56 1.2 is a really nice piece of glass.

I'm loving the x-e2.

If I had a Fuji X system, I don't see why I couldn't do professional jobs. There are a quite few that use the XT1 and X-Pro cameras. That 56 1.2 is a really nice piece of glass.
Nah, i heard mirrorless cameras weren't professional..so...no. sorry.

But, on the plus side, the image quality has been good, I can actually take the camera with me without breaking my neck, and having the EVF has been fantastic.
My wife is making a formal dress for our neighbors high schooler so she will probably get some portraits when she's done. I'm interested in seeing how the fuji does with the OCF.

Lately I have been toying around the idea of dumping all my Nikon FX gear and jumping straight into the flagship Fuji X system, the X-Pro 2 and a few lenses.

Why? I don't know. I've lost my photography spark and maybe changing systems will get that spark back.

No offense, but based on this statement you could just as easily say "I'm not really digging my favorite breakfast cereal anymore, maybe if I got a new bowl and spoon it will taste good again."

In my eyes this may be less an issue of the tool used, and more an issue of the muse. Have you tried switching to a different skill set within photography? Maybe try something you've never tried before, or maybe were to intimidated by, or something you didn't give much thought to?

If changing gear is what it takes to get your spark back, then by all means do what makes you happy. I would feel bad for you if it was a case of the spoon not making the food taste better though... especially after the monetary and emotional investment of Nikon FX gear.

I'm loving the x-e2.

Nah, i heard mirrorless cameras weren't professional..so...no. sorry.

But, on the plus side, the image quality has been good, I can actually take the camera with me without breaking my neck, and having the EVF has been fantastic.
My wife is making a formal dress for our neighbors high schooler so she will probably get some portraits when she's done. I'm interested in seeing how the fuji does with the OCF.

I don't hurt my neck with the D610, I use a sling strap. Weight isn't an issue.

Another problem is that I like to shoot video too and I'm thinking my D610 will be better at that task. But there isn't much examples out there of the X-Pro 2 yet.

No offense, but based on this statement you could just as easily say "I'm not really digging my favorite breakfast cereal anymore, maybe if I got a new bowl and spoon it will taste good again."

In my eyes this may be less an issue of the tool used, and more an issue of the muse. Have you tried switching to a different skill set within photography? Maybe try something you've never tried before, or maybe were to intimidated by, or something you didn't give much thought to?

If changing gear is what it takes to get your spark back, then by all means do what makes you happy. I would feel bad for you if it was a case of the spoon not making the food taste better though... especially after the monetary and emotional investment of Nikon FX gear.

Call me weird, but spoons can taste different depending on the type metal used. Hahaha.

I'm gonna go on record as saying that changing gear definitely made a difference to me.
I had really started to hate photography. Some of that was dealing with clients and deadlines, some was simply hating dragging around FF gear.
Going to fuji (and stopping client work) really made photography fun again. Actually wanting to take the camera out with me made all the difference in the world.

So yea....changing gear CAN make a difference.

Love of photography is not connected to the gear you use, if you love photography then you love photography, if you are a gear head like me then photography is just an excuse to get more photography equipment.
Lucky for me I love photography as much as I love gear so it goes hand in hand.
Right now I am completely in focus to improve my skills, I have 2 mentors and I shot events, portraits, real estate and I improve everyday and this is not connected to any gear.
So if you lost the love to photography then just sell your gear and get a nice point and shoot for traveling or just when you feel like shooting something, dont waste your money on moving to another system only to find in few weeks/months you are back to square one like you are now.
I dont know you but I have a feeling you simply fell out of love with photography, nothing wrong with that but dont waste you money just to try something that might be pointless and a waste of time.
Look deep inside of you, dont rush into anything, see if you still have true passion for photography and not gear, if you do then see how and why Fuji or Sony or who/what ever will be better for you then what you currently have.

I used to collect fountain pens, had invested a fortune in it, few times in value of what I currently have in photography gear, one day I felt I fell out of love with this hobby, I waited few months just to be sure and when I felt like I really lost interest in this hobby, I sold my entire collection.
Few of my friends where shocked as they knew me as the fountain pen guy who always have some vintage fountain pen in his pocket and then all is gone, now almost no one remember this hobby of mine.
Sometimes we move on in life, it happened and its natural.

