Flavio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone!

I have a Fuji X-T20 and also a Fuji 35mm f1.4. I like this lens, but sometimes I wish it was faster to autofocus and didn´t make those noises autofocusing when I'm shooting video...so, I'm considering to order the 35mm f2.
I also have the fuji 16mm f2.8 and I love the small size and the overall feel of using it (focus speed, focus ring, aperture ring).
Should I buy the 35mm f2 or is not worth the money since I already have the f1.4?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Just my view - with newer bodies (X-T2, T20, Pro-2 and even better with 3's/30's) plus latest lens and body firmware, the f1.4 is acceptably fast and only marginally slower than the f2 - so unless you are using it under very demanding circumstances where ultra fast focus is essential (birds in flight, fast sports - nether of which suit the 35mm field of view), I don't think the focus speed of the f2 is a significant improvement. Plus your T20 is not weathersealed, so you lose any weatherproofing benefit.

And unless shooting video using autofocus (not recommended with any lens as they all hunt), why would focus sounds matter? And the f1.4 is hardly heavy or bulky.

But on the other hand, f1.4 is a significant, real-world improvement over f2 for low light and control over depth of field. You can keep iso lower to reduce noise, or increase shutter speed to reduce movement blur, plus you can get better subject separation.

So I don't know why you'd ever choose the f2 over the f1.4 except under very rare circumstances.

If you want one of the newer lenses, get something that adds new capability like the 50mm or the 23mm. Or if you want a low cost addition that gives you a very different field of view - buy a used 15-45 ..... it's a great little wide angled lens and good value even if you never take it off 15mm.

In summary - any other lens from the Fuji tange except the 35 f2 would be a better option.

Last edited:
The one lens I will never part with as long as I have the Fujifilm X system is the 35 f1.4. The lens has character.

• Just to muddy the waters further: love the 50/2 as short portrait/tele lens; then there's the 23/2...Keep the 35/1.4. For me the real joy of the ILC Fuji APS-C system is less in the bodies than in the lenses--most of them stone-cold bargains.

The 35 f/2 is super fast focusing. Have to say I very rarely use it. I have the 18-55 and the 16-80 and unless I’m really trying to minimize my kit to fit in a small bag (for example going to a family party), I always go for the convenience of a zoom.

Over the past 30 years I have owned two Nikkor 35mm f/1.4lenses, my VERY-FIRST Nikkor was an old, horrible 35 f/2.8 from the mid-1960's, and I have owned the 35 f/2O.C.Nikkor, and the 35 f/2Ai-S, and the 35 F/2 AFD...I greatly prefer the smaller size and weight of an f/2 35mm...on APS-C the 35 fills the role of a 50mm on FF...for ease of carry, to me an f/2 would be preferable unless you needed the f/1.4for extreme low-light or DOF isolation

I have the 35 f/2 and absolutely love it. I’ve never handled the 1.4, but I honestly feel no need to upgrade to it.

I'd add the f2 version. It's WR, fast focusing, and small. Pro's use it for these reasons.

Fuji XF 35mm f1.4 vs 35mm f2 – The Bokeh Test

Just watched Ted Vieria's short video comparing the 1.4 and the f/2.....he prefers the f/2...nearly silent ,hunt-free AF. Almost identical bokeh, only $399.
I've seen that Ted Vieira's video yesterday and I like the way he explaines why he prefers the f/2 version, I have a growing curiosity to try the 35mm f/2 for myself :)
Thanks for your replys ;-)

The 35 f/2 is super fast focusing. Have to say I very rarely use it. I have the 18-55 and the 16-80 and unless I’m really trying to minimize my kit to fit in a small bag (for example going to a family party), I always go for the convenience of a zoom.
Hi, I also use a lot my 18-55mm 2.8. It's a great and convenient lens, but I love to use the 35 f1.4 for the lightweight and for forcing me to move my feet to achive the composition I want. I wonder if the 35mm f2 would be an upgrade or not really...

• Just to muddy the waters further: love the 50/2 as short portrait/tele lens; then there's the 23/2...Keep the 35/1.4. For me the real joy of the ILC Fuji APS-C system is less in the bodies than in the lenses--most of them stone-cold bargains.
I had the 23mm 1.4 but it's to wide for me. I used a 50mm 1.8 on my nikon D3100 and I've always prefered the 35mm... I guess is focal length I resonate the most! Thanks for the help ;-)

I have the 35 f/2 and absolutely love it. I’ve never handled the 1.4, but I honestly feel no need to upgrade to it.

Have you used it for any astro? I’ve brought it out with me a few times at night but never found the right time to use it.

My 35 f2 has been sitting idle for a year. Just this week I decided to take it on a walk because it is so light. I had forgotten how sharp it is.

Have you used it for any astro? I’ve brought it out with me a few times at night but never found the right time to use it.

I have used it for Astro shots, but never end up being happy with the results so I’ve never published any of them.. I’m sure it has uses for Astro, but I generally prefer wider. Generally I use my 12-24 for that type of work, but I want something faster so a 16/1.4 or 12/2 is in my future eventually.

Most reactions

Back