Sell my Nikon FX gear and go with Fuji X-Pro 2?

You've been debating selling the macro lens or not for a while.
Make sure you can't get an adapter to reuse it on another platform if you are still wavering about it.

You've been debating selling the macro lens or not for a while.
Make sure you can't get an adapter to reuse it on another platform if you are still wavering about it.

I know, I have issues. Its just I can't bring my DSLR with me everywhere I go and my phone is absolute garbage at photo taking. Its fine for snapshots and that's all I use it for. But maybe going to the X-Pro 2 is not the solution because I have a funny feeling that I will regret that decision. In order for me to get back into photography, I really need to be taking more pictures and having a camera that takes high IQ pictures that I can bring with me everywhere is a HUGE plus. If I gotta sell my macro lens, then so be it. I lived without it before, I can do it again.

You may want to pick a subject that you want to photograph.
Then work on going on outings for just that subject.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take photos all day/week long.
It's a hobby and I set time for it. I could be air shows, boats, light houses, horses, watches/clocks/ clock towers, car shows, car races, etc

Some thing that you really enjoy watching, doing, etc.

You may want to pick a subject that you want to photograph.
Then work on going on outings for just that subject.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take photos all day/week long.
It's a hobby and I set time for it. I could be air shows, boats, light houses, horses, watches/clocks/ clock towers, car shows, car races, etc

Some thing that you really enjoy watching, doing, etc.

Part of the reason is that I'm a loser. I'm 25, still living with my parents. I have no life, no friends, no job, need a car to get a job and need a job to get a car and even if I had a car I'm terrible driver and don't want to drive because I'm afraid I'm going to hurt someone. Top of that, I run out of health insurance next year. So having all these thoughts and stressing out is really affecting my photography. I want to get out more, but I have social anxiety and it's really hard for me to interact with people in person. I'm in a real bad place right now. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

I don't know that you're really looking for solutions here, but... You could sell your equipment and buy a car. Then you could get a job with health insurance. By the time you earn the money back to purchase equipment again, you'll probably be feeling good again and eager to take up photography as a hobby. It just feels like you're trying to put Band-aids on a broken arm when you really need a cast.

I don't mean this to be offensive in any way. I just think your self-evaluation that your photography won't become enjoyable again until you feel better about yourself is right. You've also laid out what you need in order to feel better about yourself. So temporarily giving up your gear might be the only way to maintain your love of photography forever.

Here is my thought and course JMO. Selling your gear to try to get your mojo back is not a good idea.If you said your sick of the DSLR weight and bulk and no longer do client work and just want something for casual shooting,travel something like that I would say go for it.

One thing I still don't get is people going for light,small compact mirrorless systems and then putting some heavy glass on the front.Sure its still maybe lighter then a DSLR and FX glass but you still cant put it in your packet and you still have to lug it around.

I wanted something light for casual use but also pocketable So I got the Panasonic DMC LX7 24-90 f1.4-2.3 and it is sharp.Has full manual control,Hot shoe for optional flash or viewfinder built In ND filter and many other features. Its a small sensor 1/1/7 10MP but the fast glass makes up for it.

Part of the reason is that I'm a loser. I'm 25, still living with my parents. I have no life, no friends, no job, need a car to get a job and need a job to get a car and even if I had a car I'm terrible driver and don't want to drive because I'm afraid I'm going to hurt someone. Top of that, I run out of health insurance next year. So having all these thoughts and stressing out is really affecting my photography. I want to get out more, but I have social anxiety and it's really hard for me to interact with people in person. I'm in a real bad place right now. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Sounds to me like you may consider starting with professional counseling.

I'm not trying to be flippant or asshattish here, I'm being serious. If you have clinical depression (and many of the ingredients seem to be there for it) no amount of gear in the world is going to solve your issue. Chances are, if you suffer from this, a major change... even in a hobby... will end up making things worse.

Depression is ugly, difficult, and easy to overlook/dismiss. It can bring your life and the lives of those around you to their knees. One appointment won't kill you, and it will cost less than your mirrorless rig.

Please consider it if you think there is even a remote chance I'm on to something.

moped or bicycle also works especially during the summer.
Public transportation. In Michigan we have our SMART which you can schedule a small bus to pick you up and drop you off from specific locations (yes, from your front door to specific other locations) as long as it's scheduled several days in advance. The kicker is, it may be cheaper than a car (gas, oil, depreciation, insurance) - nicely subsidized.

Check if Vermont has something like that.

moped or bicycle also works especially during the summer.
Public transportation. In Michigan we have our SMART which you can schedule a small bus to pick you up and drop you off from specific locations (yes, from your front door to specific other locations) as long as it's scheduled several days in advance. The kicker is, it may be cheaper than a car (gas, oil, depreciation, insurance) - nicely subsidized.

Check if Vermont has something like that.

This in Vermont? Ha, trying to make me laugh or something? I live pretty remote, no public transport is coming my way any time soon! When I was in school, it took hour and half to get there and that was after picking up students! haha.

Never be afraid to try new things, but don't dump the older stuff, you might want to use it again someday, just have both options open to you. Also you may want to wait for Nikon's full frame interchangeable lens CDC offering coming out soon, maybe in September at photokina.
It would be a mistake to find out you just don't like mirrorless and wish you still had you old setup.
Personally I just buy whatever sparks an interest and add it to the collection. At some point, if it hasn't been used in a year, it will be passed down to a friend, family member or given to a charity.

Sounds to me like you may consider starting with professional counseling.

I'm not trying to be flippant or asshattish here, I'm being serious. If you have clinical depression (and many of the ingredients seem to be there for it) no amount of gear in the world is going to solve your issue. Chances are, if you suffer from this, a major change... even in a hobby... will end up making things worse.

Depression is ugly, difficult, and easy to overlook/dismiss. It can bring your life and the lives of those around you to their knees. One appointment won't kill you, and it will cost less than your mirrorless rig.

Please consider it if you think there is even a remote chance I'm on to something.

I'm not saying I'm depressed. I'm just in a really tough place right now. I haven't had things go as I planned in my life, but that's life isn't it? Some make it and some don't. It is what it is. My last resort would be to just join the military but I'm sure I can't because of my health issues. I'm sure I'll figure something out eventually.

I'm not saying I'm depressed. I'm just in a really tough place right now. I haven't had things go as I planned in my life, but that's life isn't it? Some make it and some don't. It is what it is. My last resort would be to just join the military but I'm sure I can't because of my health issues. I'm sure I'll figure something out eventually.

Fair enough. I worry about folks in regards to mental health. It carries such an unnecessary stigma that people sometimes choose to ignore it rather than address it. :)

Is there a local photography club that you can join? (even for a small town, there may be still a chance). Or any other interest group such as Astronomy group or something like that? One that you can use your camera gears?

Fair enough. I worry about folks in regards to mental health. It carries such an unnecessary stigma that people sometimes choose to ignore it rather than address it. :)

I had to see a mental health professional when I was in elementary school because the school thought there was something wrong with me because I wasn't learning the same way as other students. After they did all their tests and what not, I remember the doctor telling the school that there isn't anything wrong me and that I just don't like the school. When I got back to school, they expelled and said they don't want me back. How awesome is that? This is the BS that I had go through in my childhood, just because I am different.

Is there a local photography club that you can join? (even for a small town, there may be still a chance). Or any other interest group such as Astronomy group or something like that? One that you can use your camera gears?

I've looked, but there isn't a whole lot and most of them are just out of my way.

Most reactions

Back