Skin at golden hour

gerardo2068

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I try to take photos at the golden hour but the skin always come orange, if I white balance for the skin the rest of the photo comes out too cold, even in the face some areas come out good but I always get this ugly orange highlights, I shoot in RAW, using Lightroom to import. Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Just move the RAW slider in LR until you find a happy medium? The skin is supposed to look a little bit on the orange side when you shoot at golden hour. The the skin is a neutral white balance and the scene is warmer it will look like the person was photoshopped in, or like you used fill flash without a gel on it.

To my understanding, when you shoot RAW white balance don't get saved in the file?. Looking online I think I'm gonna get a reflect/diffuser and warm gel for the flash?

To my understanding, when you shoot RAW white balance don't get saved in the file?. Looking online I think I'm gonna get a reflect/diffuser and warm gel for the flash?

When you shoot raw the range of all white balances on your camera are recorded, and you can change the white balance in post without affecting image quality or colors. It's the same thing as changing the white balance in camera, except you're doing it on a computer.

You should still do everything in your power to get it right in camera, to save time and make your life easier, however you can easily change it in post if you shoot raw without any negative consequences.

Just move the RAW slider in LR until you find a happy medium? The skin is supposed to look a little bit on the orange side when you shoot at golden hour. The the skin is a neutral white balance and the scene is warmer it will look like the person was photoshopped in, or like you used fill flash without a gel on it.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what's the RAW slider in LR? i'm still learning processing but i've never seen this in LR3 before

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what's the RAW slider in LR? i'm still learning processing but i've never seen this in LR3 before

I think he meant White Balance slider, I don't think there's a RAW slider. I could be wrong, I'm a starter too

The Custom WB would be come your As-Shot in Lightroom.
When you say you are WB for the skin in LR what are you using as the Target? If you choose the skin that wouldn't be a good idea since the primary color in Caucasian skin is Red/Yellow is would make for a cool scene. Also using teh Daylight reset is not good because Golden Hour sun is closer to 3000K Not 5500K.

If you can either do a custom white balance or find a neutral gray as your target that would get you the best balance.

That said, I really don't like when people shoot at golden hour and then suck the color out that you waited all day for. White isn't white at golden hour. But you do need to find a happy medium for Skin Tones.

If you shoot with a CTO gel, unless you set the WB to Tungsten you will end up with an even more orange subject. Tungsten will cool the background and then neutralize the flash gel

Also note that if you are shooting a Flash On Camera, The camera WB's for the flash in the mix. Off camera it doesn't

I think he meant White Balance slider, I don't think there's a RAW slider. I could be wrong, I'm a starter too

You are correct. That was a typo. Was meant to say white balance, but I was typing faster than I was thinking.

Most reactions

Back