Stared with Canon EOS

Next step up from what?

Next step up from what?
Next step up from the ol' starter DSLR camera...Canon eos t3i.
"EOS" is the whole system, not just the T3i. That's why I asked...

What lenses do you have now? And what about the T3i are you finding unsatisfactory?

If you want my honest opinion, I'm getting tired of being called a fake or feaux photographer because I have an "EOS." Won't mention where that came from...no offense. (Also been made fun of for my old graveyard facination, LOL) I personally love my camera and think it is user to be honest. Right now I only have the 18-55mm and the 75-300 zoom.

The next step up from a Canon EOS would be a Nikon.:lol:

But seriously. The next REAL step up would probably be the Canon 7D. Instead of a new camera, I think you should look into better and more-versatile lenses. Canon has a nifty new 15-85mm lens--that's a pretty sweet set of focal length range in one lens...I mean...sheesh...a 15mm wide end? And an 85mm long end? Paired with a good flash, like the Canon 580 EX-II, I would feel capable using the T3i for a LOT of different types of shoots. I really would. GOod zoom lenses cost serious money, but they bring with them EXTREME flexibility, and eliminate the need to switch lenses, carry other lenses, or to decide what lens to use; a good all-in-one type of zoom lens and a pro-grade flash unit like the 580 EX-II mean you can concentrate on getting the SHOTS, and not farting around with extra stuff.

For the beginning photographer, or for the on-the-go type shooting situations, the wide-range zoom lenses--the GOOD ONES, not the el-cheapo models--are really worth their cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgrading to a different camera won't make you a better photographer. Upgrading the photographer's (you) photographic knowledge and skill will.

If you don't understand most of what is in this group of tutorials, you need to if you want to make better photos.......http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

Doing photography well requires understand artistic technical information, like composition and lighting, as well as photographic technical information like, depth-of-field, white balance, dragging the shutter, color management & color spaces, image file types, image editing, how the shutter works, etc, etc, etc....

Last edited:
LOL - who is calling you a 'fauxtographer' for having an "EOS"?

Ignore them. They obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

Personally, I think you would be best off getting some better lenses and a flash before you upgrade the camera body. Something like a 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8 will blow the lenses you have away in terms of image quality. A 70-200L (there are 4, ranging in price from $600 ~ $2200) would be a great replacement for that 75-300.

If you buy a 'better' camera, but you're still using the same two entry level lenses, you won't notice as much of an improvement as you might expect.

LOL - who is calling you a 'fauxtographer' for having an "EOS"?

Ignore them. They obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

Personally, I think you would be best off getting some better lenses and a flash before you upgrade the camera body. Something like a 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8 will blow the lenses you have away in terms of image quality. A 70-200L (there are 4, ranging in price from $600 ~ $2200) would be a great replacement for that 75-300.

If you buy a 'better' camera, but you're still using the same two entry level lenses, you won't notice as much of an improvement as you might expect.
Yeah, I actually like my 18-55mm better than the 75-300. Thank you for the info. Also, thanks to Derrel for the video! They didn't actually call "me" a fake photographer for having an EOS, but I saw it somewhere else where so called pro photographers make fun of us who have less expensive DSLR cameras like me. Ohwell, I ignore it. The joke about my old graveyard thing was from a friend who was joking around. I love the old ones...that date back to 1800's lol.

Yeah, I actually like my 18-55mm better than the 75-300. Thank you for the info. Also, thanks to Derrel for the video! They didn't actually call "me" a fake photographer for having an EOS, but I saw it somewhere else where so called pro photographers make fun of us who have less expensive DSLR cameras like me. Ohwell, I ignore it. The joke about my old graveyard thing was from a friend who was joking around. I love the old ones...that date back to 1800's lol.
Camera snobs are fun to play with. They think throwing money at something will make one better yet they usually have no idea how to use what they already have. It's so easy to make most of them look really stupid.

Um, EOS is all of the current Canon Digital SLR camera bodies, so... I am a fauxtographer too with my 1D mark III, 5d mark II, 7D and 50D.
If the body is an issue for people use a sharpie and color in the T3i. If the size is too little and people think it looks "fake" and that bothers you? Get a battery grip for it. It'll double in size REAL QUICK.
It's an awesome and capable camera and until you feel the limits of it you'd be throwing money away to buy another camera body. Your money is better invested into good lenses.
You could go up to the 7D, but it'd be a kind of silly upgrade. yes, there are some things the 7d has or can do that the T3i can't, but not enough to really warrant an upgrade.
The quality is all in your lenses anyway.
You have the typical case of "penis envy." A LOT of photographers who start with a smaller, entry level get it and it's just plain silly. You have a really awesome camera that has some amazing capabilities.
What do you own in your current lenses?

The two lenses you do mention are both pretty low quality glass. Depending on what you are shooting I'd invest in a 70-200 f/2.8 and something in the range of 24-70 f/2.8. Those will cover your everything bases. Then you can begin to add in some awesome primes for specific uses.
What is the budget here?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back