Sports lens recommendations

kgirl16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone! I wanted to know if you have any suggestions on what type of sport lens/zoom lens I should get. I've been in photography for a year now an I'm still new to the lenses, so could you help me out?

Budget? Body? Indoors/Outdoors? Current lenses?

I'm just going to assume you're talking about sports in a very general sense. A quick Google search will tell you a lot of what we here will also tell you. Things you'll want to keep in mind are focal distance and aperture. If you're shooting sports at night you will want a much faster lens (lower f-stop). This also helps with isolating your subject to get a blurry background that all those pro shots have. And get close. If you can, shoot from the sidelines - looks much better than shooting from the bleachers. A wide focal range will help with this. A 55-200mm is surprisingly cheap (small aperture version) and will be a good lens to start off with sports.

Good luck!

Sorry I did not mention that first. I don't have a certain budget I just need some suggestions. I have a Nikon D5100, the current lenses I have right now are a 18-55mm and a 55-22mm lens. And both indoor and outdoor sports. Thanks.

Nikon 70-300VR = $350 refurbished or $580 new
Nikon 70-200 f/4 = $1400 new
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 = $1400 used
Nikon 70-200 f/2.9 VRII = $2400 new

In that order... :)

[*edit*].. You want a fast auto focusing lens for sports.. the Nikon 55-200 and 55-300 are horribly slow to focus. No bueno for sports.. The 70-300VR (has to be the VR) is a great lens at a great price refurbished ($350!!). Its almost as fast focusing as Nikons 'Pro' 70-200 f.2,8 VRII. Its an awesome lens in the sun... its weakness is clouds and dark... that's when you have to spend $1k more to get an improvement.

Last edited:
Nikon 70-300VR = $350 refurbished or $580 new
Nikon 70-200 f/4 = $1400 new
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 = $1400 used
Nikon 70-200 f/2.9 VRII = $2400 new

In that order... :)

[*edit*].. You want a fast auto focusing lens for sports.. the Nikon 55-200 and 55-300 are horribly slow to focus. No bueno for sports.. The 70-300VR (has to be the VR) is a great lens at a great price refurbished ($350!!). Its almost as fast focusing as Nikons 'Pro' 70-200 f.2,8 VRII. Its an awesome lens in the sun... its weakness is clouds and dark... that's when you have to spend $1k more to get an improvement.

Is the 70-200 F4 any good?

Anyhow, I was going to suggest something similar, the 70-300mm VR if you're on a super tight budget, the 70-200mm 2.8 VR I if you have a more relazed budget, and the 70-200mm 2.8 VR II if you have no budget.

The AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR is a very good lens, yes.

You basically lose one stop of light and the weathersealing, and the original tripod mount is a separate and expensive item that I skipped.

The autofocus is said to be about the same, the sharpness apparently is even a hint better, but the bokeh reportedly is not as good.

Its also a lot less expensive and a lot more lightweight - the later allows besides to use the original tripod mount of the camera.

Purely from its optics, this is currently my favorite in my personal trinity of Nikon FX lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back