Not open for further replies.

zeppelin390

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wingsimaging.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I certainly hope this offends nobody, but there is not quite more I enjoy doing than getting really high and heading out with my camera. I don't smoke pot to escape any sort of reality, but more to bring reality into better view, at least for myself. I think I'm able to "see" what's around me better and to be able to appreciate it for what it is and see more of a photograph in it, instead of walking by looking for the obvious, easy picture.
By no means am I a pot-head. I am a productive member of society that has responsibilities and handles them well; I just happen to enjoy, and appreciate, the effects of marijuana when a flame is taken to it and the smoke is inhaled into my lungs.....Anybody else?

I certainly hope this offends nobody, but there is not quite more I enjoy doing than getting really high and...
By no means am I a pot-head.
Apparently you are young. The two quoted comments are mutually exclusive. With maturity you will probably learn to not spout such gibberish. There is an old song that says [Is you is or is you ain't (my baby)]. I speak from decades of experience and now could care less which side someone falls on. You either take one side of the argument or the other, but not both. This is not a case of having your cake and eating it to. Brownies, on the other hand, is a different matter.

...there is not quite more I enjoy doing than getting really high and heading out with my camera.

By no means am I a pot-head.
Don't delude yourself. That is the very definition of "pot head." I know what a pot head is. I was one for many years. Not for over 30 years now, but your description doesn't escape me.

Don't get me wrong, I ain't saying your wrong for enjoying it. I'm saying you're wrong about being a pot head. You know you are.

My first foray into photography was under the influence of weed. I did okay. People enjoyed my work and I had fun. There came a time I had to stop smoking pot (and stop drinking and doing all the other drugs I was caught up in). I haven't used any mind altering chemicals in over 30 years. About a year ago I got serious about photography and I really think I enjoy it more now than I did back then. I even had the "Pot Shots" spread in the March 2015 issue of High Times magazine and don't think I could have done that if I was still gettin' loaded. That same photo got me a Second Place ribbon at the County Fair earlier this month, along with 12 other photos that won ribbons, which I also don't think I could have accomplished as a pot head today.

I'm very happy to be sober today. I still like the look and smell of growing Cannabis, but also know it stunted my creativity in so many ways. That may not be your truth, but it is mine. There have been many great artists that smoke weed. It's a rarity though. The great majority of pot head artists turn out to be just pot heads with a little talent.

Share some of your photos. Be the photographer here on TPF. Be a pot head on one of the many Cannabis forums.

Jim

. I am a productive member of society that has responsibilities and handles them well.

You clearly don't have that important of responsibilities. Fact.

really?
whats the difference between someone smoking a little weed and someone drinking a little alcohol?
we have plenty of pics of various beers and wines on the site, but i haven't seen people jump on them calling them alcoholics yet, so why cast negative implications on someone that says they enjoy smoking pot?
having partaken of both in my time, I can say with some degree of certainty, that alcohol is far more impairing than weed.
anyway...politics arent allowed here, so lets not go crazy with any "this" -vs- "that" debates. Keep it above the belt please.

from a medical standpoint, I feel obligated to mention that any smoke inhaled into the lungs is carcinogenic and can lead to cancer as well as COPD and decreased lung capacity....even if done infrequently.

Wow look at all the hate. I've been sober myself for just under 3 years, from everything but my main problem was opiates, but I'm certainly not going to hate on somebody smoking weed. Maybe this isn't the right forum for discussing it, but I know plenty of people that are contributing members of society that smoke all the time. I really don't find it to be a big deal at all, I'm honestly surprised you received such negative reactions here, again maybe this isn't the right forum for it but immediately saying the OP is essentially a loser cause he smokes?

Should this be in Off Topic? Unless we are limiting the scope of the discussion specifically to taking pictures while high, then it seems this doesn't really have anything to do with photography.

I agree with pixmedic - getting high occasionally isn't really that different than getting drunk occasionally.

However...with alcohol, you can have a glass of wine with dinner or an after-work beer and not get drunk. Depending on who you are, you might not feel any mind-altering effect at all, but it still relaxes you. With pot, you're either high or not. Of course there are degrees, but who lights up a joint without the intention of getting high? If I have a glass of wine and don't get a buzz, I don't think "This wine is crap!" But if I smoke a joint and don't get high, then I certainly complain about the poor quality of the pot. The purpose of using pot, moreso than the purpose of drinking alcohol, is to noticeably (and often significantly) alter the state of mind.

(Edit: I am aware of the use of medicinal marijuana of course, and that is a separate discussion. I'm talking only about recreational use.)

Also, if someone posted that they like to get "really drunk" and head out for some photography, then yeah, we might question that person about whether or not he or she was an alcoholic. Because there's also a difference between someone who drinks and someone who drinks specifically to get really drunk. Most people go through a phase of wanting to go out and get drunk and then most people grow out of that. They might still drink and they might even sometimes like a little buzz, but that's still different than binge drinking because they find an activity to be more enjoyable when they are plastered.

I don't see any "hate" being directed at the OP, but just some hard reality. For me, the trigger wasn't "really high" but the "not quite more that I enjoy." Getting high is more enjoyable than almost anything else in your life? This is a red flag. (And yes, I'd say that if the discussion were about alcohol.) Maybe it's a phase, or maybe it's how you want to live your life. Whatever it is, I'm not judging you, but just noting that this habit may be more of a crutch or an escape from reality than you are admitting to yourself.

@zeppelin390, post some pictures you took while high. It'll keep everyone on topic. ;)

@zeppelin390, post some pictures you took while high. It'll keep everyone on topic. ;)

now theres a great idea!

lets try an on-topic experiment zep.
post some pre and post spliff shots and we can compare the effects of marijuana on your photography.
could be interesting!

I can understand mixed emotions about pot; as it has gotten quite a bad rap over the years. The states in which pot is becoming legal is growing, and growing even more in states where it has become decriminalized, including the capital of our nation.
For many years I have had anxiety effect my life in such a negative manner, that is until I smoked pot. I have been on a variety of stress and anxiety medications and have since weened off of them, with the assistance of my doctor; with whom I have been completely honest with about my pot-smoking and have her blessing. Medical marijuana is a real thing, not an excuse; I invite you to ask any pot-smoking vet with PTSD, or any young child with epilepsy whose parents have to move to a pot-legal state so their childs seizures can be reduced.
I would like to speak with other individuals that have benefited from pot smoking and photography, and not sit here and defend myself with off-topic conversations. For those, I suggest starting your own thread.

[/QUOTE said:
Share some of your photos. Be the photographer here on TPF. Be a pot head on one of the many Cannabis forums.

Jim
fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/

noun
1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Photographic Discussions
Post New Thread
A place to discuss what photography means to you: your influences, ethical challenges, abstract ideas, and other non-technical matters about photography and photographers.

Pot is so wrong!

Now excuse me while I have my 5th coffee. Tonight I'll wash down a few Xanax with some scotch.

PHOTOGRAPHY fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/

noun
1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on photography can be exchanged.
Fixed that for you.
you fixed it to suit your needs......and it's off-topic. As a supporting member and staff member, I would expect more from you. As stated above, please start a new thread that does not have anything to do with my topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back