Should I ask for my money back?

How much did you pay? that would be a first indication that something is wrong. "£125 for 4 shoots with free print from each and then £50 per shoot for CD."

Second, did you check portfolio? everything on his portfolio is out of focus like this, then id say you didn't check. if all of his portfolio is tack sharp, images you like. just tell the photographer was not consistent with the work he promoted and that you want a refund. i wouldn't bother with a reshoot, he gave you crap the fist time he will give you crap the second time

Last edited:
£125 for 4 shoots with free print from each and then £50 per shoot for CD.

We really had this coming. Thanks for letting me vent though everyone
Tell you what, for round-trip airfare, a few nights on your couch, meals and you-buy-the-beer, I can be on a plane tomorrow to reshoot for you!

John's starting a bidding war. I"ll buy my own beer ;)

Ok, I'll play. You pick up the airfare and give me a couch for 1 night, 3 meals and I'll bring homemade brownies for dessert. Here's some of my previous work for example:

Harper, 1 year

Harper, 9 months

Harper, 6 months

So, do we have a deal? :sexywink:

How i wish you were here, lol

I just don't understand why this photographer is trying to make money. This person should do this for free to gain experiences, not making profit. I shoot photographs on my friends for fun and practices, and give them photos as return for letting me shooting them.

I just don't understand why this photographer is trying to make money. This person should do this for free to gain experiences, not making profit. I shoot photographs on my friends for fun and practices, and give them photos as return for letting me shooting them.

Well it's quite simply because they know that there will be people out there who are willing to pay them. The are two parts of a photography business, the photography and the business. You can get away with knowing less photography if you know more business.

This is reckless and irresponsible. If this photographer keeps this up, this person will get sued and jeopardized his own reputation.

Vary few people will go to the trouble to sue someone for the relatively small amount of money they payed for some family photos. The time and cost of the lawsuit would be more then the few hundred dollars they may have spent.

How much is the time of a normal adult worth?

125 GBP for 4 shoots is 31.25 GBP per shoot.

I can tell you, if I do a photo shoot it takes 2-3 hours, and post processing takes substantially longer (read 10 hours).

So, were I shooting for 31.25 GBP a shoot, I'd be earning 2.60 GBP an hour.

If someone is willing to earn that on a photoshoot, that should give you some indication of their level of experience.

Or, perhaps, you've been short changed and they're not going to be able to service you properly at all.

Either way, such a cheap rate is indicative of the quality, and frankly, you got what you paid for

I would pay for the photos from the first shoot, and call them "baby photos", and be done with that. Ask for a refund of the balance, and keep the pics safe, as memento's of your baby's early days; even awful baby photos are still "baby photos", and some day in the future they will be cherished, even if they are technically not all that great.

I wouldn't pay for them. But then again if I was the photographer who toke these.. I wouldn't expect you to pay.
I understand everyone has to start somewhere.. But you shouldn't change that amount of money for s h ! T.

Would any of you pay for these? Am i blowing things out of proportion? I look at the EXIF and see they shot the whole shoot at f8 1/125. Many pictures even miss the focus point, i.e chin in focus but eyes blurry.
Maybe somebody already mentioned this, but for a studio shoot, I would generally EXPECT the aperture and speed to be constant throughout all of the photos. When you control the light and keep it constant, there's really no reason to ever change them, unless on an artistic whim, and even then, maybe like half as one block and half as another or something.

Different numbers for each one would be a signal that they don't really know what they are doing.

That said, f/8 is a little odd for this shoot. I'd probably go f/4 or something (more blur in the back, but not too open since the baby doesn't conveniently line up with the focal plane as much as you might like), but meh. That's not refund-worthy stuff.

This thread has been dormant for over six months!
Oh, dammit. I always check myself not to do that, but not ones that other people have necro'ed...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back