Sony Nex 5

I've tried out a Nex-3 and it was pretty slick. Definitely feels good in the hands and takes nice shots, menus are annoying but it seems one could get proficient at whipping through the right options.

What's the big diff between the Nex-3 and Nex-5?

video and the nex 5 has a smaller metal body. Other than that they're the same camera.

I like that they take other lens mounts with adapters, but they will only manual focus. Is it possible to get pin point focusing accuracy using lcd screens?

Whoa man you guys take great pics with NEX-5. I'm very impressed with you folks, and started feeling positive toward the NEX-5. Nice to know NEX-5 is capable of doing these with the appropriate lenses. For the pics, you guys used the big non-Sony lenses with an adapter. Then no matter how small the NEX-5 is, the big lens would add bulk to the NEX-5 when being carried around. I know it's still smaller than the SLRs, but still. How good is the kit lens 16mm f/2.8, or the kit zoom (not the 18-200mm zoom)? I'm looking for something portable for my wife for daily use but wants to step up from P&S Canon SD1000. Mainly shooting ever moving dogs with low light at night indoors. What gives?

I think it depends on who you are and what your needs are. If you are a pro, who loves or needs to have total control and freedom, then this is probably not for you. If you want a great sensor, small size, a bridge between P&S and DSLR (like me), its a great little cam.

I just bought a NEX-5 with the 16mm and 18-55mm lenses.
I took months deciding between this and the panasonic G1 and the Canon G12.

For a long time I was going to get the panasonic but then a Sony user persuaded me to buy the Sony.

For me, getting used to the menu system is only like being used to a Canon SLR and then picking up a Nikon... some things are annoying, but you get used to them!

As someone mentioned before, changing the ISO is a bit of a menu navigation... 7 clicks not 20something as exaggerated before!

If you want to shoot in manual, the dial is quite intuitive to use just like on an SLR but it easy to inadvertently press the dial while trying to spin it which can be annoying.

There are some really neat things on this camera... the continuous shoot panorama mode is cool and the low light mode that takes several shots is good for scenes with no motion and also works pretty well. This is the first time I've used auto modes and I view them this way... if you had a completely manual camera that could save settings then the SCN options would probably be some of the settings you might save... you could argue that every shot is different so needs to be set everytime, but some of the auto SCN settings take nice photos IMO.

There is a manual focus mode where the camera zooms in to the frame to help you focus... this is great if it zooms in to what you want to focus on, but if it doesn't then you have to scroll the view to where you want to focus all whilst holding the shutter button halfway which is fiddly.

I guess this camera is not going to be perfect for everyone, but I didn't want the full on bulk of a DSLR, I did want some gadgety features and a cool looking camera. I think i would have been happy with either the Sony or panasonic and I'm trying not to look back and am enjoying playing with the Sony!

If you upgrade the firmware, the usability greatly improves. I really enjoy the NEX-3 over my Olympus PEN EP-1. You can program the buttons to the most used custom function(s) making it very intuitive and easy to use. I just can't get the panorama thing to work for me consistently.

I have the latest upgrade (I think - V2) but i can't see how to program buttons... is there any online resource that explains how?

Thanks

I have the latest upgrade (I think - V2) but i can't see how to program buttons... is there any online resource that explains how?

Thanks

V3 was the latest firmware...

I came very close to buying a NEX-5. I love the size and it really handled well. I ended up with an A55 and am very happy I did but I'd still like to get a NEX-5 one day.

I have had the Sony Nex-5 for about 8 months now and love it.
I was a little disappointed with the lack of available lenses, but I now have the 18-200mm lens and life is much better. OK so the lens is expensive, but you get what you pay for. The quality of the photos is second to none.
Being unable to carry loads of equipment I find that this little camera (though not so small with the 18-200 lens attached) does everything I want with stunning results.
I prefer to set the camera manually and it's great that this little camera enables me to do that and of course it has the ability to photograph in RAW. I seldom use anything else.

PS great shots Awslee :thumbup:

hello ppl, im new here, is there anybody who can help me out with ma nex 5? i got this camera from ma brother from japan, and ma problem is that i cant change lenguage on this camera :S i've tried everything i know, update firmware, try to find through some tutorials lenguage selctio but when i find it there is only japanese :S pls help me with this if anybody know what to do...

Most reactions

Back