SmugMug or Flicker... What are u using?

I am very pleased with my SmugMug account. I like the setup compared to pBase and Flickr. I really didn't care much for the free Flickr or Photobucket accounts. Another particular thing about Photobucket that I didn't like is that the site itself gets blocked often. At my work, Photobucket is a blocked site. It is also blocked at a couple of my friends' workplaces as well; the reason I am not sure. SmugMug has a nice incentive program. I've already gotten a free yearly membership just by referring a few people to join SmugMug.

Another thing I like about SmugMug is that I can upload photos through email. I am not sure if I can do this with photobucket or flickr. As a photographer, there are many times that I find myself needing a camera but not having my dSLR available. I often take snapshots with my cellphone then email them to my SmugMug account.

Although it isn't nowhere near Photoshop, SmugMug also offers access to a basic online photo processing software called Picnik.

I am very pleased with my SmugMug account. I like the setup compared to pBase and Flickr. I really didn't care much for the free Flickr or Photobucket accounts. Another particular thing about Photobucket that I didn't like is that the site itself gets blocked often. At my work, Photobucket is a blocked site. It is also blocked at a couple of my friends' workplaces as well; the reason I am not sure. SmugMug has a nice incentive program. I've already gotten a free yearly membership just by referring a few people to join SmugMug.

Another thing I like about SmugMug is that I can upload photos through email. I am not sure if I can do this with photobucket or flickr. As a photographer, there are many times that I find myself needing a camera but not having my dSLR available. I often take snapshots with my cellphone then email them to my SmugMug account.

Although it isn't nowhere near Photoshop, SmugMug also offers access to a basic online photo processing software called Picnik.
right on, i just signed up and uploaded a gallery. look me up member sandshots.

right on, i just signed up and uploaded a gallery. look me up member sandshots.

Like whoa! That is a killer ATV. Being in San Diego, I've never seen one so clean before. XD I wish the chain on my R6 was as clean as yours =)

i have a couple flickr sites, but my whole photo collection is in a hidden folder on the domain i host my freelance site on...i use jalbum for ease and it looks ok for family to check out the pics.

im not sure EXACTLY what the terms are, but with picassa being a google product, do be careful and read ALL of the terms and conditions...again, not sure what the deal is, but based on google's chrome terms and conditions it seems google likes to own anything and everything they can.

and if youre using chrome...also be careful...the terms and conditions CLEARLY state wayyyyyy down the page, that ANYTHING uploaded to the web using chrome instantly becomes property of google...whether it be pictures, videos, text...once posted, they own your blog, your pics..everything...EVEN IF you upload to flickr or other sites with copyright options....at least that was my understanding.

i have a couple flickr sites, but my whole photo collection is in a hidden folder on the domain i host my freelance site on...i use jalbum for ease and it looks ok for family to check out the pics.

im not sure EXACTLY what the terms are, but with picassa being a google product, do be careful and read ALL of the terms and conditions...again, not sure what the deal is, but based on google's chrome terms and conditions it seems google likes to own anything and everything they can.

and if youre using chrome...also be careful...the terms and conditions CLEARLY state wayyyyyy down the page, that ANYTHING uploaded to the web using chrome instantly becomes property of google...whether it be pictures, videos, text...once posted, they own your blog, your pics..everything...EVEN IF you upload to flickr or other sites with copyright options....at least that was my understanding.

ooohhh boy. I have to go read the T&C now. I use both Picasa and Flickr.

i have a smugmug account, and LOVE it. keep in mind that there is a coupon code that knocks the first years membership down to 75.00.

the pro account on smugmug is what gives you commerce options (selling photos, setting prices, etc), i think the other membership levels are just hosting with some small perks, but no commerce.

I have flickr, but its more to display and be social within the photography world. I use smugmug to sell. It is also a lot cleaner looking site for potential clients. With the pro account on smugmug, you can use a custom website address, and fully customize how your customers see your page.

two very different services..just depends on what you need.

by the way thanks for the coupon.

i have a smugmug account, and LOVE it. keep in mind that there is a coupon code that knocks the first years membership down to 75.00.

the pro account on smugmug is what gives you commerce options (selling photos, setting prices, etc), i think the other membership levels are just hosting with some small perks, but no commerce.

I have flickr, but its more to display and be social within the photography world. I use smugmug to sell. It is also a lot cleaner looking site for potential clients. With the pro account on smugmug, you can use a custom website address, and fully customize how your customers see your page.

two very different services..just depends on what you need.

OK what is the cupon to knock it down to 75$, how to I find this out?

Flickr is 25 bucks a year. And you can most definitely order prints through it. However Flickr is a social community first, web hosting second.

It is? o_O

News to me.. it's definatly photo hosting first.. with a community aspect but not it's primary role by any means.

I love Flickr, it's seemless and easy ability to direct link images is excellent. The way you even have choices of size to direct link is also very very good.

one of the other reasons I use smugmug is because I got my pro account for FREE.. for life...

And if I may ask Chris, How did you accomplish this? I've been looking hard at Smugmug, and may get an account within the next month.

Thanks

And if I may ask Chris, How did you accomplish this? I've been looking hard at Smugmug, and may get an account within the next month.

Thanks

2 years ago they were offering pro accounts for free to non-profit organizations.. i signed up and totally forgot about it.. then this year, i was looking for a site to host and sell client images, and someone mentioned smug mug, so i check it out.. and thought "this site looks really familar, so I punched in my usual log in stuff, and sure enough, it worked..

I use Smugmug. Parker Photography - Tony Parker- powered by SmugMug

I don't get how people just throw random prices out there. Or use a service provided by a place and not really know much about it.

With smugmug there are 3 types of accounts, You have Standard ($39.95), Power ($59.95), and Pro ($149.95).

You can check out here on what all is available with each.

Unlimited photo storage- powered by SmugMug

Cliff notes though
Standard - unlimited storage, themes, set up passwords, Prints from prosumer print lab EZ Prints

Power - Same as standard, Customization, DVD quality video, Right Click Protect,

Pro - Same as power, HD Video, Custom watermarks, Set your own prices, Pro print lab Bay Photo

*edit*
If you found this info useful, and plan to make a Smugmug account.. I also have a discount code for $5.. Its.. f6Yg2M3XHzlSc

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back