Simple Simple Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
You definitely have a gorgeous little girl. She looks so old with all the lip gloss on, if that's what your going for, thats okay. Love the first one... just a tiny bit over exposed in certain areas. Try to leave a little more room at the top of her head so not to cut it off. Second one is really nice. Third is too overexposed for my taste but not bad at all. Good job, keep it up. She's a great little model.

You definitely have a gorgeous little girl. She looks so old with all the lip gloss on, if that's what your going for, thats okay. Love the first one... just a tiny bit over exposed in certain areas. Try to leave a little more room at the top of her head so not to cut it off. Second one is really nice. Third is too overexposed for my taste but not bad at all. Good job, keep it up. She's a great little model.
Thanks so much! Dry lips in photos are a huge pet peeve of mine lol. Clear lipgloss is my best friend hehe Thanks for the comments and advice :D

I think dab's comments are right on the money. Well done, as usual, with just minor niggles. You're very lucky to have a subject who is so easy to work with. I'm curious however (and please don't take this the wrong way) to see what your talents could do with someone else, especially someone is not quite so camera friendly.

The photography is nice, but in my very humble opinion, there is just too much make up, and too much editing. The girl looks plastic, as if she's dressed for an adult role in a play.

The photography is nice, but in my very humble opinion, there is just too much make up, and too much editing. The girl looks plastic, as if she's dressed for an adult role in a play.

I wanted to make a note. I know a few have commented on her makeup and I wanted to clarify what she has on. When I shoot her I always put some mascara on to bring out her lashes, clear lipgloss to avoid a chapped look, and translucent powder to eliminate the potential of facial shine. I like a nice fresh looking face for photos :)

I would also like to add that all I do to my photos is color correction, hue saturation, and brightness and contrast. I will post some candid photos of her that I took with a lessor camera so everyone can see this is what she looks like. She models for an agency in the KC area so yes this is what she looks like.

Last edited:
For what its worth...

1) The makeup is overdone for outdoor portraits, IMO. I would have expected a little more natural look for being outdoors, and at that age. Studio portraits would be a different matter.
2) The white balance is noticably off in #2. The face is red and underexposed. When posting a series of the same subject, it is very important to keep white balance consistent.
3) Posting at 1200 pixels is pretty large. You might try resizing to 800 px or less on the long side.

Pretty model. She's a natural and obviously comfortable with you taking the pictures.

Nice exposures, other than slight overexposure on #1. #2 is my favorite. But agreed about the makeup - the photos have the feel of someone trying to make her look more mature and more beautiful - as has been said it's too much especially since she's just a little girl - it gives to an artificial feel. She's obviously beautiful without the makeup, it's just unnecessary IMO.

She looks so old with all the lip gloss on, if that's what your going for, thats okay.

For what its worth...

1) The makeup is overdone for outdoor portraits, IMO. I would have expected a little more natural look for being outdoors, and at that age. Studio portraits would be a different matter.

But agreed about the makeup - the photos have the feel of someone trying to make her look more mature and more beautiful - as has been said it's too much especially since she's just a little girl - it gives to an artificial feel. She's obviously beautiful without the makeup, it's just unnecessary IMO.

Ok guys seriously, I can't take this anymore. My daughter just has a mature look to her, I hear it all the time, I can't help that. Other than a dab of mascara and some clear lip gloss these photos are just her being gorgeous, she looks like this on an every day basis. If someone wants to critique my photo skills or the subjects photogenic ability that is great, but can we please lay off the "too much makeup" comments because they are simply untrue and I have grown tired of them. Sorry to be snippy, but I know what my daughter looks like, and other than much better lighting, she looks just like this indoors, every day, on the street, with brushed hair and a clean face.

Photo A: Candid shot I just took with unbrushed hair and bad lighting.

Photo B: the same girl with brushed hair, a nice breeze, better lighting, a tripod, some mascara and clear lipgloss:
compare.jpg

I always like your photos of your beautiful little girl!!! They're always really wonderful!

I don't think there is anything wrong putting (read: a little) a little makeup on her...
I'm around little kids all the time at dance recitals... and let me tell you... THAT'S when it's too much... Mascara and lip gloss is nothing. How old is she?
I bet she LOVES getting that little bit done and going out and being a model for her mom. Don't let it get to ya.... It's a real concern these days with so many young girls trying to grow up too fast. It becomes a big BAD situation.

Ok guys seriously, I can't take this anymore.

Well then don't ask for critiques.

