Serious critique time!

ricardouribeb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys! I've been taking a couple of shots lately and I wanted some critique on them, like hard critique! A little background of myself: I've been shooting for two years now, and my aspiration is to be a successful fashion photographer! I want to shoot for big names, and really big on it. Maybe be some day like Mario Testino! I practice as much as my design college and free time lets me, once I'm done with design school, I'm going full time into this. I'm 21 years old, living in Mexico.

Thanks everyone!

3.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 4.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 166
Hey guys! I've been taking a couple of shots lately and I wanted some critique on them, like hard critique! A little background of myself: I've been shooting for two years now, and my aspiration is to be a successful fashion photographer! I want to shoot for big names, and really big on it. Maybe be some day like Mario Testino! I practice as much as my design college and free time lets me, once I'm done with design school, I'm going full time into this. I'm 21 years old, living in Mexico.

Thanks everyone!

View attachment 88364 View attachment 88366 View attachment 88367
I will comment on the third photo. She had some very unflattering shadows on her face. Dark shadows especially in the cheeks give her way more age than she deserves

I think you're doing quite well.

Critique per req:

1. I like the pose on this one, but IMO, the lighting needs some work. The key light is probably about 1/2 stop too hot, rendering the skin on her face, chest and her shirt almost featureless. As well the eye make-up is a bit dark, and even though there's lots of light, she appears a bit 'racoon-eyed'. Lastly, were you using a fan? If so, I would give it a little more power; the flow of her hair isn't all that attractive. The idea's good, but it's a bit choppy looking.

2. appears to be the same lighting with a different pose; key light still too hot, and hair still rather 'messy' looking. I'm not fond of the dark/blue shadow on the right side of her face.

3. Again a nice pose, but I'd like to see the light moved so that we didn't see the hair shadow on her face, and also her face/eyes turned/moved such that the iris isn't pushed all the way to one side.

Overall, I think these are nice images, and you've got some good posing; the lighting is on the right track, but needs finesse more than anything.

Just my $00.02 worth - YMMV

~John

Critique per req:

1. I like the pose on this one, but IMO, the lighting needs some work. The key light is probably about 1/2 stop too hot, rendering the skin on her face, chest and her shirt almost featureless. As well the eye make-up is a bit dark, and even though there's lots of light, she appears a bit 'racoon-eyed'. Lastly, were you using a fan? If so, I would give it a little more power; the flow of her hair isn't all that attractive. The idea's good, but it's a bit choppy looking.

2. appears to be the same lighting with a different pose; key light still too hot, and hair still rather 'messy' looking. I'm not fond of the dark/blue shadow on the right side of her face.

3. Again a nice pose, but I'd like to see the light moved so that we didn't see the hair shadow on her face, and also her face/eyes turned/moved such that the iris isn't pushed all the way to one side.

Overall, I think these are nice images, and you've got some good posing; the lighting is on the right track, but needs finesse more than anything.

~John

I am in total agreement with this. I would add that in # 3 as well as the unflattering hair shadows there is also the one on her upraised arm. So the verdict in my opinion is that lighting is the weakest thing, and so that should be perfected before moving on.

Critique per req:

~John

Thanks a lot!

So when you say that the light is too hot on the first and second images what do you mean? Like overexposed?
It was my first time using continuous light for a fashion shoot, I'm used to strobe lights, does that have to do with what you're saying?

I agree btw, I think I make very good selections, but I still lack a bit of practice in the lighting little details,

Thanks for your comment!

Thanks everyone!

View attachment 88364 View attachment 88366 View attachment 88367
I will comment on the third photo. She had some very unflattering shadows on her face. Dark shadows especially in the cheeks give her way more age than she deserves

Thanks, I agree with that. For some reason when I'm taking the pictures I don't notice this kind of little details, and it is precisely what I'm trying to get better at right now. Like the small details that make huge differences.

The first one I like the best. Agree re: the key light a bit too hot. I'd like to see the top of the models head. And is it me or is there some kind of weird noise thing going on on the back of the right sleeve? I like her expression and the shadow falloff from her face to her neck.

I absolutely LOVE the second image, but agree the key is a bit too hot. The brightest part is across her chest, when it should be her face. You could even out the brightness in PS so that it's more consistent - all is definitely not lost in this image.

Great work on the pose though, and the colours are really great. Good work.

Good to see someone besides me is trying portrait and posing. I am finding there is a lot more to it than I ever imagined. I have no further comments than what these guys have said. Keep it up.

Good to see someone besides me is trying portrait and posing. I am finding there is a lot more to it than I ever imagined. I have no further comments than what these guys have said. Keep it up.

EXACTLY ... The guys who really know what they're doing make it look like it was simple, obvious & easy :)

Most reactions

Back