Someone burst my bubble today

I'm going to be overly simplistic here, there are photographers and then there are gear geeks. When photographers with a respect for the craft talk to one another the discussions don't linger on the gear other than 'hey, I have one of those. How do you like it? I find I have a bit of a problem when I try this .... function. Got any ideas on what's going on?' They don't denigrate another's choice of equipment.

Interesting discussions worth engaging in will deal with technique, successes and failures, marketing, business development and management, ... etc

Next time some 'photographer' denigrates your choice of gear just go 'whatever' and walk away while commenting on the last crop of potatoes in Main.

So true!!!! Thank you!

Ok here goes the link..... (but remember, please be gentle....not only did my child begrugdingly go out with me to take this "senior shot"....it was my first ever "senior shot"...okay, enough I know!! I'm so nervous, here it is in it's raw form...

Last edited:
Not too bad. His hair is a little over exposed, but I guess that's bound to happen with blonds...

I think the composition could use a little work... I personally would have put him more on the right side of the frame. Actually, if it were me - I probably would have shot it in portrait orientation.

What I would have done:
Take a step or two to the left to get that tree completely out of the frame, and compose in portrait orientation. Maybe take a knee so that he appears bigger/taller and get rid of the blown out grass at the same time.

I have a Nikon D60 and done a wedding with it. The customers loved there pictures so much they are coming back all the time wanting just because pictures. Its not only what you have its how you use it and what you use it for. If your happy and you listen and give your customer what they want thats all that matters is theyre happy right?

People who feel threatened often choose to lash out by denigrating whomever they feel threatened by. Where I am, there is a glut of photographers (always seems to happen in a recession, everyone with a camera fancy's themselves a photographer and hangs a shingle) and the competition is fierce. Photographers who were friendly a year or two ago are rude and sometimes just plain mean if you're not the client.

I went to a friend's wedding with my equipment just to shoot pics from my seat. I had no plans to wander around and act like I was the hired photographer, because I wasn't. But the instant the hired photographer saw my equipment, he read me the riot act about how amateurs should stay out of his way because I'll ruin the bride's wedding. He didn't say Hello first, he didn't ask me anything, he just immediately attacked me.

Suffice to say that when I told the groom (one of my best friends) what happened, the photographer was fired. Fortunately, I know some good wedding photographers and was able to get one to come shoot the wedding last minute.

Legendary photographs have been taken with cameras far less sophisticated than today’s basic point and shoot. It’s not so much the tool but the talent -- your talent.

It is YOU that will make you a great photographer, not your gear. The angle you choose, the subjects you choose, the moment you capture and so forth is not about gear, it's about the artist -- and that's you. No one ever got a Pulitzer for their gear. No editor ever said: "Jesus, did you see the super camera the guy took this picture with! We gotta buy this!"

I turn blue in the face (hard for a black guy) trying to explain this to young photographers but they remained convinced they need the latest and greatest nuclear DSLR to become a great photographer. I don’t even bother with those conversations anymore.

Last edited:
i agree with everyone else its really not the equipment its the photographers eye but equipment does make difference. You have to decide what kind of shots your camera can handle and continue from there. post some of your pictures =)

The first 2 weddings I shot were with a D60. The way I see it (as does everyone else on this thread) is that if you are comfortable with your gear, know your gear inside and out- it doesn't matter if you are shooting with a D3s or a D40. I mean, the more $$ the camera, the better it handles things.

As long as you are out of AUTO mode, then you can capture awesome images.

Ok here goes the link..... (but remember, please be gentle....not only did my child begrugdingly go out with me to take this "senior shot"....it was my first ever "senior shot"...okay, enough I know!! I'm so nervous, here it is in it's raw form...

Flickr: GameDayProduction.com's Photostream

Nice pic. Good composition and nice control over DOF. As O|||||||O points out, it would be nice to maintain some detail in the hair.

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

Good point about the hair. I was shooting in manual. His hair is so tricky and the least bit of sun hits it and it's a complete whiteout. He actually has lots of texture and curls to that hair (he needs a haircut, usually has a crew cut) but I agree would be nice to see it.

About the other photographer, you all are right. Oh well, what's that saying? C'est la vie!!! And you know what I'm going to start looking up some more lenses and see which kind I need to get. For portraits like this what do you all use. I shot that with a a 55-250. I'm thinking I need a 70-200?? Any advice on that or maybe I will start a new post about a lens choice.

Many thanks again for all your thoughts!! ;)

For portraits like this what do you all use. [...] I'm thinking I need a 70-200??
For portraits, my 70-200 and my 85 1.8 are pretty much my go-to lenses.

They're both great lenses. You can't really go wrong with either.

The 70-200 L's ... I have the f/4, non-IS version - from everything I've seen they are all pretty much equal, optically. Pretty sure the 70-200 f/4 L is the cheapest L lens offered. And it is worthy of the 'L' designation.

The 85 1.8 is also 'L-like' quality.

I went to a friend's wedding with my equipment just to shoot pics from my seat. I had no plans to wander around and act like I was the hired photographer, because I wasn't. But the instant the hired photographer saw my equipment, he read me the riot act about how amateurs should stay out of his way because I'll ruin the bride's wedding. He didn't say Hello first, he didn't ask me anything, he just immediately attacked me.

I would have followed that photographer around taking pictures of him, but I love taking things completely over the top.:lol:

I had a gear buff do that to me once too. I decided to play dumb and started asking him tons of questions....What does the a s p m on this dial mean? what are the numbers for? why won't the camera focus? How much do you think I can sell these pictures for? I followed him around for 3 hours just bombarding him with dumb questions.

Did I look like an idiot.....ya.......Was it worth it........Hell ya

Most reactions

New Topics

Back