Shooting on private property

Nightsblood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I live in the land of farms. Tons of farm land, beautiful areas to photo.

Do you find that folks generally will allow you to shoot photos on their land or not? I figure they would have to worry about liability and such.

I thought trespassing comprised half the fun of photography...

Sorry guys, totally forgot the search tool.

And, Im a police officer and pleading ignorance to a class 1 misdemeanor is not a viable option. Not to mention, most of the property owners in this area have guns.

Not Good! :sillysmi:

Just be quick or dont be quickand really set up a good shot. If someone wants to prosecute you for taking photos on their property let them.. Unless you run into some super d*ck I cant imagine someone going after you for shooting on their property. Although I dont really understand people that well so I may be way off. I was recently shooting on someones farm I was on the edge of their property mind you. Who I can only assume was the owner came out of his house crossed his arms and glared at me. I looked right at him made eye contact and went about taking more photos, I left because my card filled up but I must have been there for ten minutes while he just glared... Ultimatly though he did nothing and I got a couple decent shots. If the guy had come over to me and asked me to leave I would have, if he had asked what I was doing I would have told him and even offer to frame him a photo of his house or the great view he gets from it, but just standing there trying to ntimidate me is going to do nothing.. I hate jerks like that guy.

In my experience a lot of "private" areas have great shots.

Mind providing a link for the original poster? ;)

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42752
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87349
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81775

These are really good, lot's of info in them. They have a great links within the threads, too.

To the OP: Probably the easiest thing to do, especially for farmland, would be knock on the door of the farmhouse, explain who you are, and ask permission to shoot on their land. Less hassles that way, and I can't imagine too many people that would flat out refuse.

I haven't tried when taking pictures but have entered private farmland when hunting and fishing. The basic rule is always ask first. You'll run into one or two hard-boiled eggs that just don't want anyone on their property. Usually though, the landowner will have no problem as long as you explain what you're up to and don't stomp around on the crops. It's not only common courtesy but farms can be dangerous. Being warned away from going down in the south pasture because of the "mean" cows is much better then finding that the fence line is a long way off as a 1000 pounds of pissed-off cow is headed your way at a clip faster then you can run. I've also been warned off due to things like aerial pesticide spraying. You don't want to get caught out in a thick cloud if bug spray, very bad for your health. So I'd say ask first, keeps everything above board and may be better for your personal well-being.

Im pretty sure we'll go the "ask first" route. My wife will probably go along for this one so, I'll get her to ask. Shes more persuasive than I .

I just wanted to know how the landowners usually take such as request. And thanks for the links, that'll be my morning read.

BTW, recieved my 20D in the big brown truck yesterday. Man, I gots lotsa learning to do.

If you do sneak on the property, don't be the dork that I am and sprain your ankle (happens all the time.. weak ankes but I forgot my walking stick). hehehe lol.

Wasn't funny at the time but I like to think back and laugh.. me crawling on all fours to my car with a camera bag dragging behind me.. hehehehe lol

Haha...great question.

I love Lol999 answer too!

I have a place down the road I want to get into today and get pics. They also board horses so maybe I'll just look like a boarder...unless I sprain my ankle.

Yes, there are a lot of people that will act first and plead dumb later (what? you mean that barbwire fence, those no trespasing signs were for real?) when it comes to going where ever they want to to get a picture. That's why the next person that comes along and does knock on the owners door to ask permission either gets yelled at ("...and you can tell those other photographing tresspasser that the next time I catch them I'll use my rifle!") or chased off by the dogs before you even get to ask.

There are a local bunch of photographers around here that will even go into old buildings on someone's property without asking first... "...but the light was perfect right then." These guys have the same attitude and will jump any fence, skip past any sign, across planted fields and even ignore the boarded up entrances to old buildings and barns, to get their pictures.

Frankly, it's people like that that ruin it for all of us.

Mike

Think of it this way--For most landowners, the land is all they have and is as much a part of the family as is the offspring.

have a good one
3Eo

Most reactions

Back