What ever floats your boat.
Sell your FX and go mirrorless.
You may want to talk to some of the folks that went from FX to mirrorless and then went back to FX.

You could also ADD a mirrorless to your bag, and see how your like it, then make a decision later to dump the FX.

Love of photography is not connected to the gear you use, if you love photography then you love photography, if you are a gear head like me then photography is just an excuse to get more photography equipment.
Right now I am completely in focus to improve my skills, I have 2 mentors and I shot events, portraits, real estate and I improve everyday and this is not connected to any gear.
So if you lost the love to photography then just sell your gear and get a nice point and shoot for traveling or just when you feel like shooting something, dont waste your money on moving to another system only to find in few weeks/months you are back to square one like you are now.
I dont know you but I have a feeling you simply fell out of love with photography, nothing wrong with that but dont waste you money just to try something that might be pointless and a waste of time.
Look deep inside of you, dont rush into anything, see if you still have true passion for photography and not gear, if you do then see how and why Fuji or Sony or who/what ever will be better for you then what you currently have.

I used to collect fountain pens, had invested a fortune in it, few times in value of what I currently have in photography gear, one day I felt I fell out of love with this hobby, I waited few months just to be sure and when I felt like I really lost interest in this hobby, I sold my entire collection.
Few of my friends where shocked as they knew me as the fountain pen guy who always have some vintage fountain pen in his pocket and then all is gone, now almost no one remember this hobby of mine.

You make a good point. My passion is there, I haven't lost that. But I just don't have the "spark" to go and take pictures. I remember bringing my camera around everywhere. But D610 + 24-120 f/4 isn't a really lightweight system and I just don't bring it when I'm out doing errands. If I know I will be going shooting then yes, I bring it of course.

I think the root of my problem is the fact I don't shoot enough. So maybe having a compact camera that I can bring with me everywhere is what I need to do. But unfortunately I have to sell a piece of gear to get it.

... I remember bringing my camera around everywhere. But D610 + 24-120 f/4 isn't a really lightweight system and I just don't bring it when I'm out doing errands. ...
One reason I use a more compact 24-85/2.8-4.0 instead of the larger lenses like 24-70/2.8, and my smaller 80-200/2.8 vs 70-200/2.8
Sometimes there's good alternatives instead of larger glass.

I think the mirrorless, if you get fast glass, is still large and heavy. I'd look into that. Figure out what focal lengths you want and research them. If you get a variable lens, those aren't comparable to fixed lenses. You could also opt for a variable lens on FX, or even a smaller DSLR body (d5500). So many options nowadays.

I actually upgraded my P&S to a P7800 which is jacket pocketable. It sits in my car most of the time too. Very handy but is used very differently than my d600.

I think the root of my problem is the fact I don't shoot enough. So maybe having a compact camera that I can bring with me everywhere is what I need to do. But unfortunately I have to sell a piece of gear to get it.

Then I agree with Astro (FWIW). Add a mirrorless to your arsenal as opposed to replacing your gear. Sooner or later you will have seller's remorse, and the amount of cash you lose by selling your FX gear used could make up the cost of a mirrorless system.

Or you could just give all your FX gear to me. I will make a good home for it. I promise. :D

You make a good point. My passion is there, I haven't lost that. But I just don't have the "spark" to go and take pictures. I remember bringing my camera around everywhere. But D610 + 24-120 f/4 isn't a really lightweight system and I just don't bring it when I'm out doing errands. If I know I will be going shooting then yes, I bring it of course.

Well you know yourself best and if you think size and weight matters then maybe Fuji is your answer, mind you though Nikon D5500 is almost same size and weight as the Fuji X-Pro II, from comparison done the sensor on these 2 cameras is pretty much identical in performance so you will not see any real differences in IQ or low light performance. The advantage with staying with Nikon is that you dont have to sell your glass unless you have "D" lenses.
I have a D3300 which I use as second camera in events, its much smaller and lighter then my D750 but I never find I want to use it when I go out, my D750 is with me when I am on a day off or traveling but thats me, if I wanted something lighter then the D3300 would be a perfect companion.

Its not mirrorless but I think I will just sell my macro lens and get the RX100 M3 because then I can bring a camera with me everywhere. I just hate the though of selling but I do not use it that much and I could easily get extension tubes and be fine with that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back