Should I buy this as my first?

Scuderia07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've finally decided I'm going to take the plunge and order my first camera. I have settled on the Nikon D5600. Other than pictures on my smartphone, I know nothing about photography or taking photos.

I have done a lot of research and have asked questions. I've came to the conclusion that the D5600 is perfect for me.

I plan on using this for landscape and outdoor photos, and for my main passion, Formula 1 racing. After talking to some people in the know, they recommended the two lenses I get right off the bat for what I want to use it for would be the NIKKOR 18-55mm and the NIKKOR 70-300mm.

I have just found a deal on Adorama for around $900 I'd get the D5600 body, these two lenses, and some other goodies (a bag, memory card, and some software!) I'm ready to get it. My question Is, firstly is this a great deal? And secondly, the lenses that come with it are the NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens, and the NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED. I've noticed a lot say that the VR version of the 70-300mm is way better. I am going to see Formula 1 race in June in Montreal. I'd really like to get some great shots of the cars, and I know the 70-300mm is going to be my friend. But should I get this deal then possibly trade this lens and pay whatever the difference is to get the VR version of the 70-300mm? Just wanted some input and advice. Thanks all!

The D5600 is a poor value in comparison to it's predecessor. Take a look for yourself:
Nikon D5500 vs Nikon D5600 Detailed Comparison

Typically for entry level DSLR's people tend to buy the package that already has a 18-55mm lens (commonly called the kit lens)--so that should already be something thats included.
VR stands for vibration reduction. Without this technology and a tripod, your pictures will constantly be blurry, out of focus. I would say the two are an absolute 100% must for the type of photography you will be doing.
You are also going to have to learn camera basics (Shutter speed, Arperture, ISO) before getting out there to get decent captures.

Good luck.

Edit: If the price you mentioned is USD, than it doesn't seem like that great of a deal. Amazon.com has the d5500 + same 2x lenses for $596.95.

Last edited:
The D5600 is a poor value in comparison to it's predecessor.
+1

VR stands for vibration reduction. Without this technology and a tripod, your pictures will constantly be blurry, out of focus.
Now this is gross misinformation.

Obviously people could take images long before image stabilization was around.

VR just allows you to use lower shutterspeeds than without. Depending upon the situation - the positive effect can be zero, because you also have to avoid subject movement blurr, not just camera shake blurr. For people for example you want 1/125 sec shutter speed, at least 1/60 sec. Since the rule is that for a (full frame equivalent) focal length of N you want 1/N sec shutterspeed, you can use a 50mm or even 100mm lens with these kinds of shutterspeeds.

VR also can introduce blurr if its used inproperly, too.

Formula1 action is all about a higher shutter speed. The VR will be turned off for those higher shutter speeds, so a tripod is not needed at all for fast action. For landscape etc a tripod is helpful especially in slower shutter speeds.

The D5600 is a bit smaller and more compact than the D5500 but there's not much difference other than I think the SmartBridge - NFC/Bluetooth stuff.

I would also recommend the 70-300 AF-"P" lens which is a much faster focusing lens than the 70-300 AF-S lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back