Simple Simple Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I find it rather strange that so many people were ready to be so critical in this thread. The model is beautiful. I don't know what social undercurrent is flowing through here ... but I really doubt that all of these comments were made with the intent of making the original poster a better photographer.

Sorry, Kim, it was my instant reaction as well. Not trying to make you mad so much as support what tired is saying here.

My humble suggestion would be ... rather than get angry at a bunch of people for saying something you don't like, to ask yourself what (and if) you could do to minimize the effect. Really, that's what a bit aspect of this site is about... learning what you can do with something to gain a different effect, and then deciding afterwards whether or not you want to do that.

Learning... then maybe applying.

I mean you could simply consider not putting mascara and lip gloss on her. That seems kinda like asking for trouble if you already know she looks mature... unless that's what you want. If it is what you want, then say so, and the comments will change.

BTW, I think your shots and compositions are really great. You're one of the people I always hope to get comments from when I post pictures of people. Perhaps we're only commenting on the apparent gussying-up of your daughter here because we have relatively little else to comment on. :)

I love your pics - and I am learning from them - please keep posting them :)

i like all your photos, having had your camera for a small amount of time i think your doing a good job. though i cant comment on techniques etc cos im a noobie! To me though i dont think she is wearing too much makeup, she just looks like she has healthy skin. Ive seen kids where i live wearing A LOT more makeup than that :)

Good work. Watch your tones with white in the forground..... it can throw off your balance of color and brightness.
Great shots, great subject and great work.

Last edited:
Way too much makeup/touch-up for a girl that age. It looks unnatural.

Dare I ad my 2 cents worth?? LOL!! They really are nice pics of a little girl who is wearing too much make-up. She looks like a lovely creature...without make-up.

P.S. The comments on the make-up are relevant to the photography...as she looks "artificial" as someone else said....not natural, it's loo distracting.

I know you are sick of hearing about the makeup thing but I have to say it's the first thing that caught my eye also.

She may only be wearing clear gloss and mascara but it looks like a lot on her (maybe because her lips are so bright naturally). What about some chapstick and clear mascara or just curling the eyelashes? I think it would look more natural and still give you the same effect.

Way too much makeup/touch-up for a girl that age. It looks unnatural.

Dare I ad my 2 cents worth?? LOL!! They really are nice pics of a little girl who is wearing too much make-up. She looks like a lovely creature...without make-up.

P.S. The comments on the make-up are relevant to the photography...as she looks "artificial" as someone else said....not natural, it's loo distracting.

What was the point of posting this after the heated discussion above other than to add fuel to an already hot fire? Look at the side by side comparison and then please understand that my daughter just looks like that. The reason I am taking such offense to the "she looks fake and plastic" comments is because you are basically saying that she looks fake and plastic and overdone on a daily basis which is very offensive to me. it is no different than when she is eating a piece of candy and has drooly lips so please STOP. I'm not even going to post photos of her here anymore.

Don't let it get to you kim.

ur just being overly sensitive, suck it up. its an online forum! oh no

ur just being overly sensitive, suck it up. its an online forum! oh no
do you have any children? as a mother, i am EXTREMELY sensitive when it comes to my daughter, especially when i am being told she looks "fake and plastic". I have solved the problem, I will not post anymore photos of her here. Easy as that.

Well... another budding talent successfully eliminated from the forum...
And just because her model - her own daughter - wore make-up...
Well... I do hope that all egos are now fullfilled and compleat...
What I saw was good photographic technique... both the art and the craft, coupled with a photogenic model (I'm talking style and presentation rather than whether she is beautiful or not)
Kimberly says she will post no more pics here... She has also privatised her access site...
She has left a message:
"Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots"
Sad outcome...
Jedo

My thoughts precisely, there is a correct manner to administer accurate constructive criticism and then there is the way to be malicious, cruel and to deliberately impose anguish on someone with the words you have selected…..or selected with out proper intellectual prudence……to write in a public forum.

Be professional…….if you encompass the mental capability and maturity to do so……………… and show some tact when reviewing an individual’s photography. If you don’t have experience in photography or don’t like an individuals attempt at photography “Shut-up” don’t enhance your tactless technique to make someone feel awful.

As a former Director of Photography and Photography Editor, I would by no means have told my staff of Combat photographer’s sports shooters or photography apprentices the condescending things I have read here. That type of destructive immature conduct crushes the creative spirit in an individual and promotes self doubt. It also labels the reviewer as a “jerk, a butt hole, a jack a$$, a no-talent a$$ clown, a dick head, a troll…ect.”

Photography is an art, and as such is best experienced through individualism, positive experiences, trial and error and exposures to the hobby or profession, not the condescending, malice ramblings of a few disheartened individuals.

A correct response to Kim 81’s CC request would be:

“Kim, your exposures are good, watch out for too much white in the foreground, (Image #1) it can throw off your color balance.

The color saturation is right as is the image composure.

The focus is sharp and you subject is nice.

The only thing I would watch out for is that color photography, especially digital SLR photography tends to accentuate colors and sheen, and this can be corrected in Photoshop with some time and work. However; to save some trouble and time shoot your model in natural skin tones first so you will have a few captures to look at while in Photoshop to compare.”

Remember, Kim didn’t ask what you thought about the make up…she wanted a proficient CC of her PHOTOGRAPHY technique.

A word to the wise………
Shift a minority of your injured brain cells in your cerebellum around to retain a diminutive quantity of functional information ………….…………………………….”what goes around comes around”……..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back