Sharpness... Please help.

You guys are awesome, I'm learning a ton. Going to apply what I've learned from this soon and report back. Hoping to see a difference.

I think the Nikon D3200 is not the best in terms of picture quality. I just replaced it with Nikon D5100 and very happy with the result. I faced the same issue of sharpness with D3200. Please check my photo gallery and let me know what you think about the photo which I took using Nikon D5100.

Edit: Link to the photos

sudhishkv Gallery - The Photo Forum Photo Gallery

I really hope the camera isn't to blame in my case but I'm starting to feel like it is. I really want to get to the bottom of my issues because it's really starting to frustrate me. I just feel like no matter what I do, the pictures are decent but not good and far from great. Very frustrating...

I have my portfolio in various forms, launching from http://www.element.gs. I've been traveling for a couple weeks now so I have only had an opportunity to update my 500px and my Facebook but both links are there...

I would be curious to know what you all think of the image quality... I'm really just not feeling it.

It's likely your inexperince and not the camera. Take sudhishkv's comments with a large grain of salt.

The D3200 and the D5100 use the same Nikon MULTI-CAM 1000 auto focus module sensor.

If an experienced photographer took a photo with both the D3200 and the D5100 using the same lens the 2 photos would look virtually identical.
Their image sensors also deliver virtually identical performance - DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

So then I'm pretty much at a loss. I don't know how to be better. I'm under the impression that I'm doing everything right. I have a great lens, a decent camera, settings adjusted as I've been instructed and pretty much following all the guides I've read... I just seem to be missing something and it's really bumming me out.

Oh right, I actually forgot about that one. o_O

A lens is never at its sharpest when the aperture is wide open, it has a sweetspot which is usually a few stops down from wide open (which is why SCraig tells you to stop down).

Very much not true. Samyang 85mm lens are sharp wide open while less sharp stopped down from wide open. The lens was made to be shot at 1.4.

So then I'm pretty much at a loss. I don't know how to be better. I'm under the impression that I'm doing everything right. I have a great lens, a decent camera, settings adjusted as I've been instructed and pretty much following all the guides I've read... I just seem to be missing something and it's really bumming me out.

What if your camera or len isnt calibrated? Have you tried adjusting your viewfinder? Not that it would affect AF.

Oh right, I actually forgot about that one. o_O

A lens is never at its sharpest when the aperture is wide open, it has a sweetspot which is usually a few stops down from wide open (which is why SCraig tells you to stop down).

Very much not true. Samyang 85mm lens are sharp wide open while less sharp stopped down from wide open. The lens was made to be shot at 1.4.
Perhaps you should read this review then.Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical (full format) - Review / Test Report

What if your camera or len isnt calibrated? Have you tried adjusting your viewfinder? Not that it would affect AF.

I haven't actually heard anything about this or even knew this was a requirement. I'll look into it.

Lol it's also $1700.00

Patriot said:

Actually, your post is very much not true.

IByte said:
Lol it's also $1700.00

It's below $300. Look on B&H. You may also find it branded as Rokinon. No AF, but pretty nice optics.

It's below $300. Look on B&H. You may also find it branded as Rokinon. No AF, but pretty nice optics.

Really now $300 for an 85mm....might have to check this out. Well played Mr. Tyler...well played.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back