Sensor Cleaning Mishap: Help

CanonSnob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jadamphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a race to shoot the next day so I went out got some sensor swabs to clean some dust that had been bothering me on my sensor. Followed the directions of one drop of the fluid and full swipes across the sensor. Did some test shots and all looked good, all dust was gone. Well I shot all the next day and it wasn't until I got home and uploaded the photos that I noticed that any motion shots, or anything with sky showed streaks across the whole sensor... top to bottom, left to right. :banghead:

They aren't terrible, and it only makes up about a 1/4 of the work shot were they are visible. Anyhow, was wondering what others technique on getting them edited out would be. On the motion shots I can select and mask out the driver and then extend the motion blur in filter. But in the ones with sky in the shot, I cant really do motion blur in the sky... the clone stamp is useless cuz it just clones other streaks, and the healing brushes aren't helping all that much either due to the fact that it is streaked with very little clean room in between streaks.

without seeing the photo it's hardly fitting to recommend a solution. I still don't see how the healing brush wouldn't be effective yet.

I would never use any liquid on the sensor anyway, for this very reason. Although ironically, your best solution for cleaning the sensor now would be a lens-cleaning solution. I can't imagine what else would work better.

When I've got dust (And the self-cleaning mechanism can't shake it off) I employ a dry Qtip and fantastically delicate touch. So far so good.
(Yes, I know about the possibilities of lint - but it's a non issue)

What camera are you using? I don't think you can use Eclipse on the newer ones, you have to use Eclipse E2. I'm not sure exactly which cameras are affected by this, but I know the XT isn't one of them. Not sure about the XTi or XSi.

I use a Canon 1D MKII

The healing has to sample a good area to replace a bad area... that would require a good area to sample from. I went back&forth across the entire surface area of the sensor, leaving streaking marks for the entire sensor. They just so only happen to be noticeable under white and blue color range. White is simple to git rid of it, blue is a little bit more tricky.

I don't think you can use Eclipse on the newer ones, you have to use Eclipse E2. I'm not sure exactly which cameras are affected by this, but I know the XT isn't one of them. Not sure about the XTi or XSi.

The 400D I know has a tin oxide sensor and needs eclipse E2

This is the list of cameras that need Eclipse E2

http://www.photosol.com/cameras_bymfg.html

found a solution. Im just using a smooth skin texture file I made, and am doing a sample healing brush from that to the smeared photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back