So, I am out shooting yesterday and this guy approache me...

I got approached by a guy from out of town when I was shooting the Saints Celebration Parade and asked if I would send him some of them by email after he saw some of my shots. I took it as a compliment and took his email down. I haven't sent them to him yet, but this thread reminded me too. lol.

I'd take it as a compliment at first, but after I get better, I dunno if I'd send out all my shots for free :p

Maybe it was his attitude, but he rubbed me as being somewhat selfish.

Part of my every day career the last 8-9 years has been dealing with people asking me for my knowledge...and some of them want it for free, thinking that what I have strived for in the last 25 years was meaningless. They did not see the hours and effort I worked at for all of those years.

Seems appropriate-

WTD109SUN.gif

I was leaving a community festival last summer and saw a grandpa trying to photograph his grand-daughter. He was using his camera phone and she was on a trampoline! I shot a quick dozen pics from directly behind him and showed them to him. I KNOW...people think "Pedo"! I showed him my driver's license and another picture ID from my real job. I then offered to send him the pictures or delete them then and there...his choice. I explained I am learning my camera and have no need for the pics once I critique them. But they MAY be nice for him to have if his camera phone pics don't work out. I have business cards made to explain this and a secondary e-mail address where people can contact me. I get no information from them at all. 4 days later he e-mailed me and I sent him the original unedited pics with a thank you note for "allowing me the opportunity to learn". He is very grateful and loves the pics! I really only had 1 pic that I was happy with but "one man's trash is another man's treasure"?! Why do I get so nervous about "street photography"? And I use that term very very loosely.

Part of my every day career the last 8-9 years has been dealing with people asking me for my knowledge...and some of them want it for free, thinking that what I have strived for in the last 25 years was meaningless. They did not see the hours and effort I worked at for all of those years.

I have mixed feelings on the circumstances of the situation & think I would have to be there to make the call.

I too spent a career acquiring knowledge & retired to start making more money as a consultant & did well for 10 years & now give it away. I suppose ones attitude is tempered by where one is in the life cycle.

I was leaving a community festival last summer and saw a grandpa trying to photograph his grand-daughter. He was using his camera phone and she was on a trampoline! I shot a quick dozen pics from directly behind him and showed them to him. I KNOW...people think "Pedo"! I showed him my driver's license and another picture ID from my real job. I then offered to send him the pictures or delete them then and there...his choice. I explained I am learning my camera and have no need for the pics once I critique them. But they MAY be nice for him to have if his camera phone pics don't work out. I have business cards made to explain this and a secondary e-mail address where people can contact me. I get no information from them at all. 4 days later he e-mailed me and I sent him the original unedited pics with a thank you note for "allowing me the opportunity to learn". He is very grateful and loves the pics! I really only had 1 pic that I was happy with but "one man's trash is another man's treasure"?! Why do I get so nervous about "street photography"? And I use that term very very loosely.
creeper :lmao::p

I walked down to the river yesterday to take some shots. I could not drive the snow cleanup is still in progress and there is no place to park. (3 hours of walking there and back)

I am trying to shoot the river, my glasses are all screwed up because they are transition type and the lighting was very difficult for me to figure out. See all the fun we have???

This guy approachs me, my tripod set up and my telephoto lens.
He asks me if I am a pro, and I tell him no.
Then he asks me if I would put a disk together of my shots and send it to him.
I was sort of shocked and a little pissed off.

Have any of you guys experienced this?

Why get pissed off. Take it with humour and a grain of salt and tell him your rates for a disk and that you will send him the invoice first. Once that is paid, you will send him the disk.

skieur

Personally, I would have been a little put off and offended, while I am no pro, I do sell some of my photos, I would not give them away unless it was friends or family. I probably would have told him, I am not a Pro, but I do not just give away my photos, If you would like to buy some prints I would be glad to make you a deal.

While I never had that happen before, I have encountered some annoying people. At a basketball shoot there was some mom with her new rebel XT and she asked me to help her with her camera. She said it takes a couple seconds for the picture to click (her words not mine). So I was looking at the menu's not knowing what the heck I'm looking at because I never even touched a canon, besides the ones that don't work at WalMart. So I figure out that here timer was on, so I turned it off. Well then she decided to sit on the basketball court right next to me and keept on asking if I got the shots she was getting.

I guess it dosent seem like a big deal but when I'm trying to work its like come on! But next time Ill just format her card, and then turn the timer off.

I don't understand at all you should have interegated the guy I would have. Why would someone just ask for your work like :
1. kinda creepy
2. rude
3. Why? Why? Why?

If it were a friend or someone I knew a little and they knew my work and they explained why they wanted it, maybe. Don't ever just give it away what if he were to get away with plagarism on your photo. IDK what to call that.

This seems to have been a potential opportunity missed, methinks. After exchanging mutual contact information and passing on some rudimentary price points, take the best shots you can and try to sell, sell, sell. Bow out your chest and tell him you feel confident that you will have some keepers, but..... "we'll see" with a since of humility. Why would you be pissed off? Take it as a compliment and motivator to do your best work. It's better than a stick in the eye. :confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back