Should I get the Nikon D90? (Have D5000 now)

McMommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the option to return my D5000 kit and buy a D90 kit, for a couple hundred dollars more.

Would you do it? Why or why not? The other option is that if I stick this this D5000, I will likely want to upgrade to a pro camera in about a year. If I get the D90, I feel like I will be satisfied with it for much longer.

I like the ability to switch the iso, aperture,and everything by touch of a button, instead of having to scroll through the menu. I like that it has it's own in-body focusing, and it feels better in my hand, not like I'm going to drop it like sometimes I feel with the D5000.

So... yes or no? What would you do? Oh by the way, I have a 35mm 1.8 lens, and would also be getting the 18-105mm kit lens with the camera.

Oh btw, I know the differences, I've googled it over and over.

I'm just asking for a matter of opinion. Would you trade it in or no?

Honestly, I think you can go " pro" with "any" camera for the most part. Its all about knowing how- and what your doing. Everyone has their own styles of shooting. You've obviously stated you know and prefer the differences between the 2 (5000 vs 90)...you sound like your mind is made up, so are u just wanting our opinion on what *we* would do?

Personally, if I *knew* I'd plan on going further with my hobby, and knew the differences with settings and how to use them...or willing to learn. Not to mention had the FUNDS...I would trade in *MY* D5000 for a D90--in a matter of seconds. That's what I wanted to begin with but financially couldn't go there...(Yet)

I am not saying I don't like the D5000; I LOVE IT! Very happy with my choice.
But, obviously the d90 has more options, and let's you do more....etc.

After that being said, and funds allowing it, and intentions of going further.

Yes. Trade in for a D90!

Hope my random rambling helped a little.

I would! Its a better, stronger, faster camera. The d90 is a mid-range camera, while the d5000 is a beginner.

I have the option to return my D5000 kit and buy a D90 kit, for a couple hundred dollars more.

Would you do it? Why or why not? The other option is that if I stick this this D5000, I will likely want to upgrade to a pro camera in about a year. If I get the D90, I feel like I will be satisfied with it for much longer.

I like the ability to switch the iso, aperture,and everything by touch of a button, instead of having to scroll through the menu. I like that it has it's own in-body focusing, and it feels better in my hand, not like I'm going to drop it like sometimes I feel with the D5000.

So... yes or no? What would you do? Oh by the way, I have a 35mm 1.8 lens, and would also be getting the 18-105mm kit lens with the camera.
Both the 35 mm f/1.8 and the Kit lens 18-105 have focusing motors in the lens so having a focus motor in the D90 doesn't gain you anything right now.

I did want to say that focusing is always in the lens. The D90 has a motor in it that can drive the focusing mechanism in lenses that don't have a motor.

You may want to note that the focus motor in the D90 will not drive an AF lens focus mechanism as fast as an in-the-lens motor found in AF-S lenses.

That's why Nikon is putting focus motors in all their new lenses now and will likely quit putting focus motors in any of their camera bodies which is what Canon did in 1987.

I would! Its a better, stronger, faster camera. The d90 is a mid-range camera, while the d5000 is a beginner.
Better? Yes the D90 is better in some ways.

Stronger? Nope! The D90 is all plastic just like the D5000.

Faster? Nope! Both cameras have a 1/4000 max shutter speed and the FPS rate is also essentially the same.

Nikon has 3 camera levels:
  1. Entry-level - D3000/D5000/D90 (1/4000 shutter, plastic bodies/no weather sealing)
  2. Prosumer level - D300s/D700 (1/8000 shutter, titanium alloy bodies and weather sealing)
  3. Pro - D3s/D3x (built-in vertical grip, titanium bodies and even better weather sealing)

Last edited:
If you already know the differences between the 2 cameras, you should be able to choose it yourself. Other opinions may not matter too much.

Someone may say go with the D90 since it is a better camera. Other may say save the money towards a better lens or other accessories you need.

What matter most is once you know the difference, is it worth the money for YOU to upgrade now? Nobody knows what you want better than yourself.

and it feels better in my hand

That's a big reason to go for the D90. The D90 feels to me like it was made for the size of my hand. The D5000 is too small. Couple that with the D5000 only having one command dial and, for me, the choice was clear. The D5000 swivel screen can be helpfull for some, but I have not really missed it with my style of shooting. The extra buttons on the D90 are very helpful for ease of use (less menu searching).

Don't expect much difference in image quality though as the sensor is the same on both cameras. This is largely an ergonomics question and the D90 is clearly the better choice in that regard. There is also the larger selection of compatable lenses for the D90 to consider due to the body having an an autofocus motor. This might become a factor depending on your present and future lens choices.

Yes.

I had cash in hand for D5000, but when I saw and held the D90 that was next to it in the case, I waited and came back a short time later for the D90.

I say spring for the D300 too but if you cant afford it then yes for the D90. You just need some of us to be your enablers dontcha. :lmao:

I was in the same position, I took it back and got the D90.

No one will offer you full price/refund for your D5000 ever again... if it were me, I would take advantage and upgrade now or never.

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back