Should i upgrade or not

beachpops

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Just got into taking photo's when i retired.I now have a nikon d50 using a tamron 55-200 lenses.My friends granddaughter just posted some pics with her new d3100 and they look great.i was thinking of upgrading to that when i started reading post on here and now i am wondering if i should or not.someone had mentioned i should get a nikon 70-300 vr or tamron 70-300 and keep my d50.So do i upgrade to a d3100 or d90 or d7000.This will most likely be the last camera i get.Also $$ do figured in some.thank you in advance for any input i recieve.

beachpops - what does your d50 lack that you want from a upgrade?

beachpops - what does your d50 lack that you want from a upgrade?

Excellent question! Nine out of ten times better pictures, especially with a similar camera are due to skill, knowledge and experience. NOT to better equipment. Can you post an image or two of yours and tell us what you feel is lacking in them?

The D50 is a slightly better body then the D3100 (AF motor, etc.), but the sensor is pretty old in comparison. The CMOS sensors in the new nikons produce better colors and far better high-iso performance then the CCD sensor found in the D50.

I'm all for having great lenses, but I would guess that the body upgrade in this case would do more for you then the lenses. However, you may want to consider a D90 or D7000 instead--the D3100 is a pretty basic camera.

well ya got have a first one sometime

Thanks i have heard the d90 is a great camera and little cheaper then 7000

it really does not lack much since i shoot only for my own hobby.I just figured the new ones would have new tech stuff.I am 70 years old and the next camera most likely be my last upgrade.thanks

If this is the last hurrah, i'd buy a lens. Something special. A very high quality Nikon or Zeiss prime. 35mm or 85 ..whatever you like to do with a camera. If you don't need fast frames-per-second, extreme ISO or long zoom..that's what i would do.

Most reactions

Back