SportsShooter.com - 1D4 Thoughts After a Couple Games
A professional sports shooter, complaining about the "inconsistency" of the Mark IV on sports. I have to laugh about the fellows who have been shooting for 18 months and who do not know who robgalbraith actually "is". It's hilarious to hear a newbie photographer trying to badmouth a guy who has been a professional sports photographer in Canada for over 20 years, a professional photojournalist for over FOURTY years, and who has covered BOTH Gulf Wars! Also, Rob Galbraith wrote the first guidebook for professional photojournalists on digital cameras, back in 1994,and was one of the WORLD's first photojournalists to use the then-state of the art d-slr body made by Kodak....Rob is a FORTY YEAR veteran of photojournalism! Not some newbie part-time hobby shooter with a good day job and 2 cameras...
Sorry, but efforts to discredit Rob Galbraith are pretty pathetic attempts, all by novice shooters who simply do not "know" who the man they are trying to impugn actually "is" in the world of photography! It's kind of lame, since I know "who" Rob actually is--as do tens of thousands of working photojournalists....he's the guy that got Canon to finally admit there was a huge AF problem with their MARK III camera,after they denied it,vehemently.And then Canon spent months working with him--because of how much influence and experience he actually has among people "in the business". Trying to badmouth other people in order to justify one's own purchases is a reprehensible behavior--manifesting itself on many internet forums. Rob was one of the first-ever "experts" in d-slr use and workflow, and in this forum we have a novice shooter with less than 2 years experience trying to discredit the man,over and over and over. It's a case of internet fanboyism--trying to knock down long-time experts who teach other professionals how to handle digital camera operation,workflow,and processing. Thom Hogan has written 19 guidebooks on Nikon SLRs...and yet we have an individual in this forum that repeatedly bashes the guy, based upon no real qualifications, nor much experience. It's internet fanboyism...who does one trust these days? The guy who talks a good game, but has been into photography for a matter of months, of people in their 50's and 60's and with decades of experience?
Already, the people in the business, are reporting some problems with the Mark IV's **inconsistency***. Read closely, and it's clear--the camera has a very inconsistent pattern of behavior on peak action sports. THere is a blog post linked earlier here where the author goes through problems he is having with his new Mark IV, including a button already sticking...
The pro I refer to says, "I have to say that for me that set of parameters
was pretty inconsistent. Granted I was shooting
through the glass for hockey which had it's fair
share of puck marks and smudges but I was
hoping for a bit better out of Canons latest. The
basketball court was even more problematic in
my opinion. I would definitely not use expansion
there again. The AF simply grabs other players
too randomly. I'm going to try using the slow
sensitivity at some point but I don't have much
confidence in it. " and also "For whatever reasons it was just very inconsistent. There
were times when I thought I was locked onto a single player
with no one else around her yet the photos came out slightly
out of focus. Other times I thought I had acquired initial
AF tracking on a player yet as I followed the player for
a few frames it was in and out of focus. These were not
very fast motions either, simply players dribbling from one
side of the court to another. You would think that in
standard sensitivity it could keep up. "
Other working pros who are **honest** are reporting issues with "inconsistent" AF performance in the Mark IV. Not people shooting static stuff, but actual,working professional sports and news shooters.
The camera is barely out on the market yet.
I challenge anybody who thinks the camera is without problems to go and download and looka t the 900+ pictures here:
Rob Galbraith DPI: Seeing for yourself
It's free to download the zip files, and it gives a good example of sequential AF problems and inconsistency across a wide spectrum of actual sports shooting, not carefully hand-picked one day set-ups conducted by Canon at Canon's behest. Not at NFL stadiums with killer lighting, but "real world" college and HS sports.