Skater's Set

AnonymousPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need to buy a good camera for skating. (so fairly durable)
It should work well both Photos and Video for the skating.
So what will be the best Camera to get?

Durable fairly good and what would be a good Lens to go with it?

I need a good DSLR camera & lens and a fish eye

Links or names would be good.

Total budget of around 900-1200

the budget is approximately no more than $1200 for the camera and lens ( including a good fish eye )
then anything for photo/video editing software. (I hope to keep it under $1500 total)

I plan on getting a nice SLR soon. Actually to add on this any photo experts out there?
Could anybody suggest me good outdoor weather sealed SLR?
I'm going to do skate shots so suggest me some lenses as well?

Also could you suggest good photo and video editing software? mainstream ones so each program should be around $70-$200 programs

Last edited:
A little more detail would help! What type of skating? (Ice, roller, board, etc), and which Sydney?

In general, almost any body capable of video (which is almost all of them now) will do just fine; you really need to be thinking more about lenses, and one of the key considerations is how close can you get to the action?

skateboarding. I live in Australia, so it'll be hot, and fairly wet at times. Weather seal would be good.

Going to be tough getting what you want on your budget. Not knowing the prices of used gear in Aus, around here a decent used D300 (first decent body with some weather sealing) goes for ~$9-1100, a 17-50 2.8 about the same and the 10.5 fisheye around $550.

other suggestions? Cheaper suggestions? In Australia these things go way over 2000.

Last edited:
Sony a55. Decent camera and does good video. Price range is pretty decent. I would advise you to invest in a nice wide angle lens for skate footage too. A sigma 10-20mm would be a good choice. Nice image quality and you will get lots of good use out of it.

a55 - body only $549, kit $649
sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 $499

Dont know the aus price.

Sony a55. Decent camera and does good video. Price range is pretty decent. I would advise you to invest in a nice wide angle lens for skate footage too. A sigma 10-20mm would be a good choice. Nice image quality and you will get lots of good use out of it.

Dont know the aus price.
I like where you are going, how much of a improvement is the Canon 60d (will it work well)

I'm basing it off this guy's prices http://www.teds.com.au/ So try to keep the total under $1000, I can spend upwards to 1200 but, I try not to.

Last edited:
the budget is approximately no more than $1200 for the camera and lens ( including a good fish eye )
then anything for photo/video editing software. (I hope to keep it under $1500 total)

I plan on getting a nice SLR soon. Actually to add on this any photo experts out there?
Could anybody suggest me good outdoor weather sealed SLR?
I'm going to do skate shots so suggest me some lenses as well?

Also could you suggest good photo and video editing software? mainstream ones so each program should be around $70-$200 programs

Note this is my second SLR so keep it at beginner level?

I think the issue is this.

Weather seal camera and lens under $1500. (Getting a weather seal camera without a weather seal lens kind of defeat the purpose)

Canon 60D is not weather seal. And most of the lenses are not

Canon 7D is weather seal. As for lens goes, I do not know which one in the Canon line up is weather sealed. Most likely it is going to be in their L series lenses

Dont know the aus price.
I like where you are going, how much of a improvement is the Canon 60d (will it work well)

I'm basing it off this guy's prices Digital Cameras and Camera Accessories | Video Cameras | Teds Cameras Australia - Ted's Cameras So try to keep the total under $1000, I can spend upwards to 1200 but, I try not to.

The 60d is okay but the a55 has the same sensor as the nikon d7000 but costs $500 less then that and $250 less then the going price for the 60d. I mostly recommend the a55 because you said that video is important to you. The a55 body and a wide angle would only put $50 over budget. Ive never met a serious photog that didnt exceed their own set budget when making upgrades. But this would still be $50 under your max budget of $1200 if you bought the kit.

Final cut pro is the standard. Its not cheap but its the best way to go. Mac only as far as I know still.

I'm a PC not mac
Avid and what else?
and the lens doesn't need to be weather sealed just any camera + lens that would survive a rainy day out.

Then maybe just get a rain coat/sleeve for the camera instead.

Most reactions

Back