Simple Simple Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn - you guys suck - I was actually learning from her :(

Yeah, I agree with above. You guys suck. She is doing well with her photography and I thought that critique was about the photo not the appearance of the model (while that does play a role, not as much as you guys accentuate).

I hope that Kim will still post even if it's a different model. She has nice photos and seems like she's getting better quick. I know I could probably learn some from her photos.

I agree this is getting a little ridiculous, but I think the OP is overly-sensitive. She got extremely upset very early on in this thread when several people commented on the makeup. If one is going to ask for C&C, they should be reasonable and expect that not everyone is going to lavish them with praise. Otherwise, don't post. It's an internet forum where anyone can come on and comment, especially when that is what the OP is requesting. And also, I believe commenting on makeup in this instance is perfectly acceptable. They are posed portrait shots. Makeup is often times part of posed portraits, as are other props or backgrounds, all of which contribute to the final photograph, therefore makeup is fair game to comment on. Now would I comment on the makeup on a candid street shot? No, not as a critique for the photographer.

It looks like it took 4 comments about the makeup to make the OP upset. I looked at every comment about the makeup (mine included) before she first got upset, and I didn't see 1 comment that was tactless or unprofessional or rude. Every comment about the makeup was just a critique, and was accompanied by helpful advice/suggestions.

I'll say it again - it is obvious that a lot of people felt the same way about the makeup that the OP put on her daughter. The OP swears it's "just a dab", but her "dab" may be someone else's "gob". There must be some legitimacy to everyone's perceptions, right?

Now, that being said, later on after the OP got so upset, I think people did start "piling on", which is why I replied to the OP's comment to my original reply, and left it at that. I could have kept going but figured why inflame her even more, when we just plain disagree. I think after the OP was obviously distressed about the makeup comments, it wasn't necessary to keep going on. It has been addressed, plenty, move on.

Still though, be prepared to get criticism if you are asking for it. That's the last of the time I'll waste on this thread.

Last edited:
it hasn't just been this thread - it gets brought up in every thread she makes with her daughter - she let it go for quite a while and I being a parent would grow aggitated too about that stuff after a few threads with the same "bashing" per say.

it hasn't just been this thread - it gets brought up in every thread she makes with her daughter - she let it go for quite a while and I being a parent would grow aggitated too about that stuff after a few threads with the same "bashing" per say.

Late to the party, I am. My take is that if the photographic effect was enough for this many people to note an APPARENT over-use of make-up, perhaps the original poster could have asked what can be done to minimize that effect. OR the folks giving feedback could have offered tips on how to tone that effect down as part of their overall critique.

In critiquing the picture, you're critiquing how it looks. If the model looks age-inappropriate, or plastic, or fake, etc... then that is a legitimate part of the critique. This is not "bashing" the model. It is critiquing how the photograph makes the model appear.

There are things that can be done with the camera or in post-processing to tone down those effects. There are even things with the make-up that can be done to tone down the effects.

Some of the initial critiques were valid. The original poster was overly sensitive. Some of the piling on was rude.

I haven't read all of the other threads started by this poster, so I don't have the full history on whether or not there was rudeness in other places that led to her being overly sensitive, but in this thread, she did react rapidly and strongly to what I saw as valid critiques of the PHOTOGRAPH, not of her daughter.

I also agree with the point that someone made earlier in the thread that if this many people have the same negative reaction to an element of the PHOTOGRAPH (not the model), then perhaps exploring other techniques to minimize that affect is in order.

My two cents only. And I'm a beginner and a newbie so I may be blowing a bunch smoke.

Ok. I'll break it down.

I'm probably one of the most sarcastic, asshole, rude guys on this forum. And even I know that in a situation like this, (with daughters and mothers), to keep my mouth shut, because it is a sensitive topic.

Was she overly sensitive? A little.
Were you guys making uncalled, and UNREQUESTED comments? Yes.

Easy as that.

Now kim should still post more pictures, because like others said, she has a great eye, and her pictures are great to learn from.
And you other douches shut up.

:D

For those of you using the cop out "she is overly sensitive" you could not be more wrong. As a general rule I really don't give a sh*t what anyone thinks NORMALLY, but being the tenacious soul that I am, I find it extremely difficult to sit by and watch wrong person after wrong person post unfounded comments in my threads. 50% of the posters in these threads were simply lemmings jumping on the bandwagon, and lost complete sight of what I really needed, GENUINE CRITIQUE. I even did you one better and posted a side by side comparison shot of her right before bedtime, because you know I am such a terrible mother that I put makeup on her before she goes to bed : rolls eyes : and some of you STILL had the audacity to suggest she was made up in this candid shot. I shouldn't have to prove anything in the first place. This is a forum, not a courtroom. When I saw the comments about the presence of makeup in her bedtime shot, I lost all C&C respect for those people, you obviously have no eye for what you are looking at or you need a CT scan because your brain has obviously drawn makeup on my daughter before bedtime.

Thanks to those who have posted positive comments and thank you to those who offer GENUINE CRITIQUES to help me improve my techniques. I can take criticism very well, in fact I ask for it, however, I have a difficult time digesting a moronic comment.

When I saw the comments about the presence of makeup in her bedtime shot, I lost all C&C respect for those people, you obviously have no eye for what you are looking at or you need a CT scan because your brain has obviously drawn makeup on my daughter before bedtime.

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back