Obviously it must look to a lot of people like she has a lot of makeup on, otherwise you wouldn't get so many comments about it.

You're getting upset for people's impressions of your photos after you ask for critiques?

To me she looks like some of those girls you see whose parents enter them into beauty pageants - all done up. It looks like either a lot of makeup or a combination of makeup and too much post processing, either way, too artificial-looking IMO.

Photo A above looks like she still has makeup on, but waaaay less than Photo B and the other shots in this thread. So I'd be curious to see a photo of her with absolutely no makeup whatsoever posted right next to one of these photos in this thread. Maybe that will help put an end to the makeup comments?

I always like your photos of your beautiful little girl!!! They're always really wonderful!

I don't think there is anything wrong putting (read: a little) a little makeup on her...
I'm around little kids all the time at dance recitals... and let me tell you... THAT'S when it's too much... Mascara and lip gloss is nothing. How old is she?
I bet she LOVES getting that little bit done and going out and being a model for her mom. Don't let it get to ya.... It's a real concern these days with so many young girls trying to grow up too fast. It becomes a big BAD situation.

Thank you, YOU seem to get the idea.

Well then don't ask for critiques.

Obviously it must look to a lot of people like she has a lot of makeup on, otherwise you wouldn't get so many comments about it.

You're getting upset for people's impressions of your photos after you ask for critiques?

To me she looks like some of those girls you see whose parents enter them into beauty pageants - all done up. It looks like either a lot of makeup or a combination of makeup and too much post processing, either way, too artificial-looking IMO.

Photo A above looks like she still has makeup on, but waaaay less than Photo B and the other shots in this thread. So I'd be curious to see a photo of her with absolutely no makeup whatsoever posted right next to one of these photos in this thread. Maybe that will help put an end to the makeup comments?

SHE HAS ABSOLUTELY NO MAKEUP ON IN PHOTO A! She was ready for bed so give me a break! That was the whole point of me posting that comparrison. I took that photo right before I posted them together.

And for your information, I ask for C&C on my PHOTOGRAPHIC skills, NOT whether or not my kid has a face full of makeup on. You wanna give me photographic advice please feel free, but I have had it with the issue of makeup or no makeup. I will not keep repeating myself on this issue.

Thanks

Ok guys seriously, I can't take this anymore.

You've asked for the critique, we've provided. When you get a significant majority of responders saying essentially the same thing, it might be time to consider that there's some validity to there comments.
My opinion is that you have two gifts which are in danger of being wasted. They are (1) Your daughter who is both pretty and camera-friendly, and (2) your talent for photography. Most of your pictures, while very good, have a marked sameness to them Why not try a session where she's at the playground with friends, or helping to wash the family car? Something different than the 'daughter as a pretty model'? I don't mean that in an offensive way, but I believe you've taken that discipline about as far as it can go.

As I've said in several recent posts regarding your work, I think you need to branch out. It can't hurt to try, right?

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

You've asked for the critique, we've provided. When you get a significant majority of responders saying essentially the same thing, it might be time to consider that there's some validity to there comments.

There is little to no validity to comments pertaining to my daughter being "all made up" as I have posted candid proof of what my daughter looks like right before bedtime.

My opinion is that you have two gifts which are in danger of being wasted. They are (1) Your daughter who is both pretty and camera-friendly, and (2) your talent for photography. Most of your pictures, while very good, have a marked sameness to them Why not try a session where she's at the playground with friends, or helping to wash the family car? Something different than the 'daughter as a pretty model'? I don't mean that in an offensive way, but I believe you've taken that discipline about as far as it can go.

I am trying to master portraiture as this is what I want to specialize in. I have only had my camera for about 3 weeks and I am more concerned with getting certain techniques right at the moment. I am still learning my camera and am still unsure of what at least half of the settings do. My photos are not intended to charge a debate on the cosmetics or lack there of contained within them on my subject, which so happens to be the only subject readily available to me at this moment. I have been nothing but nice and receptive to critique since I joined this site, but I will not sit here and tolerate people saying my daughter has a face full of makeup or that I am making her look "plastic" with over processing because it is UNTRUE. I will never get defensive over genuine critiques, but, if people have no clue what they are looking at, they need not post a critique or comment as it is counter productive.

As I've said in several recent posts regarding your work, I think you need to branch out. It can't hurt to try, right?

I always value your C&C as you seem full of great advice so please do not consider my reply as an attack. I just wish people would really SEE before they post.